Hello and help

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:54 pm

Hello G&LDP,

I am a relatively new owner of a G&L tribute. It was the first guitar I've played in a long time that felt great and wasn't over $3k, so I picked it up to have 2 single coil guitars.

As for me, I've been playing since '84 and playing out in bands since '90.

My reason for joining the discussion page was an attempt to fix the crackling sounds I've been getting from the guitar. I got the guitar in September and after just a few gigs, I noticed the crackling. When I traded out for my other guitar, it was gone. I just tested it out again at home and the problem was definitely the guitar, and while I've read about using a dryer sheet as the fix, this would seem to be only a temporary fix. My '89 strat plus has never crackled. It has the gold lace sensors.

Of course, when I took the G&L back to GC, I couldn't replicate the crackling in the store. I just recorded it on my phone and will be taking it back in, but I appreciate any ideas, suggestions, etc.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Re: Hello and help

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:58 pm

I should add that it's not crackling pots. The crackling occurs when I have everything dimed (and not dimed too) and am just strumming. And it happens in all pick up positions.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Hey harvrocks, welcome. I had the same problem with a tribute legacy. The problem was static electricity on the plastic pickguard. Occurs mostly on dry low humidity days. Not much on rainy humid days. Improves with dryer sheet but i didn't like this approach. Improves with applying a small amt of water to pickguard with fingers. Best to check your grounds (remove pickguard carefully) and make sure they are connected. Some have suggested (and i have tried) applying aluminum tape to the underside of the pickguard ( there is a post about this). I tried this and had a partial improvement, doesn't occur as often. Still a problem on really dry days. Had minimal similar problem with a tribute asat special. None with comanche. Never had this with other brand guitars. Must be a better way to ground or shield this, there are others on this forum with electrical smarts, probably they will comment. good luck

Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:43 am

see this post: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10791&p=76049&hilit=crackling+pickguard#p76049

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Thank you. I'll take a look at the link next. Greatly appreciated.