G&L in Adelaide, South Australia

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Hello. I could have sworn that I was a member of this years ago, but I can't find any record of that, so I just registered again. I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and I currently have a Legacy and a Comanche, both US models, and both with maple fingerboards. Over the years, I have had others. I generally regret it every time that I sell one, although I recently sold a Comanche with rosewood fingerboard to make room for the new one that I found with maple, and I felt ok about that sale. I don't know how many members there are living in Australia, but I find it annoying how underappreciated G&L guitars are here. You can list one online and no one seems to care, but they go after anything that has the word Fender in it. Of course, guitars cost too much over here too, but that's not specific to G&L.

Re: G&L in Adelaide, South Australia

Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:54 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Hello. I could have sworn that I was a member of this years ago, but I can't find any record of that, so I just registered again. I live in Adelaide, South Australia, and I currently have a Legacy and a Comanche, both US models, and both with maple fingerboards. Over the years, I have had others. I generally regret it every time that I sell one, although I recently sold a Comanche with rosewood fingerboard to make room for the new one that I found with maple, and I felt ok about that sale. I don't know how many members there are living in Australia, but I find it annoying how underappreciated G&L guitars are here. You can list one online and no one seems to care, but they go after anything that has the word Fender in it. Of course, guitars cost too much over here too, but that's not specific to G&L.

You may well still be a GbL member, but you must have changed your email address which you used to register here on the current G&LDP (aka G&L Forum), because I could not find a membership
with your current email address. We changed the G&LDP to forum software in 2010. See: Welcome! Read This First.
If you remember your GbL handle or your the email address you used to register on the GbL, let me know (PM or EM) and I can update your GbL User Profile.

We do have a number of Aussie members here, hopefully they will welcome you back, too.

We would love to see your current G&L instruments, so please post some photos of them. And don't forget to add them to our G&L Registry.

Welcome back! :wave:

:ugeek:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:04 am

Hi mate,

Welcome (back). Another Aussie here (BNE) with an '87 SC-2 and a made in Japan (Tribute) ASAT Classic. There are a few of us on this forum now.

The ASAT slays everything else I own, and sounds good in every scenario.

More pics: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13501

Cheers,
Andrew

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:25 am

Welcome back(?)! I am a G&L member in Perth with a mahogany SC2 US made with trem bought on the review of a US member here, a Fallout with hardtail US made (put in a Kinman noiseless P90 because of too much RF everywhere), a tribute Will Ray and a great L2500 tribute 5 string bass. As you can guess they are addictive once you start on them.

cheers Jeremy

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:02 am

Thanks for the replies and welcome. I started to post some pictures, then realised it was more complicated than I had remembered, and there is something strange happening with my login. I see that the gallery requires a separate registration but, even before I got that far, I seem to have ended up with two registrations. So for the gallery, is your login ID (handle) supposed to be the same as in the forum?

I do want to post pictures because I have a couple questions about my Comanche, which is the G&L that I just recently acquired. First, on my Legacy (which I've had close to 15 years), right under the word Legacy on the front of the headstock, it says Made in USA. On the Comanche, it doesn't say that anywhere. It does have a USA serial number (CLF47193). Is that normal?, to not say Made in USA anywhere? I believe that my previous Comanche was the same. Second, it has been my understanding (from reading some information on here) that the tuners should typically either say Sperzel on them if they are Sperzels, or say G&L on them if the are Schallers? On my Comanche, they are lockiing tuners, but don't say anything. Is that normal? I believe my other Comanche was the same. Thanks for whatever info people can provide. I'll work on posting pictures now.

David

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:46 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Thanks for the replies and welcome. I started to post some pictures, then realised it was more complicated than I had remembered, and there is something strange happening with my login. I see that the gallery requires a separate registration but, even before I got that far, I seem to have ended up with two registrations. So for the gallery, is your login ID (handle) supposed to be the same as in the forum?

I do want to post pictures because I have a couple questions about my Comanche, which is the G&L that I just recently acquired. First, on my Legacy (which I've had close to 15 years), right under the word Legacy on the front of the headstock, it says Made in USA. On the Comanche, it doesn't say that anywhere. It does have a USA serial number (CLF47193). Is that normal?, to not say Made in USA anywhere? I believe that my previous Comanche was the same. Second, it has been my understanding (from reading some information on here) that the tuners should typically either say Sperzel on them if they are Sperzels, or say G&L on them if the are Schallers? On my Comanche, they are lockiing tuners, but don't say anything. Is that normal? I believe my other Comanche was the same. Thanks for whatever info people can provide. I'll work on posting pictures now.

David

I got your PM and will reply back later today.

The USA Comanche headstock should look like this:
See this post regarding headstock decals: http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2539 .

Schaller locking tuners don't have any markings on them. See: What tuners are used on G&L guitars (USA models)?

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:00 pm

Thank you and, yes, that helps. My Comanche headstock looks the same. My belief that the Schaller tuners had the G&L logo on it came from this (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=5077) earlier post (the first response there).

David

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:27 am

Hello again. As a follow-up to my introduction, I have now posted some pictures of both my Legacy and Comanche. They are at http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... emId=20200

David

Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:39 pm

dhgleaves wrote:Hello again. As a follow-up to my introduction, I have now posted some pictures of both my Legacy and Comanche. They are at http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... emId=20200

David

love the comanche - beautiful and looks like a player. with that, hard to think the legacy would get much playing time, but the CLF-100 pups are special in and of themselves.

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:56 am

Welcome! I bought my best G&L - a blonde '90s ASAT Classic - from a guy in Adelaide, they seem to have quite the following there.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Hello. I'd be curious to know who you got it from. If they have a following here, it would be a very small one. There is a small number of people that appreciate them, but most people don't, and they are even hard to sell. There is one that has been on Gumtree for about six months now (although I may buy it). David

Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:47 am

I have no idea who it was, or even if it was a guy! Just funny that two Adelaiders (?) join at once.