Greetings from Salt Lake City

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:58 pm

Hello all, I'm here to learn more about selecting my first G&L! I'm 54 and have been playing since I was a kid. Had my first band at 14 and played what's now referred to as 'classic rock' - haha. I'm still stuck in the sound of the late 60's and early-mid seventies, and see no reason to change what I like. I've owned many guitars over the years, but I've mellowed. I find I prefer clean to breakup tube sound, full, round, warm, tubes with a little transparent overdrive, chorus, delay, and reverb. My other guitars are a Takamine EF360SC TT, Guild Starfire II Bass -LOVE IT!, and a Rickenbacker 620 (for sale - too jangley).

This all started when I set out to buy a Jazzmaster. After investigating my options, I discovered that after buying a mod shop, I'd end up replacing the bridge and pups, tuners, can't get exactly the color combo I want, etc. IOW - a hassle. That's when I remembered G&L and started looking into it. I've fallen in love with the Doheny, and will be visiting the dealer this week to discuss options. I'm hoping to get some questions answered and prepare myself for selecting tone woods, neck shape and radius, and color options.

Unfortunately, the dealer here doesn't have many Legacy models in stock, mostly Tributes, so I'll be ordering somewhat blind. I'll be anxious to learn more about your experiences in ordering and the result. I really want to purchase a Forever Guitar. :thumbup:

My other wishlist guitar will be either a Gretch, 335 type (Heritage?), or possibly Yamaha ASM2000, Ibanez JSM100. I will be playing and recording Jazz/R&B, Adult Contemporary, soft rock, and sounds of the early 70's. I will be using this guitar for chords, comping, leads, and fingerpicking. I have big hands, and don't like tightly scrunching my fingers together. I also don't like to fight to reach with my pinky. I will probably set this up for 10's or possibly 11's.

I'll post a thread in the other forum about specs I like so far. Danny :wave:

Re: Greetings from Salt Lake City

Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:44 pm

The knowledge base is fantastic. Thanks for putting in the work and photos. It's VERY helpful.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:21 pm

Hi Danny! :greet:

Welcome and you are sure to find may Doheny lovers round here if you have specific questions about that model. Maybe you can find a used G&L locally to get your hands on and get an idea of a neck size. If you find a neck style you like you can always work with your local dealer to custom order exactly what you want. There are MANY enablers round here, and we can all point you in multiple directions to buy multiple guitars. (that seems to happen a lot with G&L owners :evilgrin: )

Jump in often and send updates on the progress of yer G&L search :searching:

Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks, we had snow today so I won't be driving the 50 miles roundtrip. I'm kinda bummed, but keeping my fingers crossed for better weather tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to getting one in my hands to try. My dealer (sounds illegal!!) has a tribute in stock, so at least I'll get an idea of the size. He has a few USA's to try the neck out. I can't wait.