Hello from the Big Apple

Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:05 pm

I remember when the 1st generation of G&L guitars hit my local music store (Focus II in Bellmore, Long Island) in the early 80s (late 70s?). At the time I was more into the Charvel scene (didn't own one though as a kid with no money). I thought the G&L body shapes and pickups were a little odd at that time. I still think they are a little odd, but in a good way! I don't have a "vintage" G&L at the moment, but hopefully that will change soon. I play in a band - been together about 5 years now - and have played guitar since before I was a teenager.

Re: Hello from the Big Apple

Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi Ralph! :wave:

Welcome to the cult...uh club I mean. Yep the days when G&L was that new guitar on the market. Do you have a G&L now or just searching for that old school model?

Tell us a little about you, your music/guitar interest and maybe some pics or clips of yer band.

Jump in often, there a lot of knowledgeable folks round here. (Me not included :evilgrin:

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:15 am

Welcome Ralph! I'm coveting a first body style SC-2 myself... Always on the prowl... I should have jumped on the sunburst saddle lock one earlier this year and dealt with the wrath of the family. Love your Joey Ramone avitar btw! Jump in often and again welcome!

Cheers,
Dan

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:44 pm

this is my band "The Dirty Old Men". Can't see me I'm behind the keys. We do a nice mix of covers and originals and we try to keep the covers a little more retro with for instance Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" and "I Wish", Johnny Burnette's "Tear It Up", Dr John's "Right Place Wrong Time" and a bunch of other stuff including a cool version of "Dear Prudence ".

If all goes well I'll have an '83 SC-1 tomorrow!

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:20 pm

Well I got my first "vintage" G&L today - a white SC-1 that has turned a creamier shade of pale. Sweet guitar. Can't turn the truss though, and don't want to force it. Any sort of lubicrants ok to squirt in and around the bullet of the headstock (or elsewhere)?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Great find Ralph! Sure looks in good shape. Sorry, I can't help with the truss rod, but I sure others will have some advice. Congratulations. :elguitar054:

Cheers, Dan

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:31 pm

She sure looks sweet! Hopefully a decent local luthier can get it freed up for you. Rock on, and welcome to the club man!

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm

RalphNYC wrote:Well I got my first "vintage" G&L today - a white SC-1 that has turned a creamier shade of pale. Sweet guitar. Can't turn the truss though, and don't want to force it. Any sort of lubicrants ok to squirt in and around the bullet of the headstock (or elsewhere)?

nice SC-1! cool early 80's vibe. welcome to G&LDP!
if it feels like the truss rod nut is maxed out, might be interesting to slack the strings, and loosen the truss rod nut, counterclockwise a bit, at least 180 degrees, then try to retighten. then, try to readjust again in a few weeks, if it needs it.
agree, don't force it clockwise if maxed out.
I use 09-42 strings on my '83 SC-2.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Great score! :happy0065:

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 am

changed the strings - still couldn't turn the truss either direction. It's moving slightly but I'll bring it to a pro when I get around to it. Gonna need some lube I think. Luckily the neck and action feel good as it is. Ran it through my Kemper last night. The pickups really growl. This guitar gets a lot more chime and dynamics then my American fender tele and strat.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Congratulations. A great looking guitar.

I agree with your assessment of the p'ups- really an excellent design.
I put Lollars in my strat and they were an improvement over stock but I still prefer my MFDs on the whole.