Greetings (and a question about neck finishes)

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:05 pm

New member & glad to be here. Did some research here and elsewhere regarding how to refinish my neck correctly and I just can't get it correct so I thought I'd ask for help.

When I bought my guitar the owner had it "reliced" and practically destroyed the guitar. I saved it and would like to match the finish on the neck. I gun oiled it and that clearly is not the way to go to bring out a close match. Couldn't find amber stain locally. Here are some pics. I apologize if there is a good thread on this but I did alot of HW and don't want to aste any more $$$.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Greetings (and a question about neck finishes)

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear that some fool reliced it. I don't know about matching the finish on the neck. They were done in unique batches, color wise. I know it's called Gun Oil Tint, but it changed from time to time.

Thanks for the pix, and please add it to the registry.

Take care,

edg

Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:01 pm

The factory may be able to tell you how the guitar was originally equipped- including neck finish, if you send them the serial number. Try repairs@glguitars.com

Good luck with the project. Looking forward to seeing out it turns out!

Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Welcome Dave. There's no easy way to match the new finish to the old, you could get close but not perfect. You'd be looking at stripping the rest of the finish, and sanding off the stain all over the neck - including the fretboard - and redoing the whole thing. If its a maple fingerboard you're in for an even worse time as the frets won't make refinishing easy and you'd most likely be regretting it.

Honestly, its not worth the effort unless you have the time and tools you need already. I'd be buying a replacement neck.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to go ahead and purchase ColorTone's Vintage Amber and call it a day. I sent the serial number to the factory but haven't heard from them. I'll give them a call and use the colortone for another neck int he meantime

Dave

Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:01 am

daveyt wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm going to go ahead and purchase ColorTone's Vintage Amber and call it a day. I sent the serial number to the factory but haven't heard from them. I'll give them a call and use the colortone for another neck int he meantime

Dave

The factory is closed until Jan. 2, 2018 for the holidays.

Here some info regarding neck tinting methods used by G&L in our G&L Knowledgebase: What is TGN?.
Your neck's tint was applied with the first method (by hand).

Hope the helps.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:20 pm

Thanks for the info I'll call them this week :thumbup: