New G&L Owner, Goodbye Fender©!

Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:37 am

Hi everyone

I have been playing guitar for more than 20 years and have owned and played quite a number of top of the line guitars. I have been a die-hard Fender fan and owned many. I just wanted to share that recently I was pleasantly surprised to play a USA Legacy and was blown away by the playability and sound of the guitar. I decided to take the plunge and I bought an awesome ASAT Special 3 Limited from the Midlothian Music Store series. I was not disappointed as it is an amazing guitar that produces some incredible sounds with a workmanship that is BETTER than 90% of the Fender Custom Shop guitars out there.

I have sold 4 Fender guitars and in the process of selling the last 2 which will fuel my purchase of an S-style G&L...

I have now ordered a second ASAT, a really unqiue Z3.

I have now come to the conclusion that owning a G&L guitar is like having an amazing vintage playing and sounding instrument, but it's brand new... and G&L can contact me about using that in future marketing materials!

Last edited by gothink1 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

Re: New G&L Owner, Goodbye Fender!

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:42 am

welcome gothink1, that sure is a cool looking asat special. prob reasonably quiet with the reverse wound middle pup.
gotta love the large coil mfd pup's - they sound great!

Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 am

Thanks John, The large MFDs sound clear and wonderful and yes it is virtually hum-free. I couldn't be more happy with it.

Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:10 am

That's a great guitar ! Like that finish with the rosewood fretboard...

Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:05 am

Welcome gothink1! That is one sweet looking ASAT Special. My first G&L was an Tribute series ASAT Special Deluxe. Those large MFDs are amazing. I've since added a GbL LE-2, ASAT Classic S, Tribute JB-2, and an second body style SC-3. As a project, I'd like take an ASAT Special and replace the neck pickup with a F-100 MFD neck pickup - sort of an all MFD version of the Bluesboy.

Midlothian Music... So are you a southsider? Sox fan myself, though I live north. As far as I know Midlothian Music is the only store that sells the ASAT Special with 3 soapbar MFDs. Alley Cat also has a 3 coil ASAT Special, but with S-500 pu in the middle.

Again great guitar and welcome to the club!

Cheers,
Dan

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 am

Sweet ASAT! Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with these guitars. Like you said, they're every bit as good as any custom shop from the other big brands and the pickups are the icing on the cake.

I notice it's a 2014 model. did Midlothian sell it as new or did they give you any sort of discount? Either way, it's worth every penny. I have never bought a brand new G&L and was wondering if I should look around and try to find one close to what I want at a store or order exactly what I want but pay full price.

That orange is nice...

Tom

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:35 pm

FZTNT wrote:Sweet ASAT! Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with these guitars. Like you said, they're every bit as good as any custom shop from the other big brands and the pickups are the icing on the cake.

I notice it's a 2014 model. did Midlothian sell it as new or did they give you any sort of discount? Either way, it's worth every penny. I have never bought a brand new G&L and was wondering if I should look around and try to find one close to what I want at a store or order exactly what I want but pay full price.

That orange is nice...

Tom

Hi Tom

I dont live in the area, but Midlothian is the only store since the Buffalo brothers to special order the ASAT 3. And they have some great ones! It was sold as new because it is new.. fresh in the box, fantastic. If you look on Reverb.com or Ebay.com you can fine some fine guitars at very good prices...

Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:38 pm

WitSok wrote:Welcome gothink1! That is one sweet looking ASAT Special. My first G&L was an Tribute series ASAT Special Deluxe. Those large MFDs are amazing. I've since added a GbL LE-2, ASAT Classic S, Tribute JB-2, and an second body style SC-3. As a project, I'd like take an ASAT Special and replace the neck pickup with a F-100 MFD neck pickup - sort of an all MFD version of the Bluesboy.

Midlothian Music... So are you a southsider? Sox fan myself, though I live north. As far as I know Midlothian Music is the only store that sells the ASAT Special with 3 soapbar MFDs. Alley Cat also has a 3 coil ASAT Special, but with S-500 pu in the middle.

Again great guitar and welcome to the club!

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks Dan. Yes I saw the Allet Cats too. I have a question about theat MFD humbucker. Check this out on reverb.com right now... http://rvrb.io/1990-asat-hb25c-si-jhe

A fresh NOS 1990 ASAT III HB 2SC !!! How does that HB sound I wonder?

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:10 pm

gothink1 wrote:
FZTNT wrote:Sweet ASAT! Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with these guitars. Like you said, they're every bit as good as any custom shop from the other big brands and the pickups are the icing on the cake.

