Tribute Semi-hollow Bluesboy/neck alignment/rough fret edges

Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:43 pm

I just bought this from Musician's Friend online. This is the 2nd one, I sent the first one back
for similar issues. I guess I am kind of shocked that G&L is letting this go out the door. :shock:
I thought the first one just maybe got overlooked. Now the second with the same issues.
I have seen the post on the string alignment issue. Its still happening in 2016 and no not ever guitar
is knocked out of alignment in shipment. I took the first one to my guitar tech guy to ask him what should
I do? He was not sure the alignment was possible, 1/16 + to the high E side. Showed him the fret edges.
Are you gong to send this back? he asked. Said he could smooth them and file frets for $150, plus a $50 setup.
Here are the pics (ignore the pick guard pics) 3rd and 4th to last pic is the first guitar I sent back. Plus scratches on chrome around pickup selector.
G&L needs to know about what is being sent out. What do I do? Guitar sounds great.
Link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139903124 ... 4221195826

Re: Tribute Semi-hollow Bluesboy/neck alignment/rough fret e

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 am

gishappy wrote:I just bought this from Musician's Friend online. This is the 2nd one, I sent the first one back
for similar issues. I guess I am kind of shocked that G&L is letting this go out the door. :shock:
I thought the first one just maybe got overlooked. Now the second with the same issues.
I have seen the post on the string alignment issue. Its still happening in 2016 and no not ever guitar
is knocked out of alignment in shipment. I took the first one to my guitar tech guy to ask him what should
I do? He was not sure the alignment was possible, 1/16 + to the high E side. Showed him the fret edges.
Are you gong to send this back? he asked. Said he could smooth them and file frets for $150, plus a $50 setup.
Here are the pics (ignore the pick guard pics) 3rd and 4th to last pic is the first guitar I sent back. Plus scratches on chrome around pickup selector.
G&L needs to know about what is being sent out. What do I do? Guitar sounds great.
Link:

Unfortunately, the link you posted is not working, it just says "Page Not Found
Oops! Looks like you followed a bad link." :searching:
Please do fix the link so we can see the photos.

You might want to re-read the String alignment issues and a simple cure post and actually try it. It's easy to do and you don't need a tech
to do it. You might also show that post to your tech and point out the supporting photos.
Regarding the fret ends, that is known as "fret sprout" and is common with weather changes.
Google "fret sprout". IMO, I think your tech is asking too much for this fret work.

If the neck alignment cannot be solved by doing the simple cure, I recommend contacting MF to return the guitar for warranty repair (or replacement).

I really cannot comment any more without seeing your photos. Hopefully they clearly show the issues you describe above.

:ugeek:

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:06 pm

I just clicked on the link and it took me straight to Fickr with my photos.
You may have copy it and post into your browser depending on browser you use. I use Chrome.
I understand fret sprouting, I think. But this is a brand new guitar and I got 2 in a row like this.
My others guitars do not have this issue with rough fret edges and never have to date.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:36 pm

gishappy wrote:I just clicked on the link and it took me straight to Fickr with my photos.
You may have copy it and post into your browser depending on browser you use. I use Chrome.
I understand fret sprouting, I think. But this is a brand new guitar and I got 2 in a row like this.
My others guitars do not have this issue with rough fret edges and never have to date.

I think you need to set permissions to make the photos public or viewable to all.
I cut and pasted your link in my chrome browser with the same results as before.

What are the serial numbers of those two guitars?

Did you try the neck alignment steps, and if so, did it help?

Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:49 pm

I just made the pics Public and reposting the Link:
The serial number from the 2nd guitar is: 150905058
First guitar got sent back to MF but I can get their order#.
I will attempt the neck alignment shortly.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:22 pm

on my USA G&L's , my Legacy developes a little fret spout in the winter time out here in the dry weather , it goes away spring when the humidity goes up , it the only G&L that does this to me , hasn't bothered me enough to have it dressed , but climate and such can have a effect on fret sprout

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:07 pm

I just attempted the string realignment using the link per link instructions.
It did not change anything, no movement if any. I loosened the screws where the neck bolts on.
No change.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:02 pm

could the pick guard be preventing neck movement ?? ...... some of these pick guards are real tight on the neck joint

Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:16 pm

gishappy wrote:I just made the pics Public and reposting the Link:
The serial number from the 2nd guitar is: 150905058
First guitar got sent back to MF but I can get their order#.
I will attempt the neck alignment shortly.

Thanks for fixing the setting, so that we can now see your photos.
I downloaded your photos to view them, selecting a couple of photos and resized them for posting.

Based upon these two photos, I don't see any neck alignment issues:

So, it does not surprise me that the neck alignment simple fix did not change the alignment.
It would be helpful to see a full shot of the guitar, with it laying flat. Is that possible for you to do?

It's hard to tell if the nut slots are cut evenly. I looks like the low 'E' string slot may be too close to the edge of the fretboard (but that could be the
camera angle giving that illusion) and the high 'E' slot may be further away from the edge (which isn't necessarily a bad thing-less chance to fret-out).
Again, the full shot photo should be able to show if the issue is a poorly cut nut.

Thanks for the S/N. Your guitar was built in Sept of 2015.

Perhaps other members can weigh in, if they see something I have overlooked.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:11 pm

There is less room on the high E side, then there is on the low E side which could cause it to fret out. I was directly over the guitar.
Anyway this is about to be fixed. I contacted Ben in repairs and sent him the pics. He has agreed to fix the guitar and issued an RMA. I will ship
it to him on Friday and he exprects about a week before shipment back to me. I feel like G&L Guitars have steped up to the plate and I feel much better as a customer and can keep my Guitar to play. Thanks for all your comments, as I will keep you posted on this.

Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:23 pm

gishappy wrote:There is less room on the high E side, then there is on the low E side which could cause it to fret out. I was directly over the guitar.
Anyway this is about to be fixed. I contacted Ben in repairs and sent him the pics. He has agreed to fix the guitar and issued an RMA. I will ship
it to him on Friday and he exprects about a week before shipment back to me. I feel like G&L Guitars have steped up to the plate and I feel much better as a customer and can keep my Guitar to play. Thanks for all your comments, as I will keep you posted on this.

This is great news! I am sure Ben and the factory will make it right for you. :thumbup: