View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hello all... 

Post Hello all...
I'm just a classical guitar guy that would rather be a rockstar. I have a bit to learn about the world of electric guitars. Maybe this forum can help me decide on my first G&L purchase. Thanks!
:)

Enochwel

Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:07 am

Post Re: Hello all...
If you're not planning on spending a whole lotta dough, Tribute model G&L's are "crazy-good" quality for the money. I have an American Legacy, and a Tribute Comanche, and of the two, I actually like the build quality on the Comanche better.

That being said, depending on what kind of music you're going to play, and what kind of sound you're looking to make, certain models will lend themselves more broadly to what you're looking for.

Peruse youtube for G&L reviews. Listen and decide for yourself what sounds right for you. I personally am partial to the Comanche, and ASAT Speicial, and ASAT Z3, but I like blues, and 70s Rock. I want something that can sound like Gilmour, Beck, or SRV, depending on how I'm feeling. I am very impressed by the MFD pickups, and commend them warmly.

mileage may vary.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:55 am
Profile WWW

Welcome Enochwel! Another wanna be rockstar here, but I've accepted the fact I'm just a hack having fun.

Love my G&L guitars. My first G&L was a Tribute ASAT Special Deluxe. Before G&L is was more of a Les Paul Style fan, but G&L really changed that. Most of my electrics are G&L's. Since that first ASAT Special I've added to the collection: GbL LE-2 (#4 of 25), ASAT Classic S, Tribute JB-2, and a second body style SC-3. I'd like to have one of each major MFD type in my collection. Someday I hope to add: F-100 Return Edition, ASAT Z-3, and an SC-2 (vintage or modern). So far the large MFDs on the ASAT Special and SC-2 are my favorite pickups. The Fallout/SC-2/LE-2 (Mustang Shape) body style is my favorite.

I saw in your other thread you are looking at a Comanche and possibly have a SC loaded pickguard to swap. BTW, as I recall all the Tribute S-type bodies have bathtub routes.

Welcome again, Dan

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 am

Welcome !
I have played a Tribute G&L once. I thought it was a USA model till i looked at the head stock. That being said, because G&L is underappreciated you can almost always find a used USA model for a great price. My first was a 2003 S-500 then I bought a new SC-2 reissue and my third G&L is an 86 Asat. I really like the pre BBE G&L's now, they were / are very unique . You will love the G&L that finds you.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 am

Welcome!

If you are looking to make the transition from classical acoustic, I would look for a neck that has a pretty long radius 12" or more. Your left-hand position will likely need less of an adjustment over time if you go with a neck that is similar (though flat- as most classical guitars are, is not an option). Also, if you are used to a chunkier neck- I'd say a Classic C or Classic C Plus with that 12" would feel good, given your native style. (see size options here http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/US ... guitar.asp) An Ebony or Rosewood fretboard wil vintage sized frets will also make your fingers feel at home.

As for pickup selection- an MFD wide bobbin or Z coils would give you the note definition and clarity you are used to listening for- yet be versatile enough to play various "rock" standards and electric styles. If possible, a model with the PTB (Passive Treble and Bass) system to give you the largest tonal pallet out of your pickup set.

Lastly, body- Swamp Ash or Swamp Ash with a Maple top for that chime, and as far as shape, what is your preference? If you opt for the PTB, it most likely puts you into an "S" style body- taken all these things together- a Comanche.

If I were in your position, and price wasn't a primary consideration, I'd spec out a new Comanche as follows:

Swamp Ash, Semi hollow (no F hole) with a Maple Top

Classic C Plus Neck, 12# Radius in gloss finish with an Ebony or Rosewood fingerboard and vintage frets

Go ahead and do the DFV Vibrato- you'll have fun learning out to work vibrato fills into your skillset.

Colors are all up to you!

Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]