What is this finish?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:18 pm

I bought this back in '92. It wasn't what I'd originally asked for but Ted Brown Music showed it to me and I loved it far more than the options I chose.
I registered this guitar on the old site years ago but I never found out what this color option is called. It has a burst and a subtle metal flake sparkle that's hard to capture in pics. What is this finish called? -

Re: What is this finish?

Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:42 pm

I almost forgot to mention, I picked up a couple of necks for $30 from the G&L store! My template slipped a little bit when routing the neck pocket enough to make the neck I made not fit as tight as I'd like it to but these necks made up the difference after evening the pocket (they're about 1mm wider at the heel than my necks). Now I have a neck that feels even better than my old G&L after a fret level, crown and high polish. I oiled the neck and lacquered the headstock over a burst to match the body. $30 each! I can barely get a truss rod shipped to me for that let alone an entire neck. Thanks G&L!

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:34 am

CAR aka Candy Apple Red would be my guess.

- Jos

Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Psychedelic wrote:I bought this back in '92. It wasn't what I'd originally asked for but Ted Brown Music showed it to me and I loved it far more than the options I chose.
I registered this guitar on the old site years ago but I never found out what this color option is called. It has a burst and a subtle metal flake sparkle that's hard to capture in pics. What is this finish called? -

The color is likely to be Sparkle Red. Here's the color chart from the 1993-94 G&L catalog.
The 1992 Catalog does not have a color chart, but Sparkle Red is listed.
Here is a photo of an SB-2 with Sparkle Red finish, shown in both catalogs. Note that it does have a bit of darker red burst on the edges.
Image.

Many years ago, I asked Dave McLaren about this color and if it was bursted and he did say it was. I checked the G&L Registry and found
an S-500 Signature model registered with Sparkle Redburst (which is the same as Sparkle Red) with a serial number of G030253 and it is
listed as having a Sparkle Redburst finish. Could this be the same one you registered in the past, and perhaps misread the serial number's
last digit as a 3 instead of a 5? Anyway, please check the Registry entry and let me know if this is your guitar.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:47 pm

what a beautiful instrument !!

Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks, Craig. The S.N. ending in 253 was indeed mine and I now see I mistakenly entered it wrong. Can it be changed?
I still have the tag that was on it as well. Sorry, photobucket is not letting me rotate the first photo.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:59 pm

Psychedelic wrote:Thanks, Craig. The S.N. ending in 253 was indeed mine and I now see I mistakenly entered it wrong. Can it be changed?
I still have the tag that was on it as well. Sorry, photobucket is not letting me rotate the first photo.

I have taken care of the serial number change and changed the body color to Sparkle Red. I also changed the few other Sparkle Redburst entries to Sparkle Red
and removed Sparkle Redburst from the selection list.

I also agree with Fumble fingers, it is a beautiful instrument. :thumbup:

:ugeek:

Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Thank you for resolving and answering my questions so quickly.
This was my first big purchase at the age of 18 back in '92. I think I paid around $900. I have the receipt around somewhere.
Embarrassingly, I asked for candy apple red, black hardware and a rosewood neck but got this one. Thank goodness I got this instead!