Greetings and Salutations!

Mon May 21, 2018 1:07 pm

It's time for the classic introductory post!

Hi! My name's George, aka GVDub, and I've been playing guitar for over half a century. I'm also a tech geek who writes about guitars and gear for a living. Been working in the MI (musical instrument, for the uninitiated) industry for over 30 years, between working in retail music and for manufacturers (Midiman/M-Audio, Line 6 and others).

Haven't owned a G&L up to this point, but after having spent the last several days with a loaner Fullerton Standard Legacy in Ruby Red Metallic, that may be changing very soon. Even got pre-approval from the comptroller (aka my wife) for the purchase after she heard me play it on a gig this last weekend.

Re: Greetings and Salutations!

Mon May 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Welcome George!

Haven't owned a G&L up to this point, but after having spent the last several days with a loaner Fullerton Standard Legacy in Ruby Red Metallic, that may be changing very soon. Even got pre-approval from the comptroller (aka my wife) for the purchase after she heard me play it on a gig this last weekend.

I think you will be very happy with the Legacy. Probably wise to get pre-approval...

Cheers, Dan

Wed May 23, 2018 11:01 am

welcome to the group. The Legacy is a very versatile guitar. Post some pics please.

Tom

Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 pm

I did pull the trigger on the very guitar I'd gotten to review. It was one of those times when the instrument just said, "You and me, buddy. That's all there is to it." The clincher was playing it at the gig Saturday night and not only having an inspired night, but having folks in the audience and in the band tell me how great it sounded. My main "S-Type" has been a '65 that I've owned since 1976, so I appreciate the combination of the vintage sound of the alnico pickkups, the flexiility of the PTB system and the incredible playability and fit and finish of the Legacy.

BTW, if anybody ever needs to know, an original Floyd Roses trem arm fits the DF bridge, when you slide the little collar up and tighten up the set screw. I'll swap it back to the guitar I grabbed it from when I get the "official" arm from G&L.

I've actually got a professionally lit portrait photo of it that I'll be posting at some point.

<cheap plug> If anybody in the L.A. area wants to see it in person, I'll be playing with the Bobby Spencer Blues Trio at Pip's on La Brea (La Brea and Pico) Saturday night from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. </cheap plug>

Thu May 24, 2018 4:39 am

Welcome aboard George!

A word of caution:
A wise man once wrote:"Exposure to sites such as this, which provide concrete evidence (both pictorial and testimonial) of Leo Fender's genius and handiwork has been shown to significantly increase the risk of fanatic brand loyalty and compulsive/addictive purchasing of G&L instruments."

I was pulled in by the intrigue of the G&L story, romanced by a particular Legacy that was put up for sale in my area, then enslaved to the brand as I discovered that my Legacy, was just one of many jewels in Leo Fender's treasure trove.