Hello from Texas

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Greetings Fellow G&L Owners,

I've been playing about 40 years - various Fender Strats primarily and a Martin acoustic for the first 30. Never really got on with Gibsons until I purchased a Les Paul Jr about 10 years ago on a whim. I how have 3 Jr's, a Studio, and Standard (plus my American Strats).

About 5 years ago I decided to add a Tele-style guitar to the mix and purchased my first G&L, a Tribute ASAT Classic BluesBoy Semi-Hollow with a transparent orange body, maple neck & FB. Despite being my next-to-least expensive guitar (that title belongs to my Danelectro DC-59) the BluesBoy quickly became one of my favorites - and remains so to this day.

The finish, setup, overall quality and especially the tone are just unbelievable for the price.

Today, Musician's Friend is blowing out Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic BluesBoys in turquoise mist on their SDOD for [price deleted because posting new prices is not allowed] so I ordered another as a backup.

I've been lurking on this forum for a month or so investigating mods. As I'll soon have two BluesBoys , I intend to use one as a test bed and when I find something that works well I'll likely incorporate it into the other.

I am primarily interested in upgrading the tuners, nut, electronics (Pots, Caps, Jack & Wire), and changing out the pickups (leaning towards a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates for Tele in the bridge, and Pearly Gate, Seth Lover or Antiquity HB for the neck).

I was very happy to find this forum and would like to send a huge thanks out to all those who have contributed in the past as I've already discovered a wealth of info on here! Hopefully I will have some good information to contribute also as I complete and evaluate my intended mods.
Last edited by Craig on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: actual SDOTD price removed by Admin

Re: Hello from Texas

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:27 pm

Angus wrote:Greetings Fellow G&L Owners,

I've been playing about 40 years - various Fender Strats primarily and a Martin acoustic for the first 30. Never really got on with Gibsons until I purchased a Les Paul Jr about 10 years ago on a whim. I how have 3 Jr's, a Studio, and Standard (plus my American Strats).

About 5 years ago I decided to add a Tele-style guitar to the mix and purchased my first G&L, a Tribute ASAT Classic BluesBoy Semi-Hollow with a transparent orange body, maple neck & FB. Despite being my next-to-least expensive guitar (that title belongs to my Danelectro DC-59) the BluesBoy quickly became one of my favorites - and remains so to this day.

The finish, setup, overall quality and especially the tone are just unbelievable for the price.

Today, Musician's Friend is blowing out Limited Edition Tribute ASAT Classic BluesBoys in turquoise mist on their SDOD for [price deleted because posting new prices is not allowed] so I ordered another as a backup.

I've been lurking on this forum for a month or so investigating mods. As I'll soon have two BluesBoys , I intend to use one as a test bed and when I find something that works well I'll likely incorporate it into the other.

I am primarily interested in upgrading the tuners, nut, electronics (Pots, Caps, Jack & Wire), and changing out the pickups (leaning towards a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates for Tele in the bridge, and Pearly Gate, Seth Lover or Antiquity HB for the neck).

I was very happy to find this forum and would like to send a huge thanks out to all those who have contributed in the past as I've already discovered a wealth of info on here! Hopefully I will have some good information to contribute also as I complete and evaluate my intended mods.

Welcome to our site. Please do read this post: Welcome! Read This First. You will find out why I edited your posting ot the actual price in your post.

Regarding the MF SDOTD, that LE Tribute ASAT Classic Blues Boy has an Alnico V bridge pickup. And this combination is not available as a US built model.
I got one the last time it was offered by MF's SDOTD and I do like it but the ASAT Classic Blues Boy with the MFD bridge pickup and the neck SD Seth Lover is still my favorite.
See: 2015-present MF/GC Exclusive Tribute Models.

:ugeek:

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 am

Welcome Angus! I wish I had been playing for 40 years, rather waiting till I was 40 to play. My first G&L was an ASAT Special Deluxe. Yep, the quality of Tribute models is quite good for their price range. Oh and that first G&L was pretty addicting, my G&L family has grown to four guitars (ASAT Special Deluxe, LE-2, ASAT Classic S, and SC-3) and one bass (JB-2). Love them all.

Welcome again, Dan

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:32 am

Yikes, sorry Craig for screwing up my first post by including price - won't happen again.

By way of an update, the SDOTD Bluesboy I purchased a couple weeks ago is not going to work out. Compared to my current Bluesboy Semi-Hollow, the overall construction was not nearly up to par. The neck appears and as it's simply sanded raw wood (I expect there's some kind of finish on there but it's extremely thin and the untinted snow-white maple neck looks cheap). And, as predicted, the Alnico bridge PUP is no match for the MFD.

On the plus side, it was extremely light, the setup was good, and it sounded pretty great acoustically (but not as good as my other when amplified).

I've therefore called Musician's Friend earlier today and arranged a return and exchange for another Bluesboy Semi-Hollow similar to my Orange/Maple model except the new one will be Tobacco Sunburst/Rosewood

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and, once again, sorry for the mistake in my previous post.