Re: 15 USA G&L's

Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:10 pm

My first G&L was a Legacy Special. It is still my favorite model out of everything that I own. It's not that I dislike the others. They are fantastic as well. I guess there is only one first love in the guitar world and for me it is the Legacy Special. I found a 3 bolt Cherryburst Legacy Special from 1994 in mint condition and had to purchase it. The neck even has some bird's eye scattered throughout.

Last edited by Challenger on Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:42 am

I recently added a Doheny V12 to the collection. I have been eyeing them since they were first introduced. The old school tobacco finish was very tempting, but I wasn't quite ready to buy one when they first came out. Then, for 2020 they introduced two new colors for the Doheny V12, clear blue and clear red. They even had a clear blue one on display at the NAMM show in January of 2020. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16237&hilit=2020+namm. I really liked the looks of it and figured they would have no problems selling that one.

After a couple months, I kind of dismissed the NAMM show V12 figuring it would have sold at the show and who knows what dealer it went to or who ended up with it. All the while, I kept hearing such good things about the Doheny V12. There were positive reviews on Facebook and great video clips on YouTube. So, around April of 2020 I started putting the Doheny V12 on my radar. There appeared to be very few available or in stock when searching various stores and reverb. There wasn't any used ones on the market either. I only recall one person selling a V12 used and that was to fund a custom shop V12. The V12 owners seem quite happy with them and nothing but positive comments about the V12.

The first week of May, I was checking the factory inventory list and noticed there was a pharaoh gold V12 and clear blue V12. The clear blue one did not have the weight or a picture link and indicated it had a Caribbean rosewood fingerboard. The serial number was already registered on here and listed as a "photo guitar" and having a maple fingerboard by Craig. Could this really be the NAMM guitar? I contacted Kevin Franklin at Guitarworks, a dealer that I've done business with before and inquired about what Doheny V12's he had in stock and asked about CLF1901106 that was listed on the factory inventory sheet. Kevin didn't have any in stock at the moment and checked with G&L regarding the clear blue one. Kevin confirmed that it was the one on display at the NAMM show and had a swamp ash body and maple fingerboard, although it was considered 'B stock' as it had some minor marks and pick scratches from being played and handled. I told Kevin I was still interested and to get me a price.

It was decided that the regular production V12's would have an Okoume body and Caribbean rosewood fingerboard in the clear blue finish. Despite this, G&L did share two V12's in the clear blue with a swamp ash body on their facebook page in March. One went overseas and one went to Cornerstone Music in Florida. Cornerstone listed theirs for sale on Reverb and it sold in less than a day. I wasn't sure how many more of the V12's would be released in swamp ash and clear blue. The one thing I knew was if I was going to buy one in the clear blue finish, it had to be swamp ash to match my other clear blue G&L's. Plus, I thought how cool would it be to have a V12 to match my F-100 that has a maple neck and black crinkle control plate.

Kevin called me back with a price and I quickly agreed to purchase CLF1901106. It took a little over a week for it to arrive at Kevin's shop. He wanted his guitar tech to do a final setup and inspection and put on a fresh set of strings. It finally arrived on my doorstep on May 27th and became my 15th G&L and 5th one with the clear blue finish. I still can't believe that I got this one. I'm surprised it didn't sell to a dealer at the show. I'm thrilled to get a swamp ash body and the maple neck. The spec sheet was missing from the envelope so I've asked Kevin to get me one from G&L. I'm curious on how or why this one was incorrectly listed on their inventory sheet. The box even had CR (Caribbean rosewood) on the bar coded label. So, it won't surprise me if the spec sheet is incorrect as well. Perhaps it started out with a Caribbean rosewood neck and somebody decided to switch it to gloss maple neck for the show? Not sure, maybe Craig will have some insight? In any event, it is gorgeous and it is now mine. I guess this one was just meant to be in my collection.

Update: I finally got a spec sheet sent to me at the end of August. It had Chechen and Okoume listed for the body and fingerboard woods. It also had the current date of August 19, 2020. Based on the serial number and the fact that it was on display in January of 2020, I’m pretty sure mine was built in 2019. I contacted Memo and explained which one I bought and he indicated he would get a corrected spec sheet out to me. I asked if he could look up the completion date and put that on the spec sheet as well. It is always nice to have proper documentation.

