Greetings from Austin! New G&L Owner and Member Here

Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Howdy. After over 30 years of knowing that G&L existed and being a current vintage Music Man Sabre owner, I have just purchased my first and it is a Legacy HSH that I purchased off of eBay! I have been looking at G&L for a bit and this particular guitar just caught my attention and haunted me until I bid on it. Unfortunately being a 2004 model, I cannot obtain a build sheet for it. Any of you guys ever see a Legacy in Whiteburst with a HSH pickup configuration? The guitar appears to be factory and neither of those options are currently available. It is almost dead mint aside from a nut repair on the low E side. It is a very sweet guitar and it plays great. Anyway, it is nice to be here and I am looking forward to interacting with other G&L owners!

Re: Greetings from Austin! New G&L Owner and Member Here

Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Howdy and welcome!

Please post some pix to prove this critter exists :) Just a tradition around here.

edg

Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:03 pm

lguggenheim wrote:Howdy. After over 30 years of knowing that G&L existed and being a current vintage Music Man Sabre owner, I have just purchased my first and it is a Legacy HSH that I purchased off of eBay! I have been looking at G&L for a bit and this particular guitar just caught my attention and haunted me until I bid on it. Unfortunately being a 2004 model, I cannot obtain a build sheet for it. Any of you guys ever see a Legacy in Whiteburst with a HSH pickup configuration? The guitar appears to be factory and neither of those options are currently available. It is almost dead mint aside from a nut repair on the low E side. It is a very sweet guitar and it plays great. Anyway, it is nice to be here and I am looking forward to interacting with other G&L owners!

The only US production HSH model that G&L builds is the Invader Plus. The body is slightly different from the Legacy body, see: Current G&L Guitar Body Shapes (U.S. models).
If your guitar is a Legacy, it likely was modified by a previous owner. The standard production Legacy body is bathtub routed, see: Which G&L guitar models have the body with a bathtub route?, so modding is fairly easy.

Please post some photos of your guitar. See this post and look for the link to the Tutorial on posting photos: Welcome! Read This First.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Ha ha, will do! I just need to figure out where I want to host them!

Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:53 pm

I've posted some pics of the guitar in the gallery, found here:

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=19747

These are of better quality than the ones that I have taken so far. I saved them from the eBay listing where I acquired the guitar. Let me know what'cha think!

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:21 pm

has a mini toggle like a S500 and pick up configuration like a Invader but with no model name on the head stock like a current option model delete decal ..... not sure what it is , but it's cool as heck with the blacked out saddle lock bridge

Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:23 pm

Might have been bui8lt for one of the NAMM shows. Gorgeous guitar. Congrats!

- Jos

Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks!

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Definitely a nice guitar. I really like the pick guard, Is that a stock guard?

Tom

Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:38 am

The way that the guard fits around the neck pocket and bridge, I would say it's either stock or somebody was extremely good at what they do. Fit and finish on this guitar is amazing.

I'm still getting used to the electronics, but the tone controls work a lot like my Music Man Sabre only without a battery to worry about.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:29 pm

Once I saw the photo with the serial number, I emailed Dave McLaren.

Here's his reply:

Hi Craig,

I can’t find that number, but it looks like early 2005 as I see numbers around that in January.

Can the owner send pics, especially in the pickup cavity where we can see a label or markings?

Thanks a lot, Craig.

Dave

I also found the guitar on the internet, see: https://wildwestguitars.com/electric/g- ... t-preowned.

I sent the link to Dave and asked if it might be a NAMM guitar, he replied:

Hi Craig,

I suspect that was built offline (unofficially). I don’t have any record of it being built or sold. It’s definitely not NAMM.

If someone had pics in the cavity I may be able to make out something, though.

Thanks, Craig.

Dave

So, if you could remove the pickguard and post photos of the cavity, I will send them to Dave for further review.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks all, and good find! It looks like the pickups have been swapped out based on that listing that was found. I'll pull the guard next time I change the strings again, and get a pic. One thing that I wouldn't mind doing to it is that since the pull-pot on the volume which splits the middle pickup doesn't alter the sound very much, maybe it can be wired to kill the middle pickup so I can just have a selection with the neck and bridge. Other than that, I like the guitar a lot just the way it is.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:21 am

After looking at the pics, I can see why it haunted you until you had to bite. There's some serious Feng Shui schtuff going on there. Congrats on the purchase!

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks man, and sorry for the late response!

I still haven't pulled the guard off for pics yet, but will hopefully do so soon when I change strings. I did confirm how the controls were wired though outside of the passive treble and bass. The toggle splits the bridge and neck humbuckers, and the push/pull on the volume splits the middle. On the middle pickup, the tone didn't really change but with my portable heater generating noise, I could hear 60-cycle hum with the coils split in general. They must have forgone the expander option to make this happen, but I would have just forgone splitting the middle pickup entirely as the tone doesn't change much when split, at least to my ear.

And some more good news... I just scored another Legacy from a dealer out of Massachusetts with a blackburst finish over a flamed maple top! Hopefully I'll have it in my hands in a week or so.