1983 Nighthawk- questions

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi Everyone. Just picked up this 1983 Nighthawk in a trade. Not really familiar with them. Interesting, it had a ppickguard on it, which fit tightly, but there were no screw holes for it drilled into the body. Did the make this model with no pickfuard. Also, any other info anyone has about this guitar, I would appreciate very much. Thanks. I’m new to the site, is there a way to attach pictures? Looks like a natural maple body?

Re: 1983 Nighthawk- questions

Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:08 pm

Musicformike wrote:Hi Everyone. Just picked up this 1983 Nighthawk in a trade. Not really familiar with them. Interesting, it had a ppickguard on it, which fit tightly, but there were no screw holes for it drilled into the body. Did the make this model with no pickfuard. Also, any other info anyone has about this guitar, I would appreciate very much. Thanks. I’m new to the site, is there a way to attach pictures? Looks like a natural maple body?

Welcome! :wave:

Check out the Welcome! Read This First post for information on navigating our site. There is a Tutorial: Posting photos link.

Please add your Nighthawk to our G&L Registry and check out the Rarebirds section in the Registry.

Hope this helps and am looking forward to see your Nighthawk.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 pm

Musicformike wrote: Interesting, it had a ppickguard on it, which fit tightly, but there were no screw holes for it drilled into the body.

Interesting indeed.
Looking forward to pics.

and Welcome!
Elwood

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:38 pm

If it had no holes for the pick guard it might be an employee guitar or another body that had no pick guard and a nighthawk neck put on it. If you are comfortable removing the neck, you should see a body date stamp of sometime in 1983 as that is the only year the Nighthawk was made. What color is it?

Please post some pics and welcome to the group.

Tom

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 pm

Musicformike wrote:Hi Everyone. Just picked up this 1983 Nighthawk in a trade. Not really familiar with them. Interesting, it had a ppickguard on it, which fit tightly, but there were no screw holes for it drilled into the body. Did the make this model with no pickfuard. Also, any other info anyone has about this guitar, I would appreciate very much. Thanks. I’m new to the site, is there a way to attach pictures? Looks like a natural maple body?

In the early-1980s, G&L did make versions of their guitars with and without pickguard. Here is a picture of the first page of the June 1983 price list:

You'll notice that for a Cavalier and/or Nighthawk with pickguard, you would have to dole out another $30!

This is my theory, you have a Nighthawk without pickkguard but one of the previous owners found one and made it part of the package. You should be able to take it off and see what you like better. If you like the look with the guard better, use a couple of small pieces of double-sided sticky tape to fix it to the body, so it can be taken off with some minimal attention not to damage the finish. Usually the models without guard had beautiful hog bodies. Compare for instance these 2 Cavaliers from the same era:

ImageImage

Hope this helps,

- Jos

P.S. As much interested in pictures of your guitar as the folks above!

Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:18 am

Thanks so much for the info. You are spot on. The body is beautiful. Took the neck off, stamped 7 29 1983. Still trying to figure out how to post pics. Working off an I phone. Thanks everyone

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:38 pm

Musicformike wrote:Thanks so much for the info. You are spot on. The body is beautiful. Took the neck off, stamped 7 29 1983. Still trying to figure out how to post pics. Working off an I phone. Thanks everyone

You can send me your photos and I will post them for you. My email address is mcdewey49@gmail.com.

Looking forward to seeing your Nighthawk.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:55 am

Is this your Nighthawk up for sale on Reverb?

If so, the body wood is Swamp Ash.

This the first Nighthawk I've seen without the optional pickguard and I like it! :thumbup:

Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:07 am

There is at least one more like this in red.

y2kc

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:11 pm

y2kc wrote:There is at least one more like this in red.

y2kc

Not sure why, but I cant get a single Nighthawk to come up on a search on Reverb or Ebay. Gotta link? (that"s safe).

Tom

Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 pm

FZTNT wrote:

y2kc

Not sure why, but I cant get a single Nighthawk to come up on a search on Reverb or Ebay. Gotta link? (that"s safe).

Tom

Hi Tom,

This is the link to the auction folks are talking about.

And now the trick from an old pro on how to get to expired and/or sold listing, using the G&L Nighthawk as an example. Ordinarily you would not be able to get to any listing that has been sold or ended in the default UI unless you are the seller or buyer or kept it around in a Watch List or the like. But when you type this in your browser search bar, you will see any pages that are still indexed in your search engine of choice:

Code:
G&L Nighthawk site:Reverb.com

The magic code is this
Code:
site:
keyword followed by a target website. When you do that, you will find 7 hits for different Nighthawk guitars that have been sold on Reverb over the last 2 years or so, including the above link. If I change the target site to
Code:
ebay.com
I only find 1 hit.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Thanks Jos, interesting stuff. I think I had seen the natural Nighthawk but it was sold in three days, that's why I could no longer find it.

Still can't see a red one...

Tom

Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:06 am

Tom,

As Dale once told me, some guitars just are not listed in the "logs". I don't imagine you will find the red one listed or photographed.

The no pick guard version of any pre-bbe G&L is a nice find and this natural Nighthawk is a beauty.

My favorite is my Cavalier with a saddle lock that weighs in at about a pound. It is unplayed and I payed $700 for it. Those days are not gone and the bargains on G&L's are still out there.

Finding fun G&L's never gets old,

72kc

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:50 pm

y2kc

OK, I get it now. You were talking generally that a red one exists, not that there is a red one up for sale...DUH on my part!

Tom

Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Tom,

There is no red nighthawk for sale at this time. Sorry if my post created any misunderstanding.

Y2kc

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:10 pm

Get used to seeing that control plate again...

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:11 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:Get used to seeing that control plate again...

:happy0065: :alright: