Hello from Massachusetts

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:30 pm

Hello friends,

Please let me introduce myself. I'm a new owner of an 80's ASAT Special tribute that has become my favorite guitar! I've played guitar for over 50 years: first 40 or so on acoustic steel string playing finger style bluesy improvisation but the last few years I've tried to follow my dreams of playing jazz inflected chord melodies. I have a Sadowsky SS-15 archtop, a couple of Ibanez electric hollow and semi hollows, a fun Agile Harm I semi and my old Yamaha FG-180 ('67) and a newer Taylor grand concert. But the ASAT is the most playable and balanced tonally and just nails the kind of sound I want for jazz through my Polytone Minibrute III. It's the first 25.5 in scale electric I've had and love the string tension and tone I get with Thomastic Power Bright 11-53 round wounds. I just can't believe the quality of the ASAT and to think I got it for a bit over $300 in virtually new condition! -Thanks Leo!!!

Resp'ly

Gary B.

Re: Hello from Massachusetts

Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Gary,

It sounds like you are hooked.

Enjoy,

Y2kc

Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:25 am

Welcome, Gary. Congrat's on your ASAT. They started making the tribute series in 2003. What is your serial #? Please post a pic or two, and add your guitar to the GBL registry.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am

My bad! I believe the guitar is from mid 90's. I somehow jumped a decade or so. I've registered the guitar with the serial no. 070718848 which seems to indicate a mid-2007 construction date. Tri-color sunburst, swamp ash, rosewood board.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:29 am

It would be July 2007 build. The Tribute sn have build date coded in their format. USA sn do not.

Sounds lile you found a wonderful deal. Enjoy!

Cheers, Dan

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Wait a minute, you got that guitar for $300.00 bucks? WTFender!

y2kc

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 am

Well, it was $325. 10 years old and virtually un-played. I believe the original owner rejected the guitar because of an improperly cut nut. the slots were too high but a few minutes with the nut files fixed the problem. I also shimmed the neck a bit and now the guitar plays beautifully.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Welcome and congratulations on your great deal !
but the last few years I've tried to follow my dreams of playing jazz inflected chord melodies

Sounds like Planetalk would be right up your alley. " Melody loves chord tones " , Kirk is not wrong.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:54 pm

I don't know about Planetalk but reading the info on the website does seem like its my general approach to playing. I never did play scales or single note soloing. The more I play jazz standards I find my improvisation skills have improved considerably with chords transitioning into chords in more complex and fluid ways. My wife actually says I sound good sometimes but still asks why I don't play "songs with words"!

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Its made a huge difference in my playing , that's for sure. I wish I had found his site years ago.