Getting a Legacy - questions about stock pups - HELP!

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Hello! I'm a long time Fender owner looking at getting some G&L's but I have some questions about the stock pickups as I'm unable to play one where I'm at. Currently I have 4 American Standard Strat's and 3 are modified with CS 69 Neck and Middle Pickups and an FS-1 in the bridge while the other has a set of Fat 50's. Generally I like the scooped bell like chime of the CS 69's but I found the stock bridge to be a little to bright and ice picky. I felt the same way (maybe more so) with the stock bridge in the CS Fat 50's set. Anyone with experience with those pickups have a comparison to the Legacy Alnico V's? A usuable bridge pickup is very important to me, and while I could always switch it out, I really would prefer not to. Also, should I consider a S-500? Will the MFD's get me anywhere close to the sound I like? Thanks!

Re: Getting a Legacy - questions about stock pups - HELP!

Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:40 pm

I have no experience of those particular Fender pickups, I do have a set of 57 / 62s in a 60th Anniversary Strat from 2006. The stock Legacy alnico pickups are fatter and fuller than the 57 /62s, with more output.

I also have several other strats, mostly with active or noisefree pickups. One thing that stands out about the Legacy is that the bridge pickup is actually useable, mostly because unlike most stock wired Fender strats it is on a tone control, so even without using the PTB controls a little is taken off the high end of the bridge pickup.

The S500 has more output, with more bass and treble, than a Legacy with alnico pickups. The Legacy will do the scooped chime way easier than an S500. The S500 really wants to be in your face, but it is also great for fat jazzy clean tones on the neck pickup.

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:49 am

nlove002 wrote:Hello! I'm a long time Fender owner looking at getting some G&L's but I have some questions about the stock pickups as I'm unable to play one where I'm at. Currently I have 4 American Standard Strat's and 3 are modified with CS 69 Neck and Middle Pickups and an FS-1 in the bridge while the other has a set of Fat 50's. Generally I like the scooped bell like chime of the CS 69's but I found the stock bridge to be a little to bright and ice picky. I felt the same way (maybe more so) with the stock bridge in the CS Fat 50's set. Anyone with experience with those pickups have a comparison to the Legacy Alnico V's? A usuable bridge pickup is very important to me, and while I could always switch it out, I really would prefer not to. Also, should I consider a S-500? Will the MFD's get me anywhere close to the sound I like? Thanks!

Welcome!

Since this is your first post, please tell us a little more about your self and how you found out about G&L Instruments and our website.
Also, please update your profile and add your location.

Here's a couple of posts to check out: List of pickups used in G&L guitars, July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:52 am

Hello and thanks for the responses! Thanks Craig for the link. The bridge pickup specs seem close to my FS1 however I know specs don't always match what our ears hear so I appreciate the feedback. I've been playing guitar for 20 years and after trying several times to get into Gibsons, Rickenbackers, et al but nothing feels or more importantly sounds right than Strats and Teles. After swapping out most of the electronics in my American Standard strats I was less than impressed with their workmanship on the inside and decided I needed to look into the Legacy, after eyeballing it for several years. I don't think I'm ready to jump into ceramic pups on a Strat style guitar although I'm less attached by the traditional "Tele" sound so an ASAF with the single coil size MFD's may be next on my list.