Hello there (G&L newbie)

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:20 pm

I've recently made the jump to "real" guitars with a Hamer T51 Tele....absolutely amazing instrument. Up to this point I've been playing MIK Squiers from 1987 (Young Chang) E7/E10 stuff, really cool guitars. I've started looking a G&L's and like the story behind the brand and, more importantly like the Hamer, are sort of underground unknown from the mainstream brands. I just did two stops looking at amps for sale on CL...both gents been playing forever, very experienced....neither had heard of G&L! I'd like a Legacy. I wanted to run one that's on CL now in a pawn shop, has the 3 bolt neck so I'm assuming it's an older model, not sure if those are lance sensors, gent I spoke to knows nothing about it except it works. Any input on what you folks think will be helpful. Many thanks and Happy New Year!

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/msg/5352497535.html

Re: Hello there (G&L newbie)

Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:48 pm

The guitar looks inviting, and the price is in the ball park if it's in really good condition.
Maybe a little high since it's not stock, but pickups can be changed.
I have EMGs in my maple neck Skyhawk and really like the result.

Be aware that they can be addictive :D
happy hunting!

Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:08 pm

600.00 looks like a good deal to me ...... theres a good chance that will have locking tuners too

Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:42 pm

If you like the playability and are satisfied with the condition as describe, offer 'em five -- say the pickups aren't original and you don't like the way they sound and it's going to cost you to get the guitar back to factory orginal -- and see what happens; good luck!

Also, post a pic of your T-51; always wanted to try one of those!

Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:44 am

The question with the installed EMGs is .. where is the battery located. It's under the pickguard somewhere, and when it runs out that will need to be removed to replace it.

To go back to non actives would mean replacing not only the pickups but all of the pots and output jack as well.

I have EMGs myself in a couple of guitars, an older ESP S800 and a Musicman Luke II and I like them a lot, but you may find that they are not your thing at all. I would suggest trying the guitar with an amp that you know before you purchase.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:46 am

good points Southpaw!

( FWIW, I invert my jack plate and can fit the battery beneath.)

Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:58 am

Hi jztampa,

Welcome and I add to what the others said, this could be a worthwhile purchase. If you go for it post more pics and give update on any changes.

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:17 am

Very cool stuff folks...thank you very much! She's 2hrs away but, I'll heading down that way in a couple of weeks. Thanks Southpaw on filling me in on pickups...haven't owned anything with emg's before. I do prefer Blues tones and did read that they may work as far as that's concerned. Will definitely take my amp to test...good idea! If it could be had for $500, it may be a pretty nice score!

Will be taking pics of the T-51 soon! GC seems to have a few nice ones I could trade up for......hoping my stuff goes before going that route. Thanks again!

Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:53 am

the only guitar I have with EMG's is in a 1986 Rampage with volume control only and it's powerful and treblely , I used to have to set up the amp totally different for that guitar like take treble and mid's way down , now I run a MXR 10 band in front of the amp with this guitar and leave the amp alone so I don't have to change the amp back over when I switch guitars , plus the MXR can take out gain for better cleans with the EMG if I want to use it for a whole gig

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:30 am

Welcome!! She looks like a sweet grab and priced with room to maneuver :)

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:26 pm

There's quite a few posts comparing the tribute and USA lines. I'm curious if you folks that have played various models of the Legacy give me your views comparing the older 3-bolt models to the 4-bolt more modern line. I assume they're supposed to get better with time but, is the vibe of a nineties 3-bolt worth pursuing ? I did see pictures comparing them and the 3-bolt body has a deeper cut w slimmer body? I'm talking USA models....stock.

Are the stained/aged look modern necks sticky or does it have a light gloss feel to it? Looked for one around here but all the Legacy's are new w rosewood or clear maple. No used Legacy's to be found.......Thanks again!

These two got me thinking:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/GL/Leg ... 1476636.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/GL/Leg ... 1311473.gc

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:44 am

I ended up getting an 82-83 S-500 from a gent that bought it in 90. It's not mint at all, no case (although I did get a period correct one on eBay), but, she sounds fantastic. Mahogany body, tremendous tone, a feel that's hard to describe. I'm posting a link to my photo bucket, hopefully it works. I'll be selling my T-51 because I just love this guitar. Thanks to KenC for his advice!

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/turboza ... t=2&page=1

On different note, I just bought a Broadcaster through GC Used earlier this week. Will be posting pics next week. Maple neck, does not have bullet Trod, and Ken said you guys can advise me on it. Thanks for everything!
Johnny

Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:26 pm

Hey Johnny,

An old school S-500 and a Broadcaster in short time, you are on a ROLL! A little character mark adds to it especially when it sounds like hits all the marks for you. Post pics of the Broadcaster when it arrives. :thumbup: