So it turns out...

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:03 pm

Love guitars and what they do for your insides when the tone is just right and you hit a movin' groove. I've owned a Gibson LP (mahogany/flame maple cap) since mid 2000's and recently bought an Epi Sheraton to add that semi-hollow tone. And then I started looking for what I thought would be a Fender American Std strat for a sweet single coil sound. In my research I ran across a company I never heard of before and when i played one was astounded at not just the tone but the ease of play compared to the aforementioned Am Std. My new Fullerton Deluxe S-500 cherry burst is on order and should arrive next week. G&L really seems to be a special company and I anxiously await delivery. (I originally ordered a Deluxe S-500 mahogany/maple cap, but after more research and some good advice here on the tone i wanted, I switched to the Fullerton deluxe ash body.)

Musicians I like are Ry Cooder, Lightnin Hopkins, John Hammond Jr., Howlin' Wolf, Elmore James, John Lee Hooker and you get the idea.

This year, my wife got completely clear of cancer that we've been fighting for two years and I have a lot to be thankful for this thanksgiving weekend. I think we all do.

My name is Brad and my handle is Palmtree. In college, I was 6'4" (still am) and quite thin (no longer), blessed with a full head of thick hair (alas also no longer). My friends decided I resembled the thin trunk and floppy fronds of the ubiquitous southern California palm tree. The name stuck.

Here's to a wonderful Christmas coming up and a KILLER 2019!

Palmtree

:sign0011:

Re: So it turns out...

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Awesome - Def. look forward to pics of the ash S500 , absolutely a classic wood for Strat-type guitars. MFD singles are really killer pickups, they should allow you to tread the same ground as a Stratocaster when the treble/bass are set appropriately, and give you a bit 'more' when you need it. Be careful, G&Ls are an addiction :)

Glad to hear the good news about your wife and always cool to hear someone SoCal local chime in; these guitars are part of 'our' history. Enjoy!

Re: So it turns out...

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:37 am

Welcome Brad and I hope to see you chime in often and let us know about all the G&Ls that follow you home. I too was looking for a particular Fender guitar when I discovered this company called G&L. Like you, I was amazed by the craftsmanship and attention to detail, then he tone and sounds that came out of them were quite unique for a company that really only Built several thousand guitars a year, not in a day. 15 guitars later I would say I'm hooked although I do still enjoy my SG. I love all Mahogany instruments with Ebony boards. Something so deep and warm yet able to take you to the moon if you want. I hope you enjoy that S500 and do post some pictures when it arrives.

Welcome again to the cult and remember, you can never have too many G&Ls.

Tom