New to G&L Guitars........

Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:29 pm

Not new to guitars period having started playing in the '60s but after many years of playing Fender Teles and wishing to own another small piece of Leo's legacy to us I purchased a barely used Tribute ASAT Special that arrived today in absolutely mint condition. It's a gorgeous flawless sunburst finish and sounds great but it does need a little tweaking to get the setup to my liking so that's tomorrow's project.

I do my own setups and have for more years than I'd like to admit but I'm unfamiliar with the size allen wrench the truss rod of a Tribute takes. Doing a search I see 4mm listed for USA models but was unable to determine whether or not this was also true of the Tributes. That would be the most logical assumption but maybe not the correct one so could someone confirm that for me before I set out to make this guitar really mine?

Thank you in advance for getting a G&L neophyte headed in the right direction as I look forward to adding this guitar to my herd. Any other advice, tips, or suggestions on setups from truss rod, to saddles, to pickup height would also be greatly appreciated if it's somewhat different than one might ordinarily find with a Telecaster. I look forward to posting with you all from time to time.

Re: New to G&L Guitars........

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:02 am

welcome, soulman969!
for the tribute series (as with US 2006 and up):
truss rod: 4 mm
bridge saddle height adjust: 1.5 mm
saddle lock bridge adjustment screw and pickup pole pieces: 2 mm
please post some pic's of your guitar when you get a chance, and enter it into the registry

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:15 am

drjho7 wrote:welcome, soulman969!
for the tribute series (as with US 2006 and up):
truss rod: 4 mm
bridge saddle height adjust: 1.5 mm
saddle lock bridge adjustment screw and pickup pole pieces: 2 mm
please post some pic's of your guitar when you get a chance, and enter it into the registry

Many thanks to you for the information sir. Mine is a 2015 and while it would have seemed logical for both to be 4 mm logic isn't always the guiding factor with all manufacturers. I haven't taken and personal photos yet but here's one provided by the seller. IMHO it looks much better in person. I'll add it to the Registry as well.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 am

soulman969 wrote:Not new to guitars period having started playing in the '60s but after many years of playing Fender Teles and wishing to own another small piece of Leo's legacy to us I purchased a barely used Tribute ASAT Special that arrived today in absolutely mint condition. It's a gorgeous flawless sunburst finish and sounds great but it does need a little tweaking to get the setup to my liking so that's tomorrow's project.

I do my own setups and have for more years than I'd like to admit but I'm unfamiliar with the size allen wrench the truss rod of a Tribute takes. Doing a search I see 4mm listed for USA models but was unable to determine whether or not this was also true of the Tributes. That would be the most logical assumption but maybe not the correct one so could someone confirm that for me before I set out to make this guitar really mine?

Thank you in advance for getting a G&L neophyte headed in the right direction as I look forward to adding this guitar to my herd. Any other advice, tips, or suggestions on setups from truss rod, to saddles, to pickup height would also be greatly appreciated if it's somewhat different than one might ordinarily find with a Telecaster. I look forward to posting with you all from time to time.

See the G&L Knowledgebase sub-forums.
For example this post answers your allen wrench question: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:18 am

Craig wrote:
soulman969 wrote:Not new to guitars period having started playing in the '60s but after many years of playing Fender Teles and wishing to own another small piece of Leo's legacy to us I purchased a barely used Tribute ASAT Special that arrived today in absolutely mint condition. It's a gorgeous flawless sunburst finish and sounds great but it does need a little tweaking to get the setup to my liking so that's tomorrow's project.

See the G&L Knowledgebase sub-forums.
For example this post answers your allen wrench question: Can you tell me which allen wrenches I need for my G&L?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

It does Craig and thank you. I did a search last night but couldn't locate the correct thread that contained the info.

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks again for all the help and guidance. I was able to set aside a set of allen wrenches just for this guitar and after setting it to my preferred specs it is simply one of the best playing guitars I own. Now I wish I hadn't waited so long to take the plunge with an ASAT Special. They truly are very unique and in the best of ways.