Australian G&L Owner

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:40 am

Started playing guitar in November 2015.
Purchased a S-500 USA version beginning of February 2016.
I used to like it but it's developed static through the volume control and when I had the strings replaced they made it so ridiculously low that the frets buzz.
Loved it with the factory set up but will probably let it go soon and get something better like a Squire Classic Vibe Strat [to go with the CV Tele I have] if the volume and setup issues cannot be resolved .
Last edited by tdunster on Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Australian G&L Owner

Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like your new strings might be a lighter gauge and the truss rod needs a minor adjustment. This is no biggie and would be the same for any guitar.

Can't help with local distributor sorry. They are just as hopeless as G&L themselves when it comes to after sales communication, though at least G&L do respond eventually.

Cheers,

Phil.

Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:47 pm

tdunster wrote:Started playing guitar in November 2015.
I used to like it but it's developed static through the volume control and when I had the strings replaced they made it so ridiculously low that the frets buzz.
Loved it with the factory set up but will probably let it go soon and get something better like a Squire Classic Vibe Strat [to go with the CV Tele I have] if the volume and setup issues cannot be resolved as I'm fast losing faith in the ability of the Australian distributor.

Static through the volume control may be static electricity from the pickguard. See the G&L Knowledgebase forum for posts regarding this.

For the current factory setup, this post: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.
There are also several setup tips posts from a number of members here in both sub-forums of the G&L Knowledgebase forum:
LINK: General G&L Questions (sorted by Subject)
LINK: G&L Technical Questions & Tips (sorted by Subject)

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:09 am

Philby wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum. It sounds like your new strings might be a lighter gauge and the truss rod needs a minor adjustment. This is no biggie and would be the same for any guitar.

Can't help with local distributor sorry. They are just as hopeless as G&L themselves when it comes to after sales communication, though at least G&L do respond eventually.

Cheers,

Phil.

New strings are same brand, type, and gauge as before.
Distributor is doing their best so hopefully everything gets sorted.

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:16 am

Craig wrote:
tdunster wrote:Started playing guitar in November 2015.
Loved it with the factory set up but will probably let it go soon and get something better like a Squire Classic Vibe Strat [to go with the CV Tele I have] if the volume and setup issues cannot be resolved as I'm fast losing faith in the ability of the Australian distributor.

Static through the volume control may be static electricity from the pickguard. See the G&L Knowledgebase forum for posts regarding this.

For the current factory setup, this post: Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges.
There are also several setup tips posts from a number of members here in both sub-forums of the G&L Knowledgebase forum:
LINK: General G&L Questions (sorted by Subject)
LINK: G&L Technical Questions & Tips (sorted by Subject)

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Cheers.

The problem is that the Knob on the volume control is for a solid shaft pot. Unfortunately, my pot is one of the split variety. As such the volume control knob relies on an insert to make it compatible - but it does not make contact sufficiently.

The G&L site even says that the two parts are not compatible and yet many guitars are shipped with this combination.

Anyway, distributor is going to change the pot for me and provided I can remove the insert from the original Knob I'm confident it will be fixed.
If not then I'll look at other options.

Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Saw your pictures. Did the problem get resolved?

Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:59 pm

WitSok wrote:Saw your pictures. Did the problem get resolved?

Yes. The pot and knob were not compatible [poor connection] and that's where the noise was coming from.

More specifically, the volume knob was for a solid shaft pot and the volume pot on my s-500 is a split shaft type.

There is a brass insert inside the knob so it works with split shaft pots but it is a compromise more so than a solution.

I have noticed this being used on a lot of guitars and I am quite surprised more people haven't said anything. Especially, when on the G&L website states:

“Vintage style knurled metal knobs as used on current USA ASAT, S-500 and other guitar models equipped with solid-shaft potentiometers. WILL NOT work with split-shaft potentiometers” [Source: http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... me-top-usa]

The distributor has offered to change the pot for me. I'm still undecided if I want anyone other than myself touching my guitars anymore.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:15 pm

I would love to see specific pictures of this anomaly. It sounds interesting and I would like to see the difference. I do not understand how it would create static as long as it turns the knob, thus the wiper inside the pot. If it does not make good contact with the shaft, wouldn't the knob just spin and/or fall off? Do the knobs still use the little set screw on the side to tighten it to the shaft?

Please post more info...

Tom

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:13 pm

The knob type shouldn't be an issue, as long as the knob stays on it doesn't matter. Definitely wouldn't cause 'static'. You most likely have a bad connection that's causing noise, I'd check that the earth is still soldered properly to the pot first, and the rest from there on.

As for your setup woes, check the G&L setup guide and follow it to thr letter. If that doesn't work you've done it wrong!

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:19 pm

If you're in Aus, I'm in Melbourne,
and will gladly take that USA s-500 off you :)
especially if you want a Squier ,
heck i'll bring you a Squier to your door

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:48 pm

I still have the guitar. And it's still got the static problem - but I play it so loud these days it doesn't bother me anymore.
Distributor is going to change the split shaft vol pot to a solid shaft and change knob to the version without the brass sleeve.

According to G&L Website the knobs on my S-500 are only compatible with solid shaft pots.

The G&L website quotes that:

“Vintage style knurled metal knobs as used on current USA ASAT, S-500 and other guitar models equipped with solid-shaft potentiometers. WILL NOT work with split-shaft potentiometers” [Source: http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/c ... me-top-usa]

The problem is that the contact between the brass insert and the split shaft is poor and that's where the static issue comes from - remove the knob and the static goes away.

G&L should have shipped the guitar with a solid shaft pot not a split pot and two solid shaft pots. Must have been built on a Friday afternoon.

One day I'll get around to taking it in to get fixed up - but like I said it's not so much of an issue to me now because I play too loud and dirty to even notice it.

I also bought a Squier CV50 in Sherwood Green. Lovely little guitar and much more quiet than the g&l with respect to static and buzz.

Overall though, I've learned a bit over the past year and now setup my own guitars and have the s-500 setup as per the factory setup again and it totally rocks. Low actions just don't do it for me I'm afraid.

Do I like the s-500 ? I think it's the best guitar I have ever played and I'm so glad the wife told me to buy other guitars but keep the s-500 until you are 100% sure it's not for you as you will never get another one like it for $AUS1800 again. Very true.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Today I had the volume pot changed from a split to a solid shaft variety.
The static disappeared altogether and I could not be happier.