I Never Introduced Myself

Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:53 am

My G&L count to date is: '87 SC3 , '81 F100 and Tribute Carved Top ASAT Deluxe; latter two inherited from my Dad.

I played guitar/bass extensively when I was younger and took a long break where I didn't touch one for about five years. Got back in the game as a hobbyist primarily, around the join date of this forum.

I keep myself encouraged to practice and play by buying new stuff :) Fender Offsets feel most like home to me; I have a restored '66 Mustang, an MIJ Jaguar, a random mutt Jazzmaster and a Squier Jazzmaster among other Strats, Teles etc. G&Ls are made down the street from me in Fullerton - I support my hometown heroes :D

Usually go amp-less and play through a PA out of an interface on my MacBook, but also have a Silverface Champ, Vox AC4 and Fender Libra 4x12 combo when I want to get loud.

Re: I Never Introduced Myself

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:18 am

Hi Danley,

Thanks for the update enjoy your input. I like your logic,
I keep myself encouraged to practice and play by buying new stuff
Will use that one for sure.

Not familiar with the Fender Libra amp. Will look it up, but post some pics and tell us how it sounds. Here's to the Fullerton heroes.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:52 am

Thanks! They are Fender's second shot at Solid State, ~'69 -'70 . Not very loud (for 100 watts,) sounds like a broken radio with any distortion/overdrive effects, but quite nice at lower volumes clean; very solid/smooth and full. That said, the original JBLs were pilfered ages ago and the Rocket 50s in it now aren't the best choice for anything. Subtle vibrato/tremolo and the eq knobs have minimal effect; it is unclear whether this was an original Libra 'feature.' Reverb is beautiful. Knobs aren't original.

Another solid state oddball to mention- a Jordan Trouper inherited from my uncle. Also not very loud; but has a nice mellow tone and AMAZING tremolo.

I'm afraid to use it right now because I replaced the broken power cord when I was in college; that repair now looks terrifying to me so I need to take it to a tech and get it sorted properly.

I'm also reminded why I changed the mint guard off my Mustang, this pic is years old.

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Thank you for your introduction and welcome. :wave:

Check out the Custom Shop Doheny Semi-Hollow they are building: G&L Custom Shop Doheny Semi-Hollow in progress ...! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Sweet Mustang. That is the very guitar I was looking for when I discovered G&L...never looked back.

Welcome to the group and play in good health always.

Tom

Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Love the Mustang, welcome to the board!

Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Welcome Danley, Good to have you with us \m/

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:49 pm

Danley wrote:My G&L count to date is: '87 SC3 , '81 F100 and Tribute Carved Top ASAT Deluxe; latter two inherited from my Dad.

I played guitar/bass extensively when I was younger and took a long break where I didn't touch one for about five years. Got back in the game as a hobbyist primarily, around the join date of this forum.

I keep myself encouraged to practice and play by buying new stuff :) Fender Offsets feel most like home to me; I have a restored '66 Mustang, an MIJ Jaguar, a random mutt Jazzmaster and a Squier Jazzmaster among other Strats, Teles etc. G&Ls are made down the street from me in Fullerton - I support my hometown heroes :D

Usually go amp-less and play through a PA out of an interface on my MacBook, but also have a Silverface Champ, Vox AC4 and Fender Libra 4x12 combo when I want to get loud.

I lived in the northern tip of Anaheim just south of Orangethorpe off of State Collage from 81-85. G&L was almost a stones throw away, but at that time I knew nothing about them. lol

I play through a interface on a MacBook too... gotta love GarageBand eh?

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:53 pm

For sure! I'm actually technically in Anaheim off Orangethorpe as well, in the little area where no one quite knows if you're in Yorba Linda/Placentia/Anaheim. Close enough to Fullerton :D

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Danley wrote:For sure! I'm actually technically in Anaheim off Orangethorpe as well, in the little area where no one quite knows if you're in Yorba Linda/Placentia/Anaheim. Close enough to Fullerton :D

Yep...I think some people called that area.. "the panhandle". lol

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:00 pm

I love the Mustang! Our rhythm guitar player from my teen band days played one... same year I think. He told me that he just recently sold it! Had I known he was selling it I probably would have bought it.
Here's the guitar... he's the guy with the Buddy Holly glasses next to me with my first electric... a Gretsch.

Local newspaper clipping... 1967.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 pm

Nice hair! I have a love/hate relationship with Mustangs. They're tricky to set up even compared to a Jaguar/Jazzmaster and the giant trem cigar gets in the way. But the trem works beautifully when it's set up well, and the thin body excels at fret access. It's also one of the few guitars where the "middle" position is useable to me. It's changed a bit since that pic; new pickguard and decal:

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:28 pm

LMAO! yeah, I crack up every time I see that pic.
Just after that pic was taken I got a new '67 Ric 615. My Mom sold it when I was in the Army, and I've never stopped crying since every time think about it. It was Fireglo, and had the accent vibrato that worked beautifully. They stay in tune perfectly, but don't give you a lot of pitch change. My friend said he sold his for $1800. That doesn't seem like much to me when a Strat from that era can go for 10-15 grand.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:59 pm

BTW... this is where I lived when I was out there in the 80's. It was a 4 Plex apartment on 2517 E Park Ln. The brown roofed house in the middle.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8541304,-117.8824094,62m/data=!3m1!1e3

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Been meaning to get more interested in RICs :D They're another local company I should patronize (let me save up for a few years though.) Your old house is a few blocks from a some of the best craft breweries in SoCal (The Bruery in particular receives a lot of nationwide renown and produces some very difficult to obtain beer.) Yeah, I would have assumed that area was Placentia or Fullerton.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 pm

Last year I bought a Ric 325C64, it's a super short scale (21") and felt like it was made for a child. It's the guitar John Lennon played because he had small hands. I probably would have kept it, but it came brand new with a warped neck. 3 grand and they couldn't even properly inspect it? I had it sent back and decided not to deal with Ric again after talking to a rep there about the problem. He talked to me like I was some kind of idiot. When I returned the guitar to "Guitar Center" the Tech there said that about 1 in every 5 Ric's have a neck problem. The Manager where I get my G&L's from said they quit carrying Ric's because they had too many issues with them. I guess if you get a good one they are great, but they seem to have too many quality issues.
Yeah, I sometimes drove right by the Ric factory in Santa Anna on my way home from work. On Fridays a few of us would go to the "Payroll Bar" in Satna Anna. *LOL*

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:31 pm

Oh you like offsets? Check this one out and read about their guitars, very very cool idea this guy came up with. I almost bought one... made in the San Fran area.

https://www.prismaguitars.com/collections/guitars/products/toledo