That orange is nice...

Tom

Hi Tom

I dont live in the area, but Midlothian is the only store since the Buffalo brothers to special order the ASAT 3. And they have some great ones! It was sold as new because it is new.. fresh in the box, fantastic. If you look on Reverb.com or Ebay.com you can fine some fine guitars at very good prices...

I have seen many nice guitars on those sites. The one you linked to seems a bit steep but I am not sure I have seen that configuration before. What does the HB 2SC refer to? Is it one hum bucker and 2 single coil? I would assume so. I think the guitar Dan is referring to is the ASAT III which I believe was first built in 1990 or so and again in 1997-98. It has three S-500 MFD single coil pups with the center one reverse wound. They play awesome and sound awesome but the early ones are very hard to find. The 97's are fairly rare too because they do play so well people hang on to them. It's a combination they won't build anymore.

Here's one on Ebay you might like...
Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-III-1997-Black-Metallic-In-Mint-Condition-/322416545734?hash=item4b11860fc6:g:yRYAAOSwnHZYmhj5

Tom
Last edited by Craig on Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: ebay links are not safe to post as links.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:23 pm

That's a cool ASAT. I've seen a few listings for ASATs with HG bucker in the bridge position, though not often. I've never personally heard the HG MFD buckers, but they were supposedly pretty bright.

The project I'm think of would be similar to Thumb's modification (link below). He took an ASAT Special and placed an HG MFD bucker in the neck position. Since I don't have an HG pickup and I image they would be hard to come by, my thought was an F-100 MFD bucker in the neck positon.

viewtopic.php?f=115&t=3063

Tom, that is a gorgeous ASAT III. The metallic black is awesome.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:43 am

Nice looking guitar . The clear orange is a nice finish. I am getting curious about 3 large MFD's now. Enjoy it !

Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 am

FZTNT wrote:
gothink1 wrote:
FZTNT wrote:
I have seen many nice guitars on those sites. The one you linked to seems a bit steep but I am not sure I have seen that configuration before. What does the HB 2SC refer to? Is it one hum bucker and 2 single coil? I would assume so. I think the guitar Dan is referring to is the ASAT III which I believe was first built in 1990 or so and again in 1997-98. It has three S-500 MFD single coil pups with the center one reverse wound. They play awesome and sound awesome but the early ones are very hard to find. The 97's are fairly rare too because they do play so well people hang on to them. It's a combination they won't build anymore.

Code:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-L-ASAT-III-1997-Black-Metallic-In-Mint-Condition-/322416545734?hash=item4b11860fc6:g:yRYAAOSwnHZYmhj5

Tom

Hi Tom,

Any idea why we cannot order this configuration anymore? I would love to order an ASAT with two of these humbuckers (like a 25th anniversary) and add an S-500 in the middle. Heck I would love to get a mahogany ASAT with 2 of the those humbuckers....

Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 am

Hi gothink1,

Great ASAT ya got there. :thumbup: That pup configuration is on my may get list, or at least mod a tribby ASAT with a middle pup. Give a tone report when you can, I would like to hear what you like best about the three MFD's.

Ditto on Tom's comment about ASAT III's. I have one and it does have a tone all to itself.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am

gothink1 wrote:
FZTNT wrote:
gothink1 wrote:
FZTNT wrote:

Code:

Tom

Hi Tom,

Any idea why we cannot order this configuration anymore? I would love to order an ASAT with two of these humbuckers (like a 25th anniversary) and add an S-500 in the middle. Heck I would love to get a mahogany ASAT with 2 of the those humbuckers....

Ya know, I really don't know why they don't offer these pickups anymore. Sam and Jos are two of the local ASAT experts, maybe they can shed some light on that. It's a great sounding guitar. Could be just a diminishing returns kind of thing where you can't make everything so they have to stop somewhere.

Tom

Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:54 am

gothink1 I will see if I can shed some light with some information from Jos's yowhatsshakin and Greg Gagliano's web pages. Why these are not offered any more is up to the boys at G&L. IMHO it is based on a combination of a few factors: limited editions are just that, a limited number produced, the diminishing returns aspect Tom mentions and some pups are not offered anymore like the HG-2 pickup. Anyone who can add more to this please do.

