Newbie from The Netherlands :D

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi Guys,

My name is Jurry and I'm new here on this forum. I live in The Netherlands and play the guitar for about 3yrs. Play acoustic now, but wants to play electric aswell. I'm 36yrs old and my occupation is crane driver. For a long time I am looking for the "right" guitar for me. But a lot of guitar necks are small in my hands. I have sort of Adam's Family Lurch hands :D. My teacher told me try G&L guitars, they have a range of necks you can choose from. I really do like the guitars and every review you read about these guitar are positive. My question is are there members here who got the same issue with small guitar necks and play a G&L with a wider guitar neck? What kind of neck do you have, how does it play, sharing photo's between different kind of guitar necks etc,etc. Hopefully you guys have some information/ suggestions for me so I can order my own G&L guitar.

Thx.

Re: Newbie from The Netherlands :D

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:14 pm

if you order a new G&L you want Classic C + (plus) .... it has the biggest neck in the G&L line up and comes with 1 inch 11/16 th's string spacing ..... just basically a bigger and thicker neck , you'll love it

Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Jurry,

Welcome and Fumble can head you on the right direction. Do you have access to any G&L guitars? If you can either by a shop, friend or even to try one for sale, give them a try and see what neck profile it has. Good luck and happy hunting! :searching:

When you find one tell us about it.

Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi jurry,

You can check Piet Joosten in NL, he's got a couple of G&L in stock... i bought 2 guitars there and everything went pretty well...

Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:24 pm

JurryNL80 wrote:But a lot of guitar necks are small in my hands. <snip> My question is are there members here who got the same issue with small guitar necks and play a G&L with a wider guitar neck?

I'm in the same boat. I can play single-note lines much more easily on bass than on guitar. I don't have any experience with current G&Ls, but the most comfortable string spacing on any of mine is an '86 ASAT with a neck that's just barely wider than the standard Leo-era #2 profile (1 5/8" at the nut). The nut on this guitar was slotted slightly wider than normal, so it has a slim feel but spacing that's close to my Superhawk (which has a 1 3/4" nut).

Ken

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Ken , the C+ is a big neck ..... It's much easier for me to play my 86 Rampage with 1 3/4 then switch over to the old thin Leo era neck to the BBE late classic C back and forth no problems switching guitars and hitting notes , but this new C+ is a chunky neck and taking a little more time to get familiar with than I thought it would be , much harder switching back and forth with the C+ ...... been playing it a lot trying to get more comfortable with it , my hands are not basketball player huge but above average maybe ..... my ideal neck would probably be the 1 3/4 just a touch thicker than my Rampage but a lot thinner than the current C+