Greetings From the Left Coast

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:55 am

Wanted to take a few minutes to say hello from out here on the left coast, Ventura, California. I’ve been reading this forum for quite a few months and enjoy all of the great posts, especially the CLF Research content. Thanks Craig for posting those!
I've been a long time G&L fan but only recently have I owned a real G&L. I've been playing guitar for 23 years now. Started at 15 with MIM Strat, still have it and still love it. I play various styles from rock, country, and jazz to fingerstyle acoustic. Mostly in garage bands and at home.
I always loved Robert Poss' SC-1s but for me a two pickup guitar is a requirement, so the SC-2 has been on my radar for quite a while. This past December I was able to get a Fullerton Red SC-2 with a trem. Shortly after that I pulled the trigger on a non-trem Himalaya Blue SC-2. These are great guitars and I've been having a ton of fun learning how to use the MFD pickups. Quite dynamic.
Prior to getting these guitars, I built a partcaster with Z coils. Love this guitar as well. I took an unfinished strat body from Tone Bomb. Applied a burned finish (blow torch style) plus tru oil and renaissance wax. Installed the z coils on a custom pickguard, no trem plus a rolling bender along the G&L style PTB. Neck is a roasted maple with rosewood warmoth neck, compound radius (10-16) and their standard thin neck. Photos galleries attached for all.

http://imgur.com/gallery/OOT8pvk

http://imgur.com/gallery/K8Hv9H1

http://imgur.com/gallery/HMPSdFg

Re: Greetings From the Left Coast

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Welcome to the forum! Nice looking guitars! That Comanche style partscaster looks great!

I have a feeling that your red SC-2 used to be mine. I sold it to a guy in Ventura a couple years ago. I like the SC-2 models like that, without the body contours... they are more like the vintage models, and have better balance, less nose dive. I like to think they sound better too, but I'm not sure...

Cheers,
Chris

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:31 am

Pretty cool - Don't see G&L project guitars enough; sort of surprising I don't see more non-G&Ls with MFDs given they're sold separate. Guess people tend to go for the whole package if they want that :) I really wish I picked up a Himalayan SC2 when Musicians Friend blew them out...

Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:49 am

Welcome jdetente! I too have been digging the CLF Research content. I'm also a fan of the SC-2. Been hoping for CLF version of the SC-2 (I love the old control plate design) and a HG-2. If those come out I'll have explaining to do when I come home with two more guitars!

Nice partscaster, looks great. I was surprised how much I like roasted maple. My expectation was it would just a e cosmetic difference, but is wasn't. It is like the neck is lighter and harder. Love how they feel (durable and so smooth to get around the fingerboard quicker). If it was a regular option from G&L, I would seriously consider it for any made to order purchase. What's your impression of the roasted maple?

Cheers, Dan