HB 2SC is variant of the ASAT III. It is fitted with a small MFD humbucker taken from the early ‘80s G&L HG-2 model. The HG-2 pickup has a higher output than the S-500 bridge pickup.
http://ggjaguar.com/asat3hum.htm

The ASAT III is a hybrid ASAT offered from 1987 to 1991, and as Tom said again in 1997-98 as the ASAT Classic III. The ASAT III used ASAT circuitry with a 5-way switch and three “Strat-sized” MFD single coil pickups from the S-500 model instead of the usual pair of ASAT soapbar pickups. The S-500 pickups combined with the standard ASAT electronics makes the ASAT III unique -- it doesn't sound exactly like an S-500 or an ASAT. The Classic III uses 3 traditional sized, Tele-style Magnetic Field Design (MFD) pickups you would find on the ASAT Classic but with the middle pickup being a reverse wound/reverse polarity neck pickup.
http://ggjaguar.com/asat3.htm
http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... c_III.html

There is the ASAT™Cat offered through Alley Cat Music in State College, PA. This guitar adds an S-500 middle pickup to the ASAT Special model. Their initial run in 2007 consisted of 10 solids and 10 semi-hollow guitars. There a couple of these on Reverb or ebay now.
http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... proto.html

As a shameless plug for these two guys I borrowed this information from, here are links to Jos and Greg Gagliano's web pages, enjoy! :elguitar054:
http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatsshakin/Welcome.html
http://ggjaguar.com/gnl.htm
http://ggjaguar.com/gggjag.htm

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 am

What Sam says and one more link: http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... e_HSS.html

- Jos

Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 am

Regarding the S-3's short production life, there were many customers and dealers who complained about the Jumbo MFD middle pickup getting in the way, so G&L discontinued the model.

Here are some posts to check out on our site:
List of Regular Production ASAT-style guitars (USA)
List of Special Edition & Non-Production ASAT-style guitars
List of pickups used in G&L guitars
Production List of G&L Instruments (USA)

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:34 am

sam wrote:gothink1 I will see if I can shed some light with some information from Jos's yowhatsshakin and Greg Gagliano's web pages. Why these are not offered any more is up to the boys at G&L. IMHO it is based on a combination of a few factors: limited editions are just that, a limited number produced, the diminishing returns aspect Tom mentions and some pups are not offered anymore like the HG-2 pickup. Anyone who can add more to this please do.

HB 2SC is variant of the ASAT III. It is fitted with a small MFD humbucker taken from the early ‘80s G&L HG-2 model. The HG-2 pickup has a higher output than the S-500 bridge pickup.
http://ggjaguar.com/asat3hum.htm

The ASAT III is a hybrid ASAT offered from 1987 to 1991, and as Tom said again in 1997-98 as the ASAT Classic III. The ASAT III used ASAT circuitry with a 5-way switch and three “Strat-sized” MFD single coil pickups from the S-500 model instead of the usual pair of ASAT soapbar pickups. The S-500 pickups combined with the standard ASAT electronics makes the ASAT III unique -- it doesn't sound exactly like an S-500 or an ASAT. The Classic III uses 3 traditional sized, Tele-style Magnetic Field Design (MFD) pickups you would find on the ASAT Classic but with the middle pickup being a reverse wound/reverse polarity neck pickup.
http://ggjaguar.com/asat3.htm
http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... c_III.html

There is the ASAT™Cat offered through Alley Cat Music in State College, PA. This guitar adds an S-500 middle pickup to the ASAT Special model. Their initial run in 2007 consisted of 10 solids and 10 semi-hollow guitars. There a couple of these on Reverb or ebay now.
http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatssha ... proto.html

As a shameless plug for these two guys I borrowed this information from, here are links to Jos and Greg Gagliano's web pages, enjoy! :elguitar054:
http://www.yowhatsshakin.com/yowhatsshakin/Welcome.html
http://ggjaguar.com/gnl.htm
http://ggjaguar.com/gggjag.htm

Hi Sam, Thanks for all that great info. It makes it hard to decide what to buy. I want a 25th anniversary ASAT but wouldnt want to customize one of course. I also want a ASAT III because I KNOW that bridge alone makes a huge difference in the sound and sustain. I guess I will try to see what a premier dealer is capabale of 'custom' ordering

I have also heard some rumors that there might be some model changes/pcik up configurations and other things happening at G&L this year... anyone else hear that?

Re: New G&L Owner, Goodbye Fender©!

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:45 pm

WitSok wrote:That's a cool ASAT. I've seen a few listings for ASATs with HG bucker in the bridge position, though not often. I've never personally heard the HG MFD buckers, but they were supposedly pretty bright.

They are bright, but to my ears there's still enough bass and mid that it doesn't sound shrill. The HSS-configured ASAT III sounds great in all five positions, but mine stays mostly on the HB or the HB/S positions. Personally, I prefer it to the usual Skyhawk bridge pickup.

