Pickup advice?

Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Hullo all. 35 years a guitarist and just purchased my first G&L. A humble Leagcy Tribute and I adore it. It’s only been 48 hours but I can’t put it down. Thinking of a replacement bridge pickup and would appreciate any thoughts/advice. Thanks in advance.

Re: Pickup advice?

Sun May 20, 2018 5:34 am

Welcome- One choice is an S500 single coil, to 'keep it in the family.' Otherwise, it would help to know what sort of tone you're looking for out of the bridge. Seymour Duncan makes a variety of hotter single coils and single-sized humbuckers that can get tighter, higher output, add bass to the sound etc. My personal choice would be the STK-S6 Custom Stack Plus, which is a somewhat hotter stacked single that retains Strat character.

Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 am

StretchyBlax wrote:Hullo all. 35 years a guitarist and just purchased my first G&L. A humble Leagcy Tribute and I adore it. It’s only been 48 hours but I can’t put it down. Thinking of a replacement bridge pickup and would appreciate any thoughts/advice. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to our site. :wave:

Which version of the Tribute Legacy did you get? Please post photos because it does not exist with them. ;)

See this post in the Announcements for details on posting photos and general navigation of the site: Welcome! Read This First.

Looking forward to seeing your Tribute Legacy and don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry, too.

Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks so much Danley! Yes, I indeed should of been more specific about what tone I want out of the bridge. I think we are thinking on similar lines as to something slightly hotter (like the Seymour Duncan stack) but retaining "Strat character". Really appreciate your advice and I will look that up!
Craig, thanks for the warm welcome! The Legacy Tribute is the one recently sold by Guitar Center and Musicians Friend as a "Limited Edition". The body finish is described as "Irish Ale" with a tortoise shell pickguard. Pics to follow!

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:42 am

HI, are you able to confirm whether this limited edition Irish Ale Tribute Legacy has the authentic G&L Alnico V pickups? It's just, I heard that some of these MF/GC limited edition models had alternative pickups.

Also, on the GC website, it states that this model has the 'Modern C' neck profile as well as a 9.5" neck radius, which doesn't sound right for a Tribute Legacy model: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/

I'm interested to know as I am considering getting one of these also.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:54 am

SCAD wrote:HI, are you able to confirm whether this limited edition Irish Ale Tribute Legacy has the authentic G&L Alnico V pickups? It's just, I heard that some of these MF/GC limited edition models had alternative pickups.

Also, on the GC website, it states that this model has the 'Modern C' neck profile as well as a 9.5" neck radius, which doesn't sound right for a Tribute Legacy model: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/

I'm interested to know as I am considering getting one of these also.

The Tribute Series limited editions which have Alnico pickups are made at the Cort factory to G&L's specifications. See: Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups.

For accurate specifications on the MF/GC limited editions, see: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Hope this helps.