N.VA / request for info CLF37186

Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm

Greetings in the Name of the Most High from Northern VA.

I've been playing for 34 years now. Never gigged but always had friends to jam with in the vein of the Grateful Dead.
Still jam w/ a few guys I've known forever and I play at church semi-regularly on bass.
Main guitar is an '87 PRS Custom 24 that is amazing to play, but the tone is not what I want. I knew I wanted a G&L Strat (L, 500, or C) so I've been searching out used.guitarcenter.com as used Legacies are rare around, and I don't want to buy new.

So...bought a 'used' legacy which seemed brand new to me and it was an amazing guitar but it was not 'it'. Really spectacular fit and finish and a stunning guitar.
Now I have a S-500 that is DEFINITELY used but I am bonding with it.
It has a atrocious action but it's still VERY tasty. SO many tones. I've played it for 2 or 3 hours and I haven't even touch any kind of dirt/OD yet but there is so much to explore in the clean-tone land.
CLF37186 is the SN.
Supposedly it's walnut. IDK..I do know it's pretty heavy but I play bass most of the time so...it doesn't feel that heavy.
https://imgur.com/a/7X0LJVf
Pic might be too big as this is not posting, and I know there is some restriction, but too tired to do anything about it.

Will post my gear later. must sleep

Re: N.VA / request for info CLF37186

Mon May 06, 2019 8:16 pm

ChrisPbass wrote:Greetings in the Name of the Most High from Northern VA.

I've been playing for 34 years now. Never gigged but always had friends to jam with in the vein of the Grateful Dead.
Still jam w/ a few guys I've known forever and I play at church semi-regularly on bass.
Main guitar is an '87 PRS Custom 24 that is amazing to play, but the tone is not what I want. I knew I wanted a G&L Strat (L, 500, or C) so I've been searching out used.guitarcenter.com as used Legacies are rare around, and I don't want to buy new.

So...bought a 'used' legacy which seemed brand new to me and it was an amazing guitar but it was not 'it'. Really spectacular fit and finish and a stunning guitar.
Now I have a S-500 that is DEFINITELY used but I am bonding with it.
It has a atrocious action but it's still VERY tasty. SO many tones. I've played it for 2 or 3 hours and I haven't even touch any kind of dirt/OD yet but there is so much to explore in the clean-tone land.
CLF37186 is the SN.
Supposedly it's walnut. IDK..I do know it's pretty heavy but I play bass most of the time so...it doesn't feel that heavy.
https://imgur.com/a/7X0LJVf
Pic might be too big as this is not posting, and I know there is some restriction, but too tired to do anything about it.

Will post my gear later. must sleep

Here is your photo:

Very nice looking S-500. :thumbup:
The body is either basswood, or swamp ash with a flame maple top. Post a photo of the back of the guitar and it will be easy to determine.
The body finish is Honeyburst. Contact G&L Tech Support and ask them to look up your guitar and ask them for the specs and completion date.

The mini-toggle switch is the pickup expander function. See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: What is the expander switch used on many of the models?.

Hope this helps.

Tue May 07, 2019 5:42 am

Thanks Craig. I emailed G&L

Yes, this is a nice guitar and I love the expander switch. All 3 p/ups on is a great sound. I have only been able to play at bedroom levels and I'm looking forward to cranking it up!

The whammy bar hole is MUCH bigger than the bar itself. I know it can be tightened but I wonder if I was given any old bar to replace a missing one. How much play in the hole is there normally?

Tue May 07, 2019 5:53 am

I have a comanche and my tremolo arm is snug. It was the same on my Legacy, snug. There was no jiggle room. I've never played on an S-500 though, so I can't say for sure.

Tue May 07, 2019 6:45 am

ChrisPbass wrote:Thanks Craig. I emailed G&L

Yes, this is a nice guitar and I love the expander switch. All 3 p/ups on is a great sound. I have only been able to play at bedroom levels and I'm looking forward to cranking it up!

The whammy bar hole is MUCH bigger than the bar itself. I know it can be tightened but I wonder if I was given any old bar to replace a missing one. How much play in the hole is there normally?

Y\If your guitar was built prior to 2005, the trem bar should be Diameter: approximately 0.25" or 6.35mm,
otherwise for 2006-present builds the bar will be Diameter: approximately 0.23" or 5.84mm.
You can get replacement trem bars from the G&L On-Line store: VIBRATO ARM - G&L DUAL FULCRUM (EARLY) and
VIBRATO ARM - G&L DUAL FULCRUM (CURRENT USA AND ALL TRIBUTE SERIES).
Also, check to make sure there is the nylon bushing between the set screw and the bar.

Hope this helps.

Tue May 07, 2019 10:58 am

according to G&L
honey burst 05’ S500, the rosewood neck has the standard 1-5/8” nut width, 12” radius. The body is swamp ash

I am surprised that this is a 12" R. It feels rounder to me but I'm comparing it to the Legacy I returned which was flat. I may have to take the neck off.

Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 am

ChrisPbass wrote:according to G&L
honey burst 05’ S500, the rosewood neck has the standard 1-5/8” nut width, 12” radius. The body is swamp ash

I am surprised that this is a 12" R. It feels rounder to me but I'm comparing it to the Legacy I returned which was flat. I may have to take the neck off.

Or you could get a set of radius gauges to measure without removing the neck.

Just a thought.

Fri May 10, 2019 5:13 am

Please excuse my laziness but what tool fits the '05 S-500 truss rod nut?

Fri May 10, 2019 6:04 am

ChrisPbass wrote:Please excuse my laziness but what tool fits the '05 S-500 truss rod nut?

See this post in our G&L Knowledgebase: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?.

Hope this helps.

Sun May 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Yeah....the bushing for the whammy bar must be gone.

I tweaked the truss rod and it plays even better.
I must say that this is one nice guitar. I want to get another G&L just to get another taste.