Happy pawn shop finds .....

Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:47 am

Hello .... I am new here, but have been playing since I was about 10 (I'm in my 40's). I made a happy discovery at a local pawn shop that has truly changed my perspective on guitar quality .... Obviously (since I'm here) that was G&L. I picked up not one, but two for very reasonable prices and I am VERY impressed. The first is a made in Korea 2003 Tribute ASAT Classic .... The second is a 1987 USA S-500. The fit/finish/build quality are fantastic for both. I was really shocked after having been rather disappointed with my last few purchases. Strangely enough, even the import is pretty much flawless. They are as good or better than most of my other guitars. I really enjoy the MFD pickups .... they are slightly thicker and more HiFi. To my ears this is a positive thing. I have no problem with Fenders and I still have a few, but frankly .... I find the sound and feel of these G&L's to be a bit more to my liking. My only other experience with G&L prior to this was a friends fathers bass I had played as a kid that was probably early or mid 80's. I guess my main question at this point is "How on earth is it that G&L is so under the radar?" .... Hell, they are great (at least the ones I've encountered so far)!

Re: Happy pawn shop finds .....

Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Welcome! Please post some pics. I would love to see that '87 S-500!

And I'm not sure why G&Ls are so under the radar.... they aren't around here of course ;) My best guess is that without the all powerful Fender brand recognition, and with the non-traditional sounding (and looking) MFD pickups, G&Ls just doesn't draw the masses. Maybe similar to the Gibson/Heritage story...

Cheers!

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:31 pm

IMO, the short answer to your question why G&L is "under the radar" is that people like the familiar, they want to play the guitars that their heroes play and, as a result, guitar stores are not willing to accumulate inventory that won't sell.

Also, if you've ever seen the Fender vs G&L comparisons on YouTube, you've undoubtedly noticed that guitarists frequently show more loyalty to their guitar brand than to their significant others. Marketers know that getting that initial sale will often lead to a lifelong customer.

I wish G&L would just bite the bullet and sell directly to the public, like Carvin. They could split the difference between their wholesale price and what their retailers charge and it would be well worth it to them. I would buy an ASAT Classic S alnico direct from G&L right this very instant if it were possible.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:54 pm

welcome proliant. as you and cho and mike pointed out, when you stop caring about what it says on the headstock, and more about how the guitar sounds and plays and feels, ie. build quality matters most, G&L emerges as a premier brand, very satisfying to own and play. my fenders and gibsons come out of their cases less often as a result.
agree, let's see the pics sometime!

Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Hey proliant! :wave:

Welcome to the club and congrats on yer scores. Glad to see another convert to G&L. Cho, Mike and the good Dr all give good reasons why G&L is not on the lips of every guitar player. Luckily for those her on the GLDP we know the secret.

Be sure to post pics of yer guitars. Without pics nothing exists. :evilgrin: Tell is more about yourself and jump in often. Lots of folks with G&L knowledge and stories to share.