BRAND NEW G&L Member!! My first G&L. a bold USA S-500

Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Well, it's finally happened.... It just could not be resisted. There were 200 guitars on that wall and it's the one that jumped out at me.

Hell of a deal too...

So, I'm a newbie - but unashamed to ask some questions that have probably been answered a 1000 times

... how do i decipher the serial?
... trying to get my head around the expander switch and how to use it
... why did i not buy on elf these a long time ago?

Love playin' this thing!!

G

p.s. I know, pics - or it never happened.... let's hope i can figure out how to upload them.... as of yet, no...

Re: BRAND NEW G&L Member!! My first G&L. a bold USA S-500

Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:46 pm

gsharp9 wrote:Well, it's finally happened.... It just could not be resisted. There were 200 guitars on that wall and it's the one that jumped out at me.

Hell of a deal too...

So, I'm a newbie - but unashamed to ask some questions that have probably been answered a 1000 times

... how do i decipher the serial?
... trying to get my head around the expander switch and how to use it
... why did i not buy on elf these a long time ago?

Love playin' this thing!!

G

p.s. I know, pics - or it never happened.... let's hope i can figure out how to upload them.... as of yet, no...

Welcome! :wave:

I took the liberty to move your post to this sub-forum. Please tell us some more about yourself, where you live and how you found out about G&L instruments.

Please see this post in the Announcements as it will help you navigate our site and answer some of your questions: Welcome! Read This First.

Check out these posts located in our G&L Knowledgebase:

Serial number significance
What is the expander switch used on many of the models?
Can you explain the PTB circuit?

Looking forward to seeing your S-500 and don't forget to add it to our G&L Registry.

:ugeek:

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 pm

OK, let's try the pics.....

[img][IMG]https://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/MUNzjM5NMBQzkU/13900817.1/400/p/IMG_9461.jpg[/img]

[/img]

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:26 am

Welcome to the forum gsharp9! Glad to have you around.

Nice S-500 BTW!

- Jos

Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:37 pm

Sweet S-500. Glad to have you aboard!

Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 pm

gsharp9 wrote:OK, let's try the pics.....

[img][IMG]https://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/MUNzjM5NMBQzkU/13900817.1/400/p/IMG_9461.jpg[/img]

[/img]

I see that the stock bridge pickup has been replaced. I wonder if any of the controls have been modified, too.
Does the expander switch work as expected?

Thanks for posting photos.

Enjoy!

:ugeek:

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:07 am

Yeah, that was there when I got it. It's a JB Jr. ( kind of a hot rodded lil' 59 as I understand it....)

To my surprise, the original pickup was in the case, neatly packed with all the G&L paperwork.

The pickups function perfectly with the switch upon testing. Sounds really good actually. I'm sure I will want to try the original pup at some point....

G