2002 USA ASAT Classic

Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:34 pm

I found this site after researching a guitar I purchased. I am hopefully picking it up tomorrow evening. It is a butterscotch blonde ASAT classic w/ a vintage radius neck. I was searching and searching for a new guitar. I spent a long time looking to get another one and I had a lot to pick from. Initially I was looking at Fender American Strats, Teles and even the MIM Roadhouse or Nashville tele. This led me to look at PRS and Godin and I was then referred to G&L. Loving the fender name and more importantly Leo Fender this really spoke to me but a new one is way out of my budget. I had about 800 bucks and I found this one for 775 which from what I could tell was a really good deal.

I want to play again and get in to blues, country, rockabilly adn who knows what else. I use to play in a country band and had a MIM Thinline SemiHollow tele but didn't like it. I ended up selling everything I owned music wise to buy my family our first house. I am excited to be back in it.

Re: 2002 USA ASAT Classic

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Congrats on the ASAT Classic, and welcome to G&LDP! Have you gotten to play it yet?

Ken

Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:36 pm

Howdy Kowboy,

Congratulations on the new ASAT Classic! :happy0065: Definitely the better choice of the others under consideration. Be sure to post pics when it arrives, cuz ya know with no pics it doesn't exist. :evilgrin: We do like pictures 'round here.

Be sure to log it in the registry and come around often.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:16 pm

So here it is, this is the guitar I bought and finally received. Even without plugging it in it sounds great and plays extremely well! I am so excited to have it and I love it. I don't have an amp and probably wont get one unless I get in a band. I use to play in a country band but I am going towards blues, rockabilly and country but I am going to pick up and IRIG HD 2 and use amplitube and software to play w/ headphones. I am a huge tech nerd so it will be fun. I do a lot of graphic design, video design, audio etc adn even websites so I am hoping I can mix it all together. I want to also work on ways to collaborate with other musicians.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Kowboy wrote:Image

So here it is, this is the guitar I bought and finally received. Even without plugging it in it sounds great and plays extremely well! I am so excited to have it and I love it. I don't have an amp and probably wont get one unless I get in a band. I use to play in a country band but I am going towards blues, rockabilly and country but I am going to pick up and IRIG HD 2 and use amplitube and software to play w/ headphones. I am a huge tech nerd so it will be fun. I do a lot of graphic design, video design, audio etc adn even websites so I am hoping I can mix it all together. I want to also work on ways to collaborate with other musicians.

beautiful ASAT!
friendly advice: definitely get an amp. doesn't have to be big, or tube or whatever, but get an amp, and plug that thing in. you will love the mfd pickups and their tones!

Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:47 pm

I would love too but finances and where I live I will just have to make do with what I can get. Who knows, maybe I will get to jam with someone.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:25 pm

Crazy how fast time goes....was in the Middle East when I bought this and I am back in the States and really looking forward to playing this (finally). I just picked up a Scarlet 2i2 solo and I have my Mac and amplitube 5. I live in an apartment so an amp is out of question for now. I picked up a sub to Texas blues alley and looking forward to figuring out how to play again.

I did also buy a warmth parts caster and sent it off to MJT guitars with a Darkmoon NYC Overkill custom pick guard...I like the feel of it but it has 2 buzzy frets and not sure what to do with it.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:07 pm

Kowboy wrote:I did also buy a warmth parts caster and sent it off to MJT guitars with a Darkmoon NYC Overkill custom pick guard...I like the feel of it but it has 2 buzzy frets and not sure what to do with it.

If only two buzzy frets perhaps a fret rocker and some fret crowing files might be a good investment. There are better more expensive tools for fret leveling but those two things and maybe a notched straight edge would be a good place to start. Of course if the buzzy frets are the 1st & 2nd and not random then perhaps the nut is filed too deep. If the two highest frets at the other end perhaps the neck angle or relief needs some tweaking. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube about addressing frets if you are inclined to start looking into working on them yourself. Just set-up in general is very rewarding to learn.

Nothing wrong with supporting the techs that do this stuff either though if you aren't inclined to learn it. Either way glad to hear you are back and able to start playing that ASAT.

Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:35 pm

If you already have Amplitube, that's cool. If not, I highly recommend S-Gear from Scuffham Amps. He has made a really nice sounding and easy to use amp/effects simulator for a very reasonable price. For playing in my home I also use a Blackstar HT-1R 1 watt tube amp. Sounds great, low volume, and has headphone out if you want. You should be able to find a used one for the price of amp sim software. Enjoy your new guitar.