Last edited by Challenger on Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:43 pm

beautiful V12, and unique story!
what do the mini switches do? are they similar to the ones on the early F-100's?

Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:15 pm

drjho7 wrote:beautiful V12, and unique story!
what do the mini switches do? are they similar to the ones on the early F-100's?

The V12 has two small three position switches, one for each pickup. Series humbucker, single coil, and parallel humbucker. You can pick any combination for each pickup independently. So, you can have the neck in single coil and the bridge in series humbucker for example.

The F-100 has two small two way switches. One is for humbucker and single coil. The other is for in phase and out of phase.

While the F-100 and V12 look similar with the switches, the functions are different.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:12 am

I 'm really happy this guitar fell into place for you. These have been on my radar since they were released. I just missed out on the one that was being sold to fund a custom shop version. That was the one and only used V12 I have seen anywhere for sale. Sweetwater are the ones that are selling them as fast as they get them in. The Clear Red is calling my name. Only one Canadian dealer that has any G&L stock and the V12 is a special order. With the CAD inching back up maybe I can haggle with them a bit. Or wait till the border opens again. Stay the course and be patient I tell myself....

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:00 am

Bad*ss!! congrats.

(reminds me ever so slightly of "Steve's Dragon" L2000 bass)

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:17 pm

glvourot wrote:I 'm really happy this guitar fell into place for you. These have been on my radar since they were released. I just missed out on the one that was being sold to fund a custom shop version. That was the one and only used V12 I have seen anywhere for sale. Sweetwater are the ones that are selling them as fast as they get them in. The Clear Red is calling my name. Only one Canadian dealer that has any G&L stock and the V12 is a special order. With the CAD inching back up maybe I can haggle with them a bit. Or wait till the border opens again. Stay the course and be patient I tell myself....

The clear red looks really sharp. If I didn't already have a clear blue thing going on, I seriously would have considered the clear red. The clear red looks nice with the Okoume wood also. I've noticed that Sweetwater can't keep them in stock. Whenever they get one in and posted, it is sold almost immediately. They are a newer dealer for G&L and I'm thinking they have already sold about six of the V-12's.

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 pm

Challenger wrote:
glvourot wrote:I 'm really happy this guitar fell into place for you. These have been on my radar since they were released. I just missed out on the one that was being sold to fund a custom shop version. That was the one and only used V12 I have seen anywhere for sale. Sweetwater are the ones that are selling them as fast as they get them in. The Clear Red is calling my name. Only one Canadian dealer that has any G&L stock and the V12 is a special order. With the CAD inching back up maybe I can haggle with them a bit. Or wait till the border opens again. Stay the course and be patient I tell myself....

The clear red looks really sharp. If I didn't already have a clear blue thing going on, I seriously would have considered the clear red. The clear red looks nice with the Okoume wood also. I've noticed that Sweetwater can't keep them in stock. Whenever they get one in and posted, it is sold almost immediately. They are a newer dealer for G&L and I'm thinking they have already sold about six of the V-12's.

I saw an S-500 in clear red with black guard posted on their IG feed. It looked so good, then when I noticed the new colours offered for the V12 that was it. Unfortunately G&L's are non existent in Canada so I will have to be patient . Of course, as a rule there were several available ( pharoah gold and tobacco ) pre covid when I wasn't ready. Now that I have had cash in hand for the last three months.... well . I noticed your blue V12 and even commented on it when that Namm picture was posted but was so enthralled with the new colour that the maple neck did not even register. Play it in good health !

Re: 14 USA G&L's

Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:11 am

That's a sweet collection! Like a lot of others, I'm very enamored by that Cavalier. :happy0065:

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:08 pm

My 2017 Fallouts

Redburst over alder with quilted maple top and caramel ebony fingerboard
Natural satin over one piece East Indian Walnut (Monkeypod) and rosewood fingerboard

I have been eyeing the redburst Fallout for three years. I was able to acquire it recently and add it to the collection.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Beautiful Fallouts ! Patience pays off yet again.

Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Hey Challenger,

Love the quilt top! :thumbup: Glad it didn’t disappear over the three years.

Enjoy!

Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:46 pm

sam wrote:Hey Challenger,

Love the quilt top! :thumbup: Glad it didn’t disappear over the three years.

Enjoy!

It actually did disappear for a few months. The store sold it this summer and I was rather bummed. I regretted not purchasing it new. But, that was a lot of money to shell out for a duplicate model I already had. Anyway, due to COVID, the guy who purchased it was in need of money as his business was closing. So, when it popped up on the used market looking like new, I had to snag it. As it turns out, these Fallouts were built just over a week apart.

Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Chip,
We already know you cannot have enough ASATs. But why wouldn't that be true for Fallouts? ;)

- Jos

Re: 18 USA G&L's

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:05 pm

My CLF Research trio is complete. Last spring I found a Pharaoh Gold Skyhawk used in mint condition for an incredibly low price that I couldn't pass it up. The Skyhawk even had G&L locking tuners installed. That only left the Espada to acquire. In November, my wife went to Indianapolis to see our son play in the marching band Grand Nationals. I stayed home with our younger son as he still had school. When my wife got home she surprised me with an Espada.

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:34 pm

wooh, that's sweet, she has a good eye for guitars, nice burst/tort combo! congrats!

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:49 am

Chip,

Keep her!! Both! ;)

- Jos

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:37 pm

Wow, what a wonderful wife! Both the Skyhawk and Espada are gorgeous. My Espada is natural, but that burst/tortoise combination is stunning. Let us know how you like it (I love the Espada).

Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:26 pm

Well, I made it over a year without buying any guitars. My 2022 year end recap is that I sold one and I bought one. I sold my 1990 ASAT in March of 2022. It was a fantastic guitar, but just wasn't one that called out to me and thus didn't get much playing time. The last guitar that I bought was the CLF Research Skyhawk in May of 2021. My wife surprised me with the CLF Research Espada towards the end of 2021. So, depending on which one you consider as "my" last purchase, it had been over 18 months or over 12 months since a new acquisition.

In December of 2022, I saw an Invader with a monkey pod body, saddle lock bridge and the G&L blade pickups (one of my personal favorites) come up for sale. I was missing my clear forest green invader and thinking I probably shouldn't have sold that one. The listing didn't have much details or the best pictures. However, it was indicated that it was light and resonant with pick marks. The price was reasonable so I ran it by my wife who said "Merry Christmas" and OK'd the purchase. It arrived before Christmas, but I left it unopened until Christmas day. Upon checking it out there was some honest pick scratching marks below the pickups and it was indeed light. I plugged it in to make sure it worked and that was about all the time I had to spend with it as I was getting ready to leave on a trip to London for the New Years Day Parade that my son was performing in.

Now that I'm back, I've had some time to play it and it really does sound great. It only weighs 6 pounds 11 ounces and I was able to touch up the pick scratches a little to make them less noticable. It really does have the best qualities of the Legacy Special and Fallout all rolled into one. My old '97 Invader had the SD pickup and this one has the G&L humbucker. I like the G&L better. Part of the decision to purchase this one was the price and the monkey pod body. The monkey pod wood is now only available through the custom shop at a significant price. It was priced so cheap that there was no way I would lose money if I were to resell. I don't think this one is going to be sold anytime soon, however. So, back up to 18 G&L's in the collection with this 2015 Invader.

2015 Invader

2015 Invader and 2017 Fallout with Monkey Pod (East Indian Walnut) bodies.

Re: 17 USA G&L's

Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:27 pm

I only purchased one guitar in 2023. It was a 2016 Legacy HH with RMC in whiskey over a light weight swamp ash body with matching painted headstock. It was originally sent to Tone Shop guitars in Texas. For some reason it was returned to G&L and they sold it as a B stock guitar in their store. I can't find a single flaw on the guitar and it has exactly what I had been looking for in an alnico HH guitar, aside from the saddle lock bridge. With the addition of the Legacy HH, I put my CLF Research Skyhawk up for sale and sold it to the same person that bought my 1990 ASAT.

Re: 17 USA G&L's

Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:13 pm

Nice one, Chip!

- Jos