Ken

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 am

Of course, due to my new addiction of G&L guitars and the fact that I had to have at least two guitars to compare...

Here is the new addition, a NOS semi-hollow Z3. Absolutely wonderful guitar.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 am

That's a Beauty !
Joy!! :D

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:46 am

wow, your asat z3 sh is drop dead gorgeous!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:50 am

Yeah, this color was quoted by the dealer as "an old color we used to order which we called amber - somewhere between honey and clear orange" But in the registry I found instead, caramel, which looks and seems appropriate totally. Unfortunately it doesnt have a build sheet as it was created before those... but it sure is beautiful

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:58 am

Nice addition! Congrats! :happy0065: :happy0065:

- Jos

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:00 am

Congrats gothink1, :thumbup:

you will love that guitar. I have a Z3 SH no F-Hole (added a WR pup) and a Will Ray and those suckers rule! My only suggestion, being the enabler I am, would be to go to the G&L online store and grab a Will Ray bridge pup and slap that in for even bigger sound. :alright:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:26 am

Wow, sweet Z-3! Love that qulited top and the color is definately unique. I need me a Z-3! Enjoy.

Cheers, Dan

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:55 pm

sam wrote:Congrats gothink1, :thumbup:

you will love that guitar. I have a Z3 SH no F-Hole (added a WR pup) and a Will Ray and those suckers rule! My only suggestion, being the enabler I am, would be to go to the G&L online store and grab a Will Ray bridge pup and slap that in for even bigger sound. :alright:

I had borrowed a WR tribute and noticed that the bridge pickup was crazy powerful. So this must be the reason as it is overwound. Not a bad idea. The stock Z3 pickups on this are not bad at all but compared to the big MFDs they are bit weaker. Thanks for the pointer, I just may do it!

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Beautiful guitars! Congrats!

Do you find the middle large MFD pickup gets in the way when you play? I recently picked up an ASAT Special that was modded with a S-500 middle pickup. The pickup is just small enough that it doesn't bother me, but I wonder if the large MFD would be a problem, as has been discussed....

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 am

cho wrote:Beautiful guitars! Congrats!

Do you find the middle large MFD pickup gets in the way when you play? I recently picked up an ASAT Special that was modded with a S-500 middle pickup. The pickup is just small enough that it doesn't bother me, but I wonder if the large MFD would be a problem, as has been discussed....

Thanks! I do not seem to have this problem other people have with the middle pickup at all. Maybe I have a different playing style, but it is not an issue for me and I absolutely love it.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:25 am

Had to share the new addition to the family! #69 of 250 25th Anniversary. It was purchased from a member here in the forum. Thanks Greg!

I have been waiting for awhile to get this guitar to hear these pickups. Wow! Growl! It is definitely Leo's answer to an "Explorer" mixed with a LP. I am really fortunate to have a great G&L dealer who was able to help get the period correct parts for a push/pull split coil knob installation (and it was done at the factory-- and I am not sure who to thank at G&L except maybe John Lekavich and Ron Marino who made it happen) It also has been pleked! Wonderful playing guitar now.

I can see how some comment on the thickness of the neck, but it is fine - still 1-5/8 wide at the nut -- it just has a little more to hold on the backside... lol

I am definitely enjoying this gem. Well worth the wait.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:37 am

Welcome to the club Gothink! Looks like you've got a running head start into the world of G&L's. Love the fact that you are gravitating to the G&L exclusive designs. ~JagInTheBag

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:14 am

Hey Gothink1,

Another beauty, and different tones fer sure! :thumbup:

Looks like you got the G&L bug, not a bad thing at all.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:31 am

Real nice looking 25th. I am kinda looking for one myself one day. Reminds me of my two ASAT Special HB's. All HOG, all balls.
Congrats,

Tom

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:08 am

JagInTheBag wrote:Welcome to the club Gothink! Looks like you've got a running head start into the world of G&L's. Love the fact that you are gravitating to the G&L exclusive designs. ~JagInTheBag

Yeah, so far I love all the CLF pickups I have... they are fantastic. I am still eyeing a Comanche. An S-500 is on the way....

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:09 am

sam wrote:Hey Gothink1,

Another beauty, and different tones fer sure! :thumbup:

Looks like you got the G&L bug, not a bad thing at all.

Yeah I got the bug alright until the Mrs clamps down...

