Original pickup for Legacy Bass

Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:12 pm

Hi guys,
I recently acquired a Legacy Bass, serial# B023327. Candy Apple red. It replaces a honey burst model that I bought new in '92, which was unfortunately lifted some time ago.
I bought this sight-unseen from New Jersey (I live in Oregon). I normally would never buy an instrument over the internet, but it was the first one I saw for sale in 15 years of searching, so I took the chance. The good news: It all looks to be original with one glaring exception. The Bad news: someone replaced the pickup with an EMG. I'm looking to put an original back in there, any suggestions as to where to look for one?

Re: Original pickup for Legacy Bass

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:35 pm

TheeSeanT wrote:Hi guys,
I recently acquired a Legacy Bass, serial# B023327. Candy Apple red. It replaces a honey burst model that I bought new in '92, which was unfortunately lifted some time ago.
I bought this sight-unseen from New Jersey (I live in Oregon). I normally would never buy an instrument over the internet, but it was the first one I saw for sale in 15 years of searching, so I took the chance. The good news: It all looks to be original with one glaring exception. The Bad news: someone replaced the pickup with an EMG. I'm looking to put an original back in there, any suggestions as to where to look for one?

The original pickup was a Gotoh Vintage-Style Alnico. In 2013 G&L started building the G&L Split-Coil Alnico V for the LB-100 bass. See: List of pickups used in G&L basses.
The G&L pickup is available in the G&L On-Line store: PICKUP - LB-100 SPLIT-COIL.

Hope this helps and welcome to our site. :wave:

Re: Original pickup for Legacy Bass

Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:58 pm

Awright Craig, THX for the info!

I'll do some snooping around to see if I can find the original, and if not I'll go with the G&L one. Appreciate the welcome and the info.
The bass is a dream, plays amazingly, once I get a good pickup in there it'll be sweet!