Hello

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:19 pm

I've lurked around the site for quite a few years but just finally joined and registered my two G&Ls. Currently planning a new purchase so I've used the site for info a few times. Looks like I'll be getting a Bluesboy 90 in the near future. It'll be an internet purchase so hopefully it all works out. My other G&L guitars are both older models. My first GL was purchased new in early '92; ASAT (special) with DFV tremolo- my number one guitar for a long time. Second GL I bought about 4 years ago; I always wanted a Skyhawk so finally took the plunge and got a mint 1990 model. Paid more than I should have but it was the model I wanted. The cost was a bit high because the guitar came from Dale Hyatts collection. It's a sweet guitar and after spending it's whole life in a case it's now getting some use.

sorry the pics are low quality.

Does anyone have thoughts bout the BB90?

Re: Hello

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Welcome Mutts, Love that Skyhawk. Please post more pics of both guitars and enter them in the registry if you have not already done so.

Never owned a BluesBoy but always heard great things about them. That ASAT special with the DFV is quite a gem. I don't believe they made very many with the DFV option. I could be wrong but you sure don't see them for sale very often.

Where did you find the Skyhawk for sale. It's a great sounding guitar with lots of Leo and George Mojo. Add a dash of Dale Hyatt and you have a real winner. If you ever want to sell it let me know. I have been looking for a Skyhawk to add to my collection but I want one in great shape so time will eventually be good to me and I'll find one like yours.

Again, welcome and more pics please.

Tom

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello Tom,

I found the Skyhawk on ebay and then bought direct from the seller- Acme Guitars in St. Loius about 4-5 yrs ago. It was more than I planned on spending and I almost didn't call on it. Fortunately the seller came down a bit. I doubt I'll ever sell it. It's a great instrument: comfortable, light and resonant. It also came with documentation and a photo of Dale w/ the guitar. Still, I suspect I overpaid a bit. In the real world I'm not sure the history really adds much monetary value.
I agree about the ASAT, the DFV option does seem rare.

I'll try to post more pics at some point.

Eric

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:11 pm

Welcome Eric,
Those are couple cool G&L's, I'm looking forward to more pics :D
The BB seems like a perfect compliment to your sonic arena.

I have a Skyhawk that had Dale's attention at one point.The wood choice is Primo.
Anything from Dale's collection has got my vote for paying a few extra bucks,
....especially if your playing it often :elguitar054:

cheers,
Elwood

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:27 pm

mutts wrote:Hello Tom,

I found the Skyhawk on ebay and then bought direct from the seller- Acme Guitars in St. Loius about 4-5 yrs ago. It was more than I planned on spending and I almost didn't call on it. Fortunately the seller came down a bit. I doubt I'll ever sell it. It's a great instrument: comfortable, light and resonant. It also came with documentation and a photo of Dale w/ the guitar. Still, I suspect I overpaid a bit. In the real world I'm not sure the history really adds much monetary value.
I agree about the ASAT, the DFV option does seem rare.

I'll try to post more pics at some point.

Eric

Yes, I know Acme well and have used Mike as a valuable resource on more than one occasion. He has a lot of stuff in that head of his. He also has a couple other guitars that I want if we can move some on the price.

Play on!!

Tom

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:28 am

Elwood wrote:Welcome Eric,
Those are couple cool G&L's, I'm looking forward to more pics :D
The BB seems like a perfect compliment to your sonic arena.

I have a Skyhawk that had Dale's attention at one point.The wood choice is Primo.
Anything from Dale's collection has got my vote for paying a few extra bucks,
....especially if your playing it often :elguitar054:

cheers,
Elwood

That Hawk sounds great. Is it ash? How much does it weight?
Some people here sure have amazing collections.

The Bluesboy 90 left California for Michigan yesterday. The retailer has a good return policy but hopefully it's a keeper. There are not a ton to chose from online.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:25 pm

mutts wrote:

It is Ash (Northern?), probably around 9lbs.
Here's a link to a thread with pics

Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:04 am

Elwood wrote:
mutts wrote:

Great looking guitar and interesting find inside. It's too bad there is no easy way to learn more about an instrument's history. My Skyhawk has some info provided but it's still not clear why it was part of Dale's collection. My limited research led me to the impression his collection was primarily special runs and prototypes.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:46 am

Elwood wrote:
mutts wrote:

Elwood, I was looking at the past post about your beautiful Skyhawk, I just sold my S-500 which is very similar. Same year too. Did you ever answer the question about the mysterious sticker in the routed cavity? The S-500 has a similar stickers the trem cavity and it's the same as the body date stamp. I don't have a pic of the neck cavity for some reason but here's a couple pics of interest. The thing is though, on your Skyhawk, it would have had to be built in '81 so it can't be the same thing. Just wondering if you ever got any more info.

Image Image

I never did take the pick guard off. I have also seen these stickers on the bottom of Schaller pickups in G&Ls.

Just some interesting stuff...

Tom

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:36 pm

FZTNT wrote: Did you ever answer the question about the mysterious sticker in the routed cavity?

No,I didn't. I forgot about that one :think: :)
I see the corner of the sticker is folded, "81" might not be the last numbers. (They are usually date stickers.)

Your S-500 does look like it could have come from the same tree.

Mon May 01, 2017 12:07 am

Would love to see (many) more pics of your early '92 ASAT Special with DFV bridge!

Mon May 01, 2017 6:51 am

Hi guys Regarding Elwoods sticker that Toms talking about, isnt it just a date stamp thats been torn, the tear marks align well and date is 29th of the 5th 1981 And welcome mutts, very nice guitars for sure.
Cheers all
G

Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Geoff,
Yes...but...that Skyhawk is a '90-'91. Maybe the stamp didn't quite catch the '9'

(sorry for the hijack)
Elwood

Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 am

OK, here's a theory, and I have no idea as to the measurements but have always thought that the Skyhawk, S-500 and some other models have very similar bodies, just different pickups and electronics or hardware.

The sticker, I have no doubt, says 52981 which as Elwood says couldn't be a date for a Skyhawk. But it could be a date for an S-500, no. Maybe they had this body lying around for ten years (not entirely uncommon) and someone found it and said wow, this would make a cool Skyhawk, whaddya think Dale?

Just an interesting theory, nothing more. Do you have any info from the log book?

Tom

Mon May 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Lacking Talent wrote:Would love to see (many) more pics of your early '92 ASAT Special with DFV bridge!

here's a couple smart phone pics.

unfortunately I don't own a decent camera.

Mon May 01, 2017 4:39 pm

Ahhh, i see now the mystery, very interesting indeed, thank you Elwood and sorry for the hijack too.

Cheers all