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 am

FZTNT wrote:Real nice looking 25th. I am kinda looking for one myself one day. Reminds me of my two ASAT Special HB's. All HOG, all balls.
Congrats,

Tom

Tom, I tried everyway to Sunday to get them to make me a new HB ASAT with the F100 pickups. It was a no go, so in the end the only choice I had was a 25th... I even offered to sponsor a prototype lol.. in the end I am real happy with this guitar so no big deal. IF I COULD actually order what I wanted? ASAT, with 3 F100 pickups, Treble and Bass controls, and vibrato.... I think it would be killer.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 am

gothink1 wrote:Tom, I tried everyway to Sunday to get them to make me a new HB ASAT with the F100 pickups. It was a no go, so in the end the only choice I had was a 25th... I even offered to sponsor a prototype lol.. in the end I am real happy with this guitar so no big deal. IF I COULD actually order what I wanted? ASAT, with 3 F100 pickups, Treble and Bass controls, and vibrato.... I think it would be killer.

That is a damn shame! I LOVE the F-100 bridge pup. I have two one-off customs that feature it- LE-2 #1 and an RMC SSH S-500 hard tail. So, one with PTB and one with a single volume and tone, both with a split switch. I love them both!

The 25th Anniversary reminds me of a "Leo Carbonita" model. Sweet and Spicy!

I'm not a huge ASAT body shape fan, but I'd love to see a Leo Era SSH ASAT with the current MFD Pickup offerings.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:45 pm

JagInTheBag wrote:
gothink1 wrote:
I'm not a huge ASAT body shape fan, but I'd love to see a Leo Era SSH ASAT with the current MFD Pickup offerings.

YES and these are so rare, I want one with a vibrato. I would be quite happy with that too!

Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:57 am

Well, I couldn't help myself, I found another NOS in the box G&L, a wonderful Amber S-500.

Although I did not yet search the serial number nor do I like to take off the necks, but I am suspecting this is a 2005-6 guitar. I bought it fresh in the box new old stock!! Immaculate. It is a bit interesting as it has a FLAME maple neck with ebony fretboard (not birds-eye). The picture doesnt do that justice but it is. It is also unique in that it has a black painted headstock AND its logo delete (which I thought wouldnt have existed at this time) , and the gold logo uses the the black ampersand (&) so it is totally hidden making the logo just a G L. Some might consider this a flaw, but I see it as highly collectible!

So far I love it, the pickups are fantastically colorful and wide in breadth.

On a nother note it was originally shipped with a black pickguard but I asked the dealer to replace it with a "Baltic Amber" pickguard. I personally oredered it from Chandler and they confirm it is absilutley the LAST one that could be produced from the NOS of G&L Baltic Amber material last used on the Naked Ale Series.

Note to Craig: I had to choose Caramel in the registry for color as AMBER only appears as a Tribute color, however my dealer has repeatedly noted to me that in the 2000s it was an option for US guitars and he ordered a number Comanches in this color.

Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:15 pm

gothink1 wrote:Well, I couldn't help myself, I found another NOS in the box G&L, a wonderful Amber S-500.

Although I did not yet search the serial number nor do I like to take off the necks, but I am suspecting this is a 2005-6 guitar. I bought it fresh in the box new old stock!! Immaculate. It is a bit interesting as it has a FLAME maple neck with ebony fretboard (not birds-eye). The picture doesnt do that justice but it is. It is also unique in that it has a black painted headstock AND its logo delete (which I thought wouldnt have existed at this time) , and the gold logo uses the the black ampersand (&) so it is totally hidden making the logo just a G L. Some might consider this a flaw, but I see it as highly collectible!

On a nother note it was originally shipped with a black pickguard but I asked the dealer to replace it with a "Baltic Amber" pickguard. I personally oredered it from Chandler and they confirm it is absilutley the LAST one that could be produced from the NOS of G&L Baltic Amber material last used on the Naked Ale Series.

Note to Craig: I had to choose Caramel in the registry for color as AMBER only appears as a Tribute color, however my dealer has repeatedly noted to me that in the 2000s it was an option for US guitars and he ordered a number Comanches in this color.

The US Amber finish was only available in 2009. I think your S-500 was probably made in 2004/2005, so the finish is likely "Honey".
I'll check with the factory next week to find out the finish name on your guitar.

Stay tuned.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I love Fenders and I love G&L.

I have owned some very nice custom shop Fender teles.
However, G&L provides the best bang for buck in gorgeous superb playing USA made guitars.

I no longer own and play custom shop Fenders and now that I am retired, my G&L perfectly satisfies my custom Tele requirements.

