Hi all

Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:50 am

I am the original owner of a beautiful clear blue, ebony (I think- I always assumed rosewood 'till finding this site with its trove of info!) fretboard L-1000. I purchased in RI or CT in '80 or '81 (honestly can't remember where/when, but I could figure it out with some thought). G&L was new enough that my trip to that music store was first I'd ever heard of 'em. I'd been guitarist in an original band in Providence and never been a bass player until circumstances led to my replacing our bass player. As a guitarist, I'd been a Gibson guy ('71 cherry sunburst SG as a beginner, then '72 goldtop deluxe from high school on) but I had a Music Man amp, so I already liked the idea of post Fender Fender's.

Now that I've had it for over 35 years, and I've played various (and sometimes amazing and/or expensive vintage) P-basses, Jazzes, Alembics, (and of course having lived through the rest of that decade, Aria Pro II, Ibenez, etc.) and others: I say with free and clear conscience that it is my favorite bass in terms of playing (feel, comfort, speed, FUN) and in sound. I might be biased since it is mine and I'm attached to it and it is that beautiful clear blue. But it is a gem!
I still have the Ashly SC-40 I used back in the day, plus a surprisingly fun Bassman 10 (the earlier, lower powered version) and the GnL sounds great no matter what it feeds.

Found this forum researching an (identically finished/appointed) F-100 and am very happy to be a member! I promise I will post L-1000 ser num and other info.

I will post my questions about F-100 in the general discussion, but thought I should just say hi.

Randy

Re: Hi all

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:17 am

Welcome Randy! There are knowledgeable and helpful people here. Enjoy your stay here.

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:25 am

welcome and glad you got on board with us !!

Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:38 am

Nice to have you here Randy,
Those 80's clear blue G&L's always catch my eye. Hope to see some pics.
Nice testament to the Leo-era instruments standing the test of time.
`elwood

Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:29 pm

Welcome, Randy! :greet:

Please do post some photos of your L-1000 and add it to our G&L Registry.

Looking forward to seeing your bass. :searching:

:ugeek:

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:10 pm

I stand by my assertion that this is the best guitar forum on the internet. There are some very knowledgeable members here. Welcome, and post often !