Hi guys...

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Figured I better introduce myself since I've already been posting on the boards.

I came here to see if anyone could help me with a tuning key problem I have on my new USA Legacy and everyone has been great! Lots to feedback and suggestions, so I know now this is the place to come when I might need a little advise.

My first G&L was a Legacy I bought new back in 94. I was looking for a Strat type guitar and the salesman says "here ya go... this is a G&L Strat made by Leo Fender". I played it for a while and fell in love with it. In 2008 I bought a SC-2 and then in 2017 I went crazy! I ordered and bought 3 build to spec G&L's... an ASAT classic, then a ASAT HH RMC (with a Bigsby to play Surf music) and lastly a new Legacy to replace my '94 because it has a bad neck.

I played in a band in my teens but quit playing when I got drafted in the Army. In the 80's I bought a Fender acoustic and slowly got back in to playing, jamming with a neighbor outside in the summer. In 94 I finally got back to playing electric guitars with my Legacy and just play for fun now. In 2015 I retired so I've started recording in GarageBand on my MacBook using backing tracks to keep my mind active. I have some songs I made on ReverbNation. It's listed as my website here in my profile if anyone wants to listen.

Again guys... thanks for al the feedback I received with my Legacy issue!

Todd

Re: Hi guys...

Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:22 pm

Welcome! I would try to find a luthier to sort the neck on your Legacy; I've had them salvage warped necks before through a combination of heat clamping and careful leveling of the frets :) Might not be dead after all.

Yep, recording my own covers of songs on GarageBand is a hobby of mine... Still have to work on being more original myself and writing again one of these days, but it's enough to just stay in practice and stay interested right now.

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:18 pm

Danley wrote:Welcome! I would try to find a luthier to sort the neck on your Legacy; I've had them salvage warped necks before through a combination of heat clamping and careful leveling of the frets :) Might not be dead after all.

Yep, recording my own covers of songs on GarageBand is a hobby of mine... Still have to work on being more original myself and writing again one of these days, but it's enough to just stay in practice and stay interested right now.

Thanks for the Welcome!

I could have got it fixed when it first started going bad but it's too late now... I screwed it up royal. I tightened the truss rod so much that it started splitting the the "Bi-Cut" neck where it's glued together. So I took a dremel and ground out a thin area where it had split and filled it with dark wood filler. It looked real nice, kind of like a min Fender skunk stripe. Then the relief got real bad again but the truss rod nut had bottomed out so I added a couple washers and got it within spec. Then the filler started to pop out and the relief got worse again so I sanded it (again) and retightened the truss rod. It was good for some time but... the relief got real bad again. This time I snapped the truss rod nut off, but I knew there was still thread if I removed the washers, but they were wedged in the neck. I ended up cutting a big slot all the way down to the truss end so I could knock the washers out. I filled it back up and sanded it (again), put a new nut on and things were looking pretty good for a while until the relief got big again.
To make a long story shorter... I've sanded the neck so many times that it's real thin now and feels weird, plus the relief is about twice what it should be. It is playable, but I don't like it. Before I bought my new Legacy I inquired about having a new 3 bolt neck built by G&L. The wanted $625 for a Vintage gloss, 7.5 radius, vintage frets neck. I thought about it and decided for that kind of money I might just as well buy a whole new guitar and retire my '94.
I love the feel of my new Legacy with the 7.5 radius and the vintage frets, but now I miss the flatter 12" radius, med jumbo frets of my '94, so I may go ahead and have a new 3 bolt built. If I do, it will be the same standard natural satin, 12 " radius, med jumbo fret neck. I think a new standard neck will cost me around $400 bucks.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:22 am

Here's my '94 or as I call it.. "Skunky"! *LOL*

Aside from the bad neck it's pretty much in mint condition. I even replaced the worn out DF vibrato recently.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:29 am

And here's my new 2017 Legacy with the new unbleached bone nut I got from StewMac and installed. I love how the unbleached off white/brownish color goes with the vintage gloss tint!

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:13 am

And here's my ASAT HH RMC with the Bigsby. G&L did a beautiful job on this one... it even has roller saddles on the tune-o-matic bridge.

Hey, where is this? lololol

I replaced the Bigsby handle with a vintage cast aluminum one. It's thick and does't bend like the original thin stainless steel.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:46 am

BTW... this is my ReverbNation page where I have some cover songs I did with backing tracks.

https://www.reverbnation.com/todd10?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:26 am

You have great taste in colors; and yeah, maybe retire that neck but for sure keep an eye out for its replacement.

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:36 am

Nice guitars ! Welcome ! Your playing sounded good on your songs, well done .

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:38 am

glvourot wrote:Nice guitars ! Welcome ! Your playing sounded good on your songs, well done .

Thank you! Then you saw my ASAT classic there. I got it to do country music but haven't done anything yet. I always wanted a "Tele" and love the way it plays and the sound, but when I played it for the first time I kept reaching for the vibrato... and it wasn't there! That's where the ASAT HH RMC with the Bigsby comes in. ;)