If a G&L is good enough for Glen Campbell, I guess it's good enough for me. :thumbup:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:26 am

Craig wrote:
gothink1 wrote:Well, I couldn't help myself, I found another NOS in the box G&L, a wonderful Amber S-500.

The US Amber finish was only available in 2009. I think your S-500 was probably made in 2004/2005, so the finish is likely "Honey".
I'll check with the factory next week to find out the finish name on your guitar.

Stay tuned.

Here is Spencer's reply on the build history of your guitar:

Hi Craig,

Our records indicate:

S500 HONEY-EB-BLACK HEADSTOCK-BWB

Built on 8/26/04

Sold to Midlothian School of Music.

On the Amber Ale color: that was a limited run with the Baltic Amber pickguards. Once that plastic was no longer available, we bought up all remaining stock and did the Amber Ale limited run. I believe a few went out with different color pickguards after the Baltic Amber was all gone. I don't have exact dates on the Amber Ale production run. You could probably see some pop up as late as 2011. The bulk were in a big batch in 2009.

Thanks,

Spencer

I sent Spencer a followup email asking if Amber Ale is the same as Honey Ale used on the 2012 Nearly Naked Collection?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 am

Hi Craig,

Thanks for checking and getting some info. I can tell you for sure that it is not tha same finish as the nearly naked series. This one is a poly gloss finish. The nearly naked is a matt finish that looks almost like a stain, bit it is really hard and protective but not glossy at all. Its a great player and has wonderful neck and finish so I love it!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:05 am

The is one seriously beautiful S-500! I really dig how the gold of the G&L logo pops on that black headstock. Nice Score gothink1!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:09 am

Nice collection you got going there gothink1. Sweet 25th Anniversary model. I really wish they would offer the MFD buckers in an ASAT as a regular model. Go with bolt on neck and different woods to keep the 25th special. Bummer they would let you commission a prototype. I think this model would sell!

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:08 am

I've been playing for 50 years plus starting at 15 in 1966 with a genuine used Gibson Thunderbird, blue metallic, single pickup, graduating to a used Fender Precision that had the headstock insignia shaved off as was the finish and neck that in hindsight was too thin for prior owner. Fenders could be bought new for a couple of hundred bucks. Garage bands started up and disbanded almost as soon selling off their instruments. At 17 I went professional and found a two bass hit -- 1957 Precision, refinished in white but original neck, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, insignia intact and was the love of my life. The other was a 1963 Jazz bass painted black I didn't have all that much affinity with. It went to my younger brother who went to Nashville and worked 21 years straight with Tim McGraw. He put that aside because of a Tobias endorsement and when that went downhill be bought a Sadowsky for what? $3500? More? Hrumph.

To point, the music biz as it was once known, declining with the FM radio format then Disco -- I got outta the biznezz which included doing commercial record and film work locally in Miami and Ft. Laud. using a "FrankenFender" Precision from Jaco historian Bob Bobbins. Nothin' but funky and I truly did beat that workhorse to death. Mid 80's I got out of the business because of the Disco craziness. No way I was gonna wear heals in some Cuban Disco glitter band for local audiences doped out on Sopers. My friend Joe Galdo took Gloria Estefan and tightened up her stuff, went international into Central and So. America and local cats like me knew the writing on the wall and I went into a small business that went for 25 years retiring from it in 2005. My wife and I got into flipping houses just before the housing bubble crash and we got out unscathed. What the Hell. I never stopped listening and practicing, sold the FrankenFender for a strange low end Gibson Tobias 5 string, clear polyurethane body finish, bolt on neck but THAT bass was terrific. Light as a feather and the best recording bass I ever owned. It "walloped." Huge. But it was terrible through an amp. Even Genz Benz commented the Tobias with Bartolinis sounded like mush through my particular combo amp, now discontinued. Sold that for a 2010 EB Music Man Stingray Classic 4, birdseye maple neck, slab body natural finish, through body bridge configuration. I never warmed up to it, traded it in for a Flea Signature. More gimmick than gear. I gave that back after finding a pristine G&L JB, metallic frost grey, same on headstock, ebony fingerboard. WOW! WOW! I love this bass to death! Just strung up Rotosound 77 heavies and it is a funk machine! The most articulate, defined and huge sound of every note -- it is as G&L describes. This is Leo Fender's greatest achievement fully realized.

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:19 am

Robert,

I love a great testimony; especially it comes unsolicited from someone with 5 decades of comparative experience! Thanks for that.