Hello everyone!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi folks, :wave:

So I was skimming the forum rules and it said to first post here, so I guess I'll do that!

Not really sure what to say about myself... I'm just a Canadian bedroom picker that got my first G&L S-500 -- admittedly a Tribute model since I wanted to get something a bit less expensive at first and maybe step up to a full blown USA G&L when I'm more familiar with my preferences and what not. I hope that's not a faux pas on my part -- it just seemed to be the most sensible stepping stone to a significantly better instrument while I offload some of my cheap guitars, all of which need TLC anyhow.

I'll likely own a Made in USA model some time in the next few years, but this one is more for tinkering and squeezing within my budget, as I'd also like to get my first tube amp (and a decent one at that!) sooner than later. I'm very much an amateur and can't really play my way out of a wet paper bag, but I can hack away at a bunch of different chords and play a bunch of riffs. Part of my logic is if I can figure out how to set the instrument up properly and get some decent gear, I'll play more and justify the expense of a really well crafted instrument. :evilgrin:

My main reason for joining was to ask a few questions about the schematic wiring diagram (http://www.glguitars.com/schematics/S-500_schematic_blockdiagram.pdf) for an S-500 Tribute model. It's a beautiful guitar but it needs a bit of TLC, as I got it off of a Reverb listing. Apparently it was PLEK'd and it looks like the replacement (or adjusted) nut slot on the low E was cut too deeply since it buzzes a bit on the open string -- some days worse than others, and I haven't made any adjustments to the truss rod or saddle heights since I figured I should maybe let it acclimate after being shipped. Anyway, as per usual... I digress. :silent:

I suspect I might be getting swallowed up in that temptation to buy gear instead of what's actually really necessary -- practice, practice, practice! I find myself more inclined to maintain and use something that's really well crafted though, so that's part of my rationalization process. Maybe I'm a bit of a dope for joining to ask questions about pot values and if I'm understanding the cap values / signal flow correctly in the circuit schematic, as well as maybe cutting a couple pickguards as a project and swapping out the pickups like a heathen since I wanted to try out some Lace Sensors... but there you have it!

Re: Hello everyone!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Welcome Fab!

No shame in being a bedroom picker. To me,the most important thing is to have fun. The more you play, the better you'll get. Nick Jaffe new tag line is "play more, play better!" I think you made the sensible decision start with an affordable yet good quality instrument and then figure out what you like. I have a couple Tribute models: ASAT Special Deluxe and JB-2. They're both fun instruments. The ASAT Special Deluxe was my first G&L and has led to more...

I'd give the guitar some time to acclimate and then give a setup. My gut instinct says you should be able to adjust it and eliminate the buzz. Back off the truss rod a bit and raise the saddle a bit.

Cheers and welcome again, Dan

OBTW, I consider myself a hack... But a hack who is having fun!

Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Welcome fab. Nice to have you on board!

- Jos

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Welcome to the club!!! And congratulations for being smart enough to buy one of the finest guitars built.

Enjoy!