View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Hello! With a sorta kinda G&L... 

Post Hello! With a sorta kinda G&L...
Hi gang!

Here's my first toe dipped into the G&L water: Richie Baxt in the East Village put together this beast for me. 22 fret neck, gold foil neck pickup - and an ASAT classic bridge and MFD.

It's like a telecaster but more so.

Tue May 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Post Re: Hello! With a sorta kinda G&L...
Looks real nice. Did you have prior experience with the mfd pickup or did you select it based on word of mouth? Post a couple more pics if you can.
Welcome to the forum.

Eric

Wed May 03, 2017 3:56 am

I'll try to get a few more shots up tonight. (Maybe one that isn't a phone screenshot!)

I'd shared a few bills with Heroes of Toolik, and Robert Poss had recently joined up with them: that got me on a huge Band of Susans kick, and I really dug the tone of his (multitude of) SC-1's. So I'd originally been thinking it would be nice to get one of them... except that they're stupid rare, and beyond my budget!

At the same time, I'd been into the idea of getting one of Richie's guitars, since they're cool and he's not going to be around forever.

So originally, I figured I'd compromise and have Richie put me together an Esquire type guitar with an MFD bridge. But then, I saw the guitar with ALL THAT SPACE between the bridge and the neck, and it seemed a shame not to put SOMETHING in there. I've already got a Telecaster, so I wanted something different to go with the MFD. Wound up going with the gold foil.

Wed May 03, 2017 9:41 am

Is the neck/body from a G&L, Tele, or???

Wed May 03, 2017 12:55 pm

maps_or_guitars wrote:
I'll try to get a few more shots up tonight. (Maybe one that isn't a phone screenshot!)

I'd shared a few bills with Heroes of Toolik, and Robert Poss had recently joined up with them: that got me on a huge Band of Susans kick, and I really dug the tone of his (multitude of) SC-1's. So I'd originally been thinking it would be nice to get one of them... except that they're stupid rare, and beyond my budget!

At the same time, I'd been into the idea of getting one of Richie's guitars, since they're cool and he's not going to be around forever.

So originally, I figured I'd compromise and have Richie put me together an Esquire type guitar with an MFD bridge. But then, I saw the guitar with ALL THAT SPACE between the bridge and the neck, and it seemed a shame not to put SOMETHING in there. I've already got a Telecaster, so I wanted something different to go with the MFD. Wound up going with the gold foil.

Perhaps in the future you should consider an sc-2. They can be had quite cheap; I've recently seen some Leo era ones priced under 1k. Or even an ASAT special. The wide body mfd pick ups really do make great tones.

btw- sounds like some cool gigs.

Wed May 03, 2017 7:04 pm

themikeaustin wrote:
Is the neck/body from a G&L, Tele, or???

The neck & body are aftermarket: I know Richie has a guy making his necks, but the body's one of these super-lightweight deals you can find coming out of China; It's sort of how Richie rolls.

Thu May 04, 2017 7:56 am

mutts wrote:
Perhaps in the future you should consider an sc-2. They can be had quite cheap; I've recently seen some Leo era ones priced under 1k. Or even an ASAT special. The wide body mfd pick ups really do make great tones.

btw- sounds like some cool gigs.

I'd considered the SC-2 route, and I may do in the future: the Richiecaster proved a more econo route, (and one I was more easily able to keep My Lovely Wife on board for!) I think I'd want to hold out for an 80's model: most of the later issues I've seen have had rosewood fretboards, and I'm kind of on a maple kick now.

Heroes of Toolik are serious fun - yeah, those were really cool gigs! I'm hoping to arrange another with them soon.

EDIT: In addition to Poss, you get Ernie Brooks (ex Modern Lovers) on bass, and Billy Ficca on drums...

Thu May 04, 2017 8:01 am

I hope he color-matched the headstock face for you.

Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 am

Aaaand now I've got a much more serious G&L...Image

It's easily the best made guitar I've ever played.

Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]