Greetings. New guy here

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 am

Greetings,

I've been playing since 1984 and play Les Pauls mostly with a Strat thrown in. Every few years I go through phases where I like to check out different guitars and what not. I've gone through Charvel, PRS, Ibanez and some other stuff, but recently got a used G&L Legacy (USA) that came with Seymour Duncan rail pickups. A previous owner screwed in wood blocks around the tremolo bridge, essentially making it a fixed bridge. It's going back to Guitar Center, but the guitar itself....I really liked. The neck was perfection for me and even with what appeared to be a lacquer finish, was beautifully smooth. The guitar has some nice heft to it. I'm not crazy about the SD rails, but I love the playability of the guitar.

I've researching G&L guitars obsessively, learning about options and different pickups. I've never owned a "custom" guitar before, but WANT A CUSTOM G&L! The G&L I'm "borrowing" from Guitar Center really is a revelation in fine craftsmanship and what a Stratocaster type guitar can be.
Last edited by rauchman on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Greetings. New guy here

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:40 am

Welcome and good for you. It's always good to look around. I discovered G&L while looking for a vintage Fender Mustang and never looked back. Still don't have that mustang but I have quite a few guitars actually made while Leo Fender was making them. The last true Fender guitars. Play some other G&L's and see if you can find some Leo era ones to check out. You will be quite surprised at the quality and playability of any of them. I would also recommend the Comanche. I just picked up two of them and can't get enough time to play them, they have an amazing amount of different tones available. A most versatile guitar for sure.

Keep us posted on what you end up with and again, welcome to the forum.

Tom

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 pm

FZTNT wrote:Welcome and good for you. It's always good to look around. I discovered G&L while looking for a vintage Fender Mustang and never looked back. Still don't have that mustang but I have quite a few guitars actually made while Leo Fender was making them. The last true Fender guitars. Play some other G&L's and see if you can find some Leo era ones to check out. You will be quite surprised at the quality and playability of any of them. I would also recommend the Comanche. I just picked up two of them and can't get enough time to play them, they have an amazing amount of different tones available. A most versatile guitar for sure.

Keep us posted on what you end up with and again, welcome to the forum.

Tom

Appreciate the reply. What years would be Leo Fender made G&L's?

Thanks,
Ken

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:09 am

Hi Rauchman, welcome. Leo was in house 1980-3/91 at G&L. The company was sold to BBE the year following his death.
G&L guitars produced between 1980 and 3/91 are referred to as "Leo era" or "pre-BBE".

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:54 pm

What he said...

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks!

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Experiment- I have both a Comanche and an S-500. The CLF-100's in the Legacy are my favorite AlNiCo pickups. There are not losers in the group!