proud owner of interceptor bass

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:33 pm

Hi, my name is Chris. I live in the Columbus, Ohio area and have been the proud owner of a G&L Interceptor bass since @1994. It was my 15th year b-day present from my dad who purchased it as a scratch and dent from Bill Foley at German Village Music Haus here in C-bus.

Dad gave the bass a paint job (he's a collision repair guy and first bass player i ever idolized) and although it's a cool color, it suffered from some "chemical blisters" that he did'nt have time to fix! Bubbles or not, I LOVE THIS BASS! Soundguys LOVE this bass! Recording engineers LOVE this bass!

I think it's time to fix the paint job and I'm really hoping to find the INTERCEPTOR BASS headstock decal that has been missing from this bass for so many years. Any leads or info on that would bee amazing!!!

that's about it, although one more really interesting thing about this bass is the shape of the headstock, which has the normal G&L shape minus the "bump" on the bottom side...is that unusual? I've never seen another like it. Dad said it was always like that.

Thanks for reading, hopefully i can make it look as good as it sounds!

Re: proud owner of interceptor bass

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi Chris,
We'd love to see some pics,
There is a couple (guitar)INTERCEPTOR waterslides on ebay,
you might even find another model waterslide that you can cut the BASS from
(much like they would have done it at the factory).
That might allow you to refinsh her without waiting for hen's teeth to grow :D
We also have a marketplace for want ads.

Nice to hear the old G&L's making an impression with engineers :thumbup:

Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris!! It sounds like the headstock was the "Sickle" shapes they used on certain models in the late 80s to very early 90s. Pics of that monster would help us elaborate much easier. Often times, you can find watermarks on Reverb or the bay. As Elwood mentioned, there is a marketplace tab on this forum in which you could post a want ad. There are endless members with connections and knowledge on how to obtain things such as this. Be blessed!! -Adam

Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Welcome Chris! I consider my Interceptor to be the most comfortable G&L bass I've played, and I've played just about every model built by CLF Research or pre-BBE G&L. Here's a previous owner's photo of my Interceptor's sickle headstock with an "eye gouger" or "hook":

There were also basses made with this overall sickle shape, but without the hook.

Ken

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:11 pm

FYI...I see the waterslides on ebay sold last night :(

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:10 pm

trying to get photos uploaded...not having any luck with photobucket, but i'll keep trying. Thanks for all the info though!

Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Where's the problem, Photobucket or this site? If it's this site, are you using the "Img" button when you type your reply?

Ken

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:00 pm

cashby wrote:trying to get photos uploaded...not having any luck with photobucket, but i'll keep trying. Thanks for all the info though!

Once you get your photos onto photobucket, see: Tutorial: Posting photos.
This tutorial has a step by step process, which you should be able to use to get your photos posted.

If you still cannot get them up, PM me with a link to your photobucket album and I will help you get them posted.

:ugeek:

Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 pm

The other night I was trying to explain to my 13 y/o son (a saxophone player :roll: ) about different bass models. He did play upright for a year in the elementary school band, so he has some idea of how to play electric bass. The Interceptor was the 5th or 6th bass I handed to him. After holding it for a couple of seconds he looked up at me an said "this one just feels right".

Ken