New user, new to guitars at the age of 70

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:50 pm

Greetings; call me jvlc, I am new to this or any forum. I have been a percussionist off and on for 40 years, not my profession. At the young age of 70 I just started to learn the guitar about 2 months ago. Bought a fender acoustic/Electric and an fender acoustatronic 100 amp.
I am a retired disabled veteran. After much investigating, I have become extremely interested in the USA G & L.
Over the years I have learned not to underbuy, therefore I am seriously considering a "Comanche". You sure could say I am overbuying I guess. None the less I am interested in you all's thoughts on this.

Re: New user, new to guitars at the age of 70

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Howdy jvlc, :wave:

Welcome to the GLDP world and the land of guitars! Your decision not "to underbuy" will go a long way in the G&L world based on guitar quality and bang for the buck dollar value.

While I am a big fan of the Comanche (own two ASAT's with same PUP options), and think you would be in good hands with that model, try as many models as possible before buying. The Z Coil pups do have a tone different from typical pups and the PTB gives a cool flavor. If you have a G&L dealer close by, and can try out as many different models as possible, you may find another G&L model you like. BUT, if you are truly drawn to the Comanche, that guitar can cover lots of ground. :elguitar054:

Thank you for your service. :thumbup:

Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 pm

hi jvlc
comanche is a very exciting/satisfying guitar. lots of different tones in there with the 7 pickup combinations.
very quiet pickups, but relatively high output.
craftsmanship on the usa made guitars is outstanding.
love the PTB circuit/tone controls and the quality of the bridge/tailpiece.
worthy of your consideration. happy shopping!

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:17 pm

Well, as a vet, you may hold a special appreciation for the early naming convention of G&L guitars.

The F-100, named for the North American F-100 Super Sabre was an American supersonic jet fighter aircraft that served with the United States Air Force from 1954 to 1971 and with the Air National Guard until 1979. And a poke in Music Man's ribs, they merely have a "Sabre". Leo's first model was a "Super Sabre".

The Comanche, though it shares a name with the RAH-66 Comanche helicopter, it isn't named after the defunct recon chopper. The first G&L Comanche was built in late 1987. The Boeing-Sikorsky LHX helicopter wasn't designated by the Army as the Comanche until 1991, the year Leo passed away. It is likely adopted because of its native meaning, "kɨmantsi" in UTE means "enemy". The Comanche is designed as the enemy of its predecessor, the Stratocaster. I'd say it is a worthy adversary indeed.

If anyone has any info on why the Comanche name was selected, I'd love to hear it.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:35 pm

jvlc

Found a review that provides some good descriptions

https://guitargear.org/2008/02/15/revie ... -comanche/

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 pm

Sam,

Thank you for this link. Great story telling on discovering G&L from this blogger. Funny thing, I play all my G&L's through a Rivera Venus 3.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:25 am

Welcome jvic and thank you for your service! I say it is never to late to learn - keeps the mind active and fresh. I started when I was 40. As Sam stated, if you can try out several models, the Comanche may very well be the one, but G&L does make a lot of great guitar models. Don't be surprised if you aquire more than one!

Wwlcome again, Dan

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 am

Thank you for your service, as well.

USA made G&L guitars are superior US made instruments.

I am a retired geezer who has owned many fine guitars over the years.
A few years ago, I sold off most of my collection and kept only 2 acoustics and 1 electric. Recently elected to add one workhorse to my small stable (save wear and tear on my Les Paul Historic) I went shopping for a new Telecaster. I am extremely picky when it comes to guitars and also now that I am on a fixed income made this task difficult, if not still fun. Make a long story short, after playing many US Teles (standard and custom shop), I elected to return to G&L with a wonderful ASAT Bluesboy. Twenty years ago, I had owned a few G&L guitars (Asat and Legacy). Loved them then, love them now.

You simply cannot find a better made US instrument at G&L price point. Enjoy your search and play your guitar in good health.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I will take the advice to try many different g & l models. As a disabled vet, I too like one of you mentioned; am on a fixed income. However when it comes to buying quality, I don't think $2000 is out of bounds at all.
Used to play drums, and a quality set could set you back 3 or 4 thousand easy. I am still bound toward the Comanche thou.
I am still learning all the wood finishes and combinations you can order. I don't understand what the feel difference is from a rosewood as opposed to a maple Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
If I buy something pricey, I'd like it to look that way as well. (ego I guess).
I am having a challenging time learning the guitar on my fender electric acoustic. I rather learn on one thats a little harder than the electric, so the transition should be sweet when I purchase the g&l. Then to get the best amp I can get. Like I said originally, I don't want to underbuy. So when looking for the amp, as far as power is concerned, I like to have 500 horsepower available to me even if I only use 300. I want the amp to be able to cruise at a higher level.

Well don't know what else at this moment to bring up; will do it one issue at a time.
Cheers!!

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:51 am

I have been very intrigued by both the Comanche and the ASAT Z3 models, I will definitely (if circumstances are favorable) find a way to get one or both of these in my stable.

My first guitar was a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe with a rosewood fret board. I loved it. The thing I remember most about the guitar (other than the very pleasant creamy sound) was the way the rosewood fret board seemed to draw the sweat from my fingers when I played. If I touched the board with sweaty fingers, I could watch the wet spot dry up almost instantly before my eyes. I know that's such an odd bit of information, but it really was what struck me the most about rosewood. I have an heritage 157 (basically a Les Paul Custom) with an ebony fret board - same effect.

My Second guitar, was a Strat Plus that I purchased (old stock, new guitar) in 91 or 92. It had a maple neck and a much smaller radius neck - and it felt a whole lot faster and silkier than my Les Paul with the rosewood fret board.

I'd say if you go try out some guitars - try to find two guitars of the same model - one with the maple, and one with rosewood - and play them back to back a couple of times. I personally like maple better it seems brighter to me, and silkier for soloing - but I have plenty of guitars with rosewood fret boards, and when I am playing them they feel pretty great too. I'd almost (but not quite) say I like maple for solos and rosewood for accompaniment/chords.

I am twenty years your junior, but I'm old enough that I want an amp I can carry around without requiring a roadie to get it from point A to point B. I also prefer tube amps to solid state (personal preference) , so I wanted something small enough to be more easily portable, but loud and clear enough to heard easily over drums, bass, and some vocals. For me the solution was a Fender Blues Jr - modified with most of the Bill Machrone mods and a patriot Texax Heat speaker. Lots of headroom, no boxy sound, plenty of volume, and as a bonus - a master volume so I can crank the volume up (to push the tubes into a nice warm distortion) without blowing my windows out because I can turn the master volume down. A great compromise. I take it with me whenever I play out - it sounds just as great mic'd as it does otherwise. I'd pit it against a great many boutique amps worth quadruple the price (including mods).

Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:58 am

DanDoulogos wrote:...For me the solution was a Fender Blues Jr

I second the Fender Blues Jr. It's a great-sounding, very adjustable, highly modifiable amp, not too expensive and not too heavy.

As for age, I'm 71, my knees are going, and I hate to carry anything.... :D

--Al Evans