Introduction and GbL LE question

Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Hi, my name is Mike Pugh, and I'm a guitarist and producer in Northern Virginia...my production company is named Goose Creek Music. I have admired G&Ls for many years, but unfortunately do not own one.

My dear friend Dick Thaxter was a big fan of G&Ls, and passed away late last year. I'm helping his wife sort through all the guitars and gear, and came across his GbL limited edition from 1999...I tracked it down to this forum, and read the awesome story of how the guitars were produced by G&L for forum members. Dick registered his instrument in this forum, it is listed as number 11 of 25.

I met Dick almost 20 years ago through rec.music.makers.guitars.acoustic, where he was a beloved friend and resource for many people...I'm certain he had many friends here as well.

My job is to establish a fair value for the instrument, and find it a good home...if you can help in that regard, please feel free to contact me directly. I'd also love to hear from any of Dick's friends here...he was a wonderful guy, and I miss him terribly.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Introduction and GbL LE question

Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:50 am

Mike, sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

I've never seen or heard an LE in person, but I have read they were fine sweet guitars. As for value, I can't really help you. I haven't ever seen on come up for sale. Others on here maybe able help. I'd check the guitar blue book.

If it does go for sale I hope at least it could be listed in the marketplace here.

Again sorry for your loss.

Dan

Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:19 am

Hi Mike,

I'm am sorry for the loss of your friend.

As always depending on the condition and market demand prices will fluctuate. I don't have a Bluebook price, but a quick internet search found one that sold last year for about $1700.00 shipped.

As Dan mentioned, we do have the GbL Marketplace where I am sure you will find a buyer if you choose to sell it.

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:19 pm

I am sorry to hear that Dick had passed away. He was one of the first members when Brad Traweek first created this website.

We have a photo of Dick playing the GbL LE in our Gallery:

Dick Thaxter's 1999 GbL_LE #11/25
Here's a nice pic of Dick Thaxter with his GbL_LE (#11). Dick says, "On the weekend of May 13th, 2000, about 75 folks gathered at Westmoreland State Park in Virginia for the third RMMGA East Coast Gathering. The Friday night event was a three hour open mic at the park's restaurant (arranged by local Cathy Horner) while radio station WRAR broadcast a live show. Although it was an acoustic event, I decided to do a couple of numbers with the GbL_LE. It was an amazing weekend with Collings, Goodalls, Lowdens, each's, Walker's, Santa Cruz, and even a couple of 30's and 40's Martins in attendance along with a great bunch of folks that I've become friends with-- ranging in ability from pro's to beginners. This was the third event and I've been at all three."

Besides what the other members posted, also see: Is there a good source for getting G&L instrument values?.

If you do decide to sell this guitar, please do post an Ad in our Marketplace. I will waive the 30 day membership requirements so that
you can post your Ad sooner.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek: