New Member from Sydney - Hi

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:31 am

Hi All,

My name is Ali but to some I'm known as Arti (short explanation - i have a dear friend who is 90% deaf and when we first met many (many) years ago he understood my name to be Arti instead of Ali so it stuck with that group of friends and thats why my Bar at home is called Artis Bar as is my email address! posting.php?mode=post&f=47#)

I am a new member from Sydney Australia and was introduced to G & L guitars and this forum by another dear friend of mine Geoff - Thanks Duggo!

Since Geoff schooled me on the G & L's i have come to love the instruments for their build quality, tone, sound and looks and have been lucky enough to add some nice pieces to my collection. I should say i am not that good a player - you could say all the gear, but no idea.

I am a bit of a collector of guitars but not in the traditional sense. My collection has some nice pieces in it, some collectable but nothing rear or unique. When i was young i had some nice guitars and when times were tough I had to sell them to pay the bills - common story no doubt. Now things have changed and i am doing better so when the opportunities come my way i take them, if i like the guitar (i have stopped chasing the ones that got away - or at least thats what i keep telling myself posting.php?mode=post&f=47# ).

I also love Gibson's - however, their build quality can be hit and miss, Fender is great as well but since I've owned G & L's i can't help but compare and the G & L's keeping getting the points. I am not brand sensitive i just like what i like and don't what i don't. Some guitars i just can't wait to play again and others are nice to have. At the moment, I really love the Asat 25th anniversary in my book it is one of the best i own, it is a great sounding guitar (just really heavy), also the Asat Bluesbay (and light so you can have it hanging around your neck all night) and last but not least my Gibson Midtown!

Anyway thats me in a nut shell. I look forward to chatting with other members and enthusiast about G & L's along with other guitars and music related topics.

The G & L's in my Collection are;

1994 Legacy Special in a Tobacco Burst
2011 Legacy SSS in a Lake Placid Blue
2014 Legacy HSS in a Cherry Burst
2006 Asat 25th Anniversary in the Custom Honey Burst
2007 ASAT Blues Boy without the F Hole
2012 ASAT p90 Blues Boy without the F Hole (this one I'm a little confused on cause some say it maybe a classic custom???)

Not exactly sure what else i need to put into the intro's but if you have any questions am happy to answer!

Thanks

Ali or Arti (i answer to both posting.php?mode=post&f=47#)

The link to the Photo's

http://imgur.com/a/bQXvY

Re: New Member from Sydney - Hi

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Welcome to the forum Arti.

Would love to see some pics. To help you out with the confusion with your 2012 ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 or (post-2002) ASAT Classic Custom compare the neck pups of these 2 models (links are to pages on my web site):
ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90

ASAT Classic Custom

You'll notice the neck pickup in ASAT Classic Custom as adjustable pole pieces whereas the neck pup in the ASAT Classic Bluesboy 90 has not. The difference in the position of the mounting screws is another give-away.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Jos,

Thanks for your help mate.

Ive taken some photo's but i am not very computer literate so i can't seem to get them on the page like you have with your post.

I have them stored in imgur (what my teenage son showed me)???

http://imgur.com/a/pBjfj

I think what i have is a Hollow body classic custom, thank you for the advice! The neck pick up has the adjustable pole pieces. I will amend it on the registry as well.

Im not sure of the age, there is a certificate with the Guitar but no date (which is normal). The fella I bought it off said he purchased it in 2012 new. So i assumed that it was a 2012 model however it is not unusual for guitars to sit around stores in Australia for up to 2 years so it maybe 2010 onwards. the serial number is CLF56140.

Is there a numbering protocol with G & L's (like gibson and fender) that help date a guitar?

Thanks again mate.

Cheers

Arti

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:31 pm

welcome and nice ASAT Classic Custom !!

Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Art,

Here are your pics in the thread. You were almost there! When you right-click on the picture on imager, you can copy the link. The pictures are pretty big, so I scaled them down using this construct:
Code:
timage
tag. Hit the Quote button in the upper right to see what it looks like. And there are more instruction on the Tutorial: Posting photos page of this forum.

I concur it is an ASAT Classic Custom. Production for this model ended at sometime during 2013. If your S/N is larger than CLF061### (brushed aluminum plate on back of headstock) there is a way to dat the guitar quite accurate. Even more, you can get a copy of the spec sheet from the factory (see the Replacement Certificates in the G&L Online Store. If it is a CLF##### water slide decal, it is more iffy.

Hope this helps,

- Jos

Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi Arti,

Welcome to G&LDP. That's a nice ASAT Classic Custom!

Ken

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Thank you all for the welcomes!

Thanks Jos, it is the waterslide serial number. i read in one of the posts that the dates stamped into the body and neck are the best way to determine age? When i pull it apart i will have a look.

In regards to the photo's, thanks for that, i can't begin to explain how my brain just blanks out when it comes to technical things like that. If my TV remote got anymore complicated i would stop watching TV!!!

Ive just changed to mac and it doesn't have a right click, just googled how to right click so ill give that a go as well.

Cheers

Arti,

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 pm

Welcome! Your ASAT looks great. (I thought it was bluesboy 90. :mrgreen: )