View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hello From GA 

Post Hello From GA
I own a 94 G&L LB-100 Bass in Cherry Burst, and I just bought a Tribute ASAT Classic in turquoise mist from MF at a SDOTD. I have been wanting a blue Tele for a couple years and saw the one at MF at such a good price i could not resit it. Been playing for 42 years. Started as a Gibson fan and then bought a new 91 American Standard Strat, fell in love with the neck. I have large hands and the fretboad felt real good. I played it for 3 years while putting the Gibsons down for awhile. The first good guitar I bought was a 69 Les Paul Deluxe Gold top, with the big baseball bat type neck,I still have it. Someone had stripped the gold top finish off of it, so like a fool I routed it out for humbuckes. About 6 months ago I reinstalled the mini hums with "cheater rings" to hide the route. I next plan on repainting the gold top.
I like this new Tribute a lot. The bridge pickup sounds the best. Could someone tell me what a MFD pickup is. I do know it was invented by Leo. I understand a regular pickup but can't seem to find any info on what makes a MFD a MFD???? I hoped my Tribute had one but after searching thru this forum I learned that it did not have one in it. But I must say the Bridge pickup does sound nice. It is very clear with almost acoustic sound when you strum cowboy chords thru a nice clean amp.
Well good day to all, I look forward to reading more posts here.

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:03 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Hello From GA
ibbluesman wrote:
I own a 94 G&L LB-100 Bass in Cherry Burst, and I just bought a Tribute ASAT Classic in turquoise mist from MF at a SDOTD. I have been wanting a blue Tele for a couple years and saw the one at MF at such a good price i could not resit it. Been playing for 42 years. Started as a Gibson fan and then bought a new 91 American Standard Strat, fell in love with the neck. I have large hands and the fretboad felt real good. I played it for 3 years while putting the Gibsons down for awhile. The first good guitar I bought was a 69 Les Paul Deluxe Gold top, with the big baseball bat type neck,I still have it. Someone had stripped the gold top finish off of it, so like a fool I routed it out for humbuckes. About 6 months ago I reinstalled the mini hums with "cheater rings" to hide the route. I next plan on repainting the gold top.
I like this new Tribute a lot. The bridge pickup sounds the best. Could someone tell me what a MFD pickup is. I do know it was invented by Leo. I understand a regular pickup but can't seem to find any info on what makes a MFD a MFD???? I hoped my Tribute had one but after searching thru this forum I learned that it did not have one in it. But I must say the Bridge pickup does sound nice. It is very clear with almost acoustic sound when you strum cowboy chords thru a nice clean amp.
Well good day to all, I look forward to reading more posts here.

Welcome! :wave:

See: The G&L Magnetic Field Design pickups and List of pickups used in G&L guitars.

Regarding the MF SDOTD, that LE Tribute ASAT Classic Blues Boy has an Alnico V bridge pickup. And this combination is not available as a US built model.
I got one the last time it was offered by MF's SDOTD and I do like it but the ASAT Classic Blues Boy with the MFD bridge pickup and the neck SD Seth Lover is still my favorite.
See: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Current G&L Specifications and Options

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:30 am
Profile WWW

Thanks Graig......I did read the info you listed. By stating that the neck pickup on this model,. BBASATclassictributeLE, is a AS4255C. Does this mean that this neck pickup is a USA made model, or is it also "G&L Desinged" but made in Indonesia? :?: :?: :?

Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:45 am
Site Admin

ibbluesman wrote:
Thanks Graig......I did read the info you listed. By stating that the neck pickup on this model,. BBASATclassictributeLE, is a AS4255C. Does this mean that this neck pickup is a USA made model, or is it also "G&L Desinged" but made in Indonesia? :?: :?: :?

The last post in the List of pickups used in G&L guitars post is this: Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups:

Quote:
-The Tribute Series instruments that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
-The single coil Alnico pickups (CLF-100) used in the Tribute Series Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and are made at the Fullerton factory.
-Other single coil Alnico pickups, humbuckers and P-90's used in the Tribute Series instruments are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

Note: Most of the Tribute Series MF/GC Exclusive Models have pickups which are made to G&L specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia, see: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:24 am
Profile WWW

Sorry for bringing up a dead thread from a few years ago, but this is where I landed in my forum search.

I have read the info that Craig has posted about the Tribute humbuckers being made by Cort, but I am confused because the very same AS4255 and AW4368C pickups that are in my Ascari show up as being in Fullerton and Custom Shop guitars. Are they really using Indonesian pickups in American guitars?

Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 pm
Site Admin

Jeff-H wrote:
Sorry for bringing up a dead thread from a few years ago, but this is where I landed in my forum search.

I have read the info that Craig has posted about the Tribute humbuckers being made by Cort, but I am confused because the very same AS4255 and AW4368C pickups that are in my Ascari show up as being in Fullerton and Custom Shop guitars. Are they really using Indonesian pickups in American guitars?

No, they are not using pickups made in the Cort factory for any of the Fullerton, CA made models. Here is the reference post for review:
Quote:
Note About G&L Tribute Series Guitar Pickups
-The Tribute Series instruments that use MFD pickups are the same USA pickups made in Fullerton, CA.
-The single coil Alnico pickups (CLF-100) used in the Tribute Series Legacy are also the same pickups used in the USA Legacy and are made at the Fullerton factory.
-Other single coil Alnico pickups, humbuckers and P-90's used in the Tribute Series instruments are made to G&L's specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia.

Note: Most of the Tribute Series MF/GC Exclusive Models have pickups which are made to G&L specifications at the Cort facility in Indonesia, see: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

In addition, the Custom Shop Alnico pickups are all hand wound on Leo Fender's winding machine. See: G&L Custom Shop Handwound Alnico Guitar Pickups.

Hope this helps.

Thu May 16, 2019 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]