Greetings from Africa

Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:30 am

Greetings. I'm Sean and I live in South Africa. I've been playing guitar for a number of years, and last year I inherited a G&L ASAT from a very dear family member. I've discovered that getting information on this instrument is rather tricky.
I used to be active on a local guitar forum in SA many years ago, and I've not really been a part of any forums since. As a result, it's taken me awhile to navigate the basics around here, I'm still trying to work out the registry here (despite reading the how to) so I'm thinking I need to spend more time on that.

Here are some pics of the guitar (if I don't somehow manage to screw that up). It belonged to my brother in law for a number of years. He had a lovely collection of guitars and for some reason he never played this one. It is virtually unused so is in immaculate condition. I was given the choice between a Korean built Parker Hornet and this instrument, and this is the one I chose. I've not yet really started playing it. I'm guessing it's a late 90's build, and it feels a little strange to be handling what's essentially I suppose a brand new 20 year old guitar.

Anyway, any assistance in getting some information on the instrument will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Greetings from Africa

Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:57 am

Welcome to our site! :wave:

What you have is an ASAT Deluxe model. It was likely built in 1997 or '98.
The neck is a 3-bolt Birdseye Maple neck which was stock with this model.
The body is a flame Maple top on Mahogany with a Clear Red finish.

The stock pickups would have been Seymour Duncan '59N neck and JB bridge pickup.
Yours looks like they were replaced with some unknown pickups including chrome pickup surrounds (nice look :thumbup: ).

Here is some more information located in our Knowledgebase: List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA),
Production List of G&L Instruments (USA) and Serial number significance.
Also see the 1996 - 1997 Memorabilia Album in our Gallery. You will find the 1996-97 G&L Catalog, 1996 ASAT Deluxe Ad slick and the 1997 Retail Price List.

Please do add your guitar to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:08 am

Welcome Sean!

The SN put the instrument in the 1999 range. What you have is an ASAT Deluxe. Here is a catalog page from 1998.

Mahogany body with maple cap
Birds Eye maple neck
Transparent Red Finish,, to bound.
Rear mount controls with mini toggle to split the HBs

Cheers, Dan

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:25 am

WitSok wrote:Welcome Sean!

The SN put the instrument in the 1999 range. What you have is an ASAT Deluxe. Here is a catalog page from 1998.

Mahogany body with maple cap
Birds Eye maple neck
Transparent Red Finish,, to bound.
Rear mount controls with mini toggle to split the HBs

Cheers, Dan

:oops: However, it could have been built in 1998, as it it a 3-bolt neck. IIRC, all guitars built in 1999 and later have 4-bolt necks. I will check with a contact at G&L to find out.

Note to self: have coffee BEFORE posting in the morning. :lol:

Sorry for the confusion.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Ah, thanks guys, very much appreciated. Craig, I'll list it in the registry soon. It's interesting that the pups were changed out and the chrome rings added. It certainly was not done by my brother in law. Thanks for the info :)

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:39 pm

What material would the nut be made from?
The hard case (which is G&L branded) seems a bit strange. It seems cut out to suit a Strat shaped body more than a Tele shape?

Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:16 pm

Sean335 wrote:What material would the nut be made from?
The hard case (which is G&L branded) seems a bit strange. It seems cut out to suit a Strat shaped body more than a Tele shape?

The stock nut material for your guitar would have been Micarta. See: Nut Material used over the years at G&L.

The stock case for the ASAT Deluxe would be a G&G Tolex case. For details, see: Album: 1998-March, 2010 Modern Tolex Case.

Hope this helps.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:35 am

What a sweet guitar, and I bet it sounds good too. Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of folks on here that possess a wealth of knowledge and information surrounding these wonderful instruments.

Play that thing loud and in good health and check back often, you never know what little tid-bit of information or cool stories and insight you will find.

Tom

Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Dave looked up this serial number but could not find it:

Hi Craig,

That number looks like around spring of ‘99 looking at other ASAT Deluxes in the log. I thought that should be 4-bolt then with the CLF serial number.

So, I tried looking for all the ASAT Deluxes in ‘99 and found a handful in Clear Red but not one that fits this description.

Sorry about that; if there’s an order number or other info in a pickup pocket maybe I can search another way.

Thanks, Craig!

Dave

Sean335, if you could look in the pickup pockets for the order number, Dave might be able to search on that.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Craig wrote:Dave looked up this serial number but could not find it:

Hi Craig,

That number looks like around spring of ‘99 looking at other ASAT Deluxes in the log. I thought that should be 4-bolt then with the CLF serial number.

So, I tried looking for all the ASAT Deluxes in ‘99 and found a handful in Clear Red but not one that fits this description.

Sorry about that; if there’s an order number or other info in a pickup pocket maybe I can search another way.

Thanks, Craig!

Dave

Sean335, if you could look in the pickup pockets for the order number, Dave might be able to search on that.

Thanks Dave and Craig. When I get a chance I'll check the pockets and let you know what I find.

Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:32 pm

FZTNT wrote:What a sweet guitar, and I bet it sounds good too. Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of folks on here that possess a wealth of knowledge and information surrounding these wonderful instruments.

Play that thing loud and in good health and check back often, you never know what little tid-bit of information or cool stories and insight you will find.

Tom

Thank you Tom, will do exactly that :)