Hello (edited post - photo link should be fixed now)

Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Hello from Martin in NW CT,

In the early 90s, my then girlfriend, now wife gave me a very sweet sounding ASAT bass. I received many compliments over the years regarding the tones and output it offered. It was an audio dream come true over the more primitive basses I had played previously.

In recent years I had to sell it due to the financial situations associated in part with employment opportunities to those over 50 years of age in the US workforce.

Anywho, today I bought it back in the same condition I sold it. Today was a very very good day indeed.

I am not exactly sure what the body wood is. I am leaning toward Maple, but ask you review the photos in the link below and let me know what you think.

I think the neck is also maple. The fretboard is almost surely Rosewood, but I forgot to add a photo of that. Oops.

Thanks

Link should be fixed now (I hope)
https://goo.gl/photos/F5fnewUv55VjA6sPA

More intro stuff.

Born in 1957. Father of three daughters ages 30, 32 and 33. Happily married to a wonderful woman ( see also - bass gift paragraph one :thumbup: ) Former business owner, now a super in a housing project. Amp - an early 90s SWR Redhead which I also am very fond of, despite the weight vs. more modern means of amplification. I have a box full of late 80s effects boxes made for bass acquired when I bought a fretless years ago during my I wanna be Jaco phase. Sold the fretless as I didn't have the time to develop the chops for it what with raising kids, work, etc. As much as I use is the tuner box and the compressor from time to time to even out the audio output. I have no problem with folks using effects, I just never delved into it too far. I suppose I should put the boxes into the winds of ebay, but on the other hand it costs nothing to keep them.

I've played in assorted bar bands and the like over the years with set lists of old school R&B, Blues, Bossa Nova, old Country, 50s through 70s rock, and along those lines. I suppose I'd place my skill set at somewhere around an intermediate level player, although that is a fairly generalized term.

I very much enjoy the wide and varied instructional content available today via the internet. I don't think there has been a better time to learn an instrument than in these modern times. And so - I am off to brush up on and improve my chops, and get back out where I want to be now that I have more time to get there - playing live.

Thanks for your time,

Martin
Last edited by Bucky on Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hello (edited post - photo link should be fixed now)

Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:48 am

Bucky wrote:Hello from Martin in NW CT,

In the early 90s, my then girlfriend, now wife gave me a very sweet sounding ASAT bass. I received many compliments over the years regarding the tones and output it offered. It was an audio dream come true over the more primitive basses I had played previously.

In recent years I had to sell it due to the financial situations associated in part with employment opportunities to those over 50 years of age in the US workforce.

Anywho, today I bought it back in the same condition I sold it. Today was a very very good day indeed.

I am not exactly sure what the body wood is. I am leaning toward Maple, but ask you review the photos in the link below and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Link should be fixed now (I hope)

Welcome! :greet:

The body wood is Swamp Ash on your ASAT Signature Bass.
Don't forget to add this to our G&L Registry.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:41 am

Cool story and similar to a lot of us on here !! .... dig the Bass :thumbup:

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks for the posts. My reg entry is up and working.

I pushed up a few more photos to the link above, and I'm open to any and all info offered as I rediscover this jewel of a bass.

One question - GGJaguar lists two ASAT Signature basses. He describes both as two piece bodies. Mine, as shown at

is a three piece body. Wonder what if anything, that's about.

FWIW - the scotch tape used as insulation over the solder joint is, to the best of my memory - factory. I suppose I could have used said tape in a pinch to get to a gig? man, I sure don't remember that. I know better, but... who knows? Not an earth shatterer discovery, but a curious one to be sure.
See photos for illustration. I intend to change that to either heat shrink or at the least, some Scotch 33+ electrical tape. 8-)

Thanks

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:52 pm

What a gorgeous low-ender! And a Sig to boot. I wouldn't worry too much about how many pieces are used for the body; 2-piece and 3-piece bodies are par for the course although 2-piece bodies are less common. One would need larger pieces of wood to do the book matching.

Have fun playing that beauty!

- Jos