New lefty member from Maryland

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi all! I'm a left handed player near Baltimore, Maryland. I bought my first G&L two years ago but just now decided to sign up on the forum. I currently own two - a white 2015 Legacy HB and a black 1986 Invader, I love them both. It's just a matter of time before I add another one to the line up!

A little about myself and my G&Ls:
I was never into strats or traditional s-shape guitars until I bought my Legacy. Always been more of an explorer and flying V fan, I still am, but one day I took a shot and bought my white legacy, purchased totally blind, because it just looked so hot. Since then I've fallen in love with it and sort of become addicted to the brand. I love the finish quality, the unique bridges, the necks, they're just really great instruments. I keep the Legacy and Invader in different tunings - they both get pretty regular recording work and they're my go-to guitars now.

I also really like using different gear from everyone else - I play in a metal band called Seventh Seal and you can probably imagine that G&L's aren't very common in the heavier scenes, so I get lots of questions and compliments over it at our shows. Part of it is a desire to stand out but I've also been really satisfied with my tone lately.

Anyway, I'm very glad to be here and connect with all of you! Can't say how many times I've followed a G&L related web search to this forum, it seems like a great community and resource. I'll leave a few photos and video clips below if you want to check out the Legacy in action :)

- Alden

A quick live clip from a gig over the summer:
phpBB [video]

One of our music videos:
phpBB [video]

Re: New lefty member from Maryland

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:46 am

welcome, Alden!
nice guitars - the invader is especially cool.
do you use the original pickups on these guitars?
i enjoyed the Samsara video - you guys have something special going on there.
haven't been to LV426 recently, but i hear the grasshoppers there can be fairly nasty :)

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:18 am

drjho7 wrote:welcome, Alden!
nice guitars - the invader is especially cool.
do you use the original pickups on these guitars?
i enjoyed the Samsara video - you guys have something special going on there.
haven't been to LV426 recently, but i hear the grasshoppers there can be fairly nasty :)

Haha! Always fun when someone recognizes that number in my screen name.

Yep, all the pickups are original except I swapped the Duncan JB in the Legacy for a Dimarzio Crunch Lab. I'm so happy I found this Invader, I'm a big Cantrell fan and I really like the old rampage style bodies. I had it refretted but otherwise it's totally stock. The Schaller pickup in it really surprised me, I was expecting to replace it but honestly it's awesome for what I need.

And glad you liked the song! This band has been around for a long time, we're really close friends and just try to do our own thing, to the best level we can.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Welcome fellow lefty! Nice guitars & rare too! Congrats & enjoy!

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:27 pm

Welcome Alden! At first I was a LP guy... Seemed like everyone had a Fender, so that kind of kept my interest down. Seemed like everyone I picked up the action was so high that I just couldn't bond with them. Found about about G&L why shopping for a guitar for my daughter and was pleasantly surprised how different they felt. So when I finally decided to get a single coil guitar I looked into the brand deeper and decided the ASAT Special was for me. Now I'm obsessed with the brand. I love the tone (especially the MFDs), quality and the looks.

And glad you liked the song! This band has been around for a long time, we're really close friends and just try to do our own thing, to the best level we can.

You guys are really tight and have some great chemistry. If we could all be so luck to have a group of friend we've been playing together for years. Nicely done!

Cheers,
Dan

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:11 am

Thanks Dan! Yeah we definitely feel like we have a special relationship and situation in this band. The group has been around since 2001, they released an album and two EPs in the mid 2000's, then I joined in early 2010 after their previous guitarist left and we've put out one album and one EP with this line up, working on another album now.

We don't always agree on things but we value each other's input and experience so much, and we definitely don't take that relationship for granted :)

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:04 am

Took some new eye candy shots of my Invader, since it's probably the more interesting of the two :)

Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:46 am

Nice playing and love your guitars !! Really love the Invader , I been wanting a Leo era Invader myself with wide neck and even thought of offering my Cavalier or 3 bolt S500 as trade up or down

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:04 pm

Wow, sweet Invader, and you know what they say about black guitars? I think my yellow ones sound better than black but that's just the cosmic sonic quality of the screaming yellow finish.

Hey, Fumble, let's talk about that Cavalier, What you got?

Tom

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:33 pm

Nice Invader!

I'm still searching for the HG-1...

Cheers,

Will

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:40 am

FZTNT wrote:Wow, sweet Invader, and you know what they say about black guitars? I think my yellow ones sound better than black but that's just the cosmic sonic quality of the screaming yellow finish.

Hey, Fumble, let's talk about that Cavalier, What you got?

Tom

I'm kinda in the "One In One Out " mode … my Cav is a 1984 E model restored by Gabe but with no paint refinish requested by the then/owner so it's player grade cosmetics , fantastic working order just mojo type paint that I had my local G&L dealer refret to medium jumbos (Gabe installed Vintage frets per customer reqest ) I would like to trade up or down for a Invader or Rampage preferably 8 pounds or less , shoot me a PM

Eric

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:47 am

Haven't posted in a while, just added a new G&L to my line up! Had my eyes on this one for a while and had to get it. 2009 lefty Legacy Deluxe in redburst. I want to confirm the year for myself but it's in great shape.

With my white Legacy:

Didn't come with the spec sheet unfortunately. It's got a thicker neck than I usually play but the sustain is really good. Even unplugged I can tell the sustain is greater than on my white one. The white one has this airy / smooth tone unplugged, which I like, but this new deluxe has more of a snappy sound and the notes ring louder. The neck binding is really nice, too.

Thanks Brian, if you're on here!

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:24 pm

I'm kinda likin' the redburst!

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:10 pm

LeftyLV426 wrote:Haven't posted in a while, just added a new G&L to my line up! Had my eyes on this one for a while and had to get it. 2009 lefty Legacy Deluxe in redburst. I want to confirm the year for myself but it's in great shape.

With my white Legacy:

Didn't come with the spec sheet unfortunately. It's got a thicker neck than I usually play but the sustain is really good. Even unplugged I can tell the sustain is greater than on my white one. The white one has this airy / smooth tone unplugged, which I like, but this new deluxe has more of a snappy sound and the notes ring louder. The neck binding is really nice, too.

Thanks Brian, if you're on here!

Your 2009 Legacy Deluxe was not be available with the spec sheet. They were not available until 2011.
The body wood on yours is a flame maple top on swamp ash. The stock neck would be a #1. Your white Legacy body wood should be alder.
They are both gorgeous! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Please do add your G&L instruments to our G&L Registry.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:07 am

Awesome, thanks for the info Craig! Okay that makes sense about the spec sheet.

I much prefer the slim C neck that the white one has, the red one is super thick but also kind of fun for a change of feel. I figured it might be swamp Ash so thanks for the confirmation :)

Thanks again! I'll get around to the registry soon, too.