View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hello from Newfoundland. 

Post Hello from Newfoundland.
Greetings.
Name's Judson. 36 from Newfoundland. Translator and musician. Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang player most of my life.
Always been a fan of G&L, especially the vintage era. Have played more vintage models than reissues because my uncle's got a collection of older ones and the stores here rarely have the new models. Have used his F-100s and his S-500 live several times. They're like nothing else. Only reissues I've spent any time with are ASAT Classics and ASAT Specials. Had a tribute ASAT special for a while. It was too heavy. Tried a Comanche and S-500 in a store. Love the Z-coils on the Comanche, wasn't a fan of the S-500 having changed its body and pickguard. Vintage models are unique and I'm a big fan of Leo's post Fender designs (Original MM Sabres are awesome too).
Favourites are F-100, Skyhawk, original S-500 and SC-2. Would kill for accurate reissues of any of these. SC-2 is almost there, but no control panel is a deal breaker for me. Rear mounted to me looks naked and reminds me of shredder Charvels and Jacksons.
Anyhow, I discovered this forum during reading about the Doheny on OSG. People here are nice and I love all the factory photos. I don't log in to facebook very often, so I miss a lot of those G&L posts.
Will be getting a Doheny once I figure out what color, neck, etc.
Always looking for a Skyhawk (Early versions with the split guard/crinkle control plate). Big fan of aviation. Love the A4 Skyhawk as well as the other Skyhawk, the Cessna 172 (grew up flying my dad's).

Last edited by BoringPostcards on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Post Re: Hello from Newfoundland.
Hello Judson!

Glad to see you wondered over here from OSG. Sounds like we share a lot of the same tastes in guitars!

Cheers!

~Patrick

Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 pm
Profile WWW

BoringPostcards wrote:
Greetings.
Name's Judson. 36 from Newfoundland. Translator and musician. Jazzmaster, Jaguar and Mustang player most of my life.
Always been a fan of G&L, especially the vintage era. Have played more vintage models than reissues because my uncle's got a collection of older ones and the stores here rarely have the new models. Have used his F-100s and his S-500 live several times. They're like nothing else. Only reissues I've spent any time with are ASAT Classics and ASAT Specials. Had a tribute ASAT special for a while. It was too heavy. Tried a Comanche and S-500 in a store. Love the Z-coils on the Comanche, wasn't a fan of the S-500 having changed its body and pickguard. Vintage models are unique and I'm a big fan of Leo's post Fender designs (Original MM Sabres are awesome too).
Favourites are F-100, Skyhawk, original S-500 and SC-2. Would kill for accurate reissues of any of these. SC-2 is almost there, but no control panel is a deal breaker for me. Rear mounted to me looks naked and reminds me of shredder Charvels and Jacksons.
Anyhow, I discovered this forum during reading about the Doheny on OSG. People here are nice and I love all the factory photos. I don't log in to facebook very often, so I miss a lot of those G&L posts.
Always looking for a Skyhawk. Big fan of aviation. Love the A4 Skyhawk as well as the other Skyhawk, the Cessna 172 (grew up flying my dad's).

Hi Judson, I share your love of skyhawks. My G&L '84, and I grew up flying piper cherokee 140/150/180's and a Cessna 172. My dad was a CFI. We flew Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver to Philly one night in a 172 in the 70's, pre-terminator, when he was still pumping iron!

Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:57 am

drjho7 wrote:
BoringPostcards wrote:
Greetings.
Always looking for a Skyhawk. Big fan of aviation. Love the A4 Skyhawk as well as the other Skyhawk, the Cessna 172 (grew up flying my dad's).

Hi Judson, I share your love of skyhawks. My G&L '84, and I grew up flying piper cherokee 140/150/180's and a Cessna 172. My dad was a CFI. We flew Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver to Philly one night in a 172 in the 70's, pre-terminator, when he was still pumping iron!

That must have been quite the flight. Since I did most of my flying in Newfoundland, I've mostly flown in the bush and what not. Short trips here and there. Searching for moose, etc. Fair bit of time with Civil Air Search & Rescue. My parents traded zone commander position back and forth for 20 years and I was a spotter and co-pilot. Oddly enough both my father and grandfather worked their careers with Air Canada/TCA not as pilots, but as baggage handlers; both had their own private planes used for hunting and guiding. Grandfather had a DHC-2 Beaver and my father a 172(K?) from 1972. It's crazy to think about. If I handled baggage for Air Canada there'd be no way in hell I can afford a 172 or a Beaver nowadays.
Prices have really gotten crazy for small aircraft.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]