Question From A New Member

Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:55 am

Greetings: New member of this cool forum. As the owner of a new Legacy (mahagony body, maple top, wood bonding, locking tuners, bridge humbucker etc) but also as a long time player of Telecasters and 335's I have an embarrasing question. Do you Legacy owners pop the tremolo arm off every time you put it in the case? Thanks in advance.

Re: Question From A New Member

Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:09 am

Yes, the friction fit makes it easy and quick.
..and Welcome!
:)

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:37 am

What Elwood says! Taking the arm of is a breeze.

- Jos

Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:29 am

Thank you both for your replies. I just got this guitar yesterday and my impressions, for what it's worth are that it is quite beautiful, plays very nicely (even though it needs set up work) and the two single coil pickups sound really good. Conversely, while I love the feel of the trem I am alarmed at how badly the strings (D and G in particular) get caught up in the graphite nut, even with very subtle use, and go out of tune. Has this been an issue for any of you? I also am disappointed in the Duncan JB bridge humbucker. I was expecting to have to replace it anyway so it's not that big a deal. I will tinker with it but I am not hopeful as I prefer something a bit more touch sensitive and less brash, for lack of a better word. I know it's regarded as a classic but it's not my cup of tea. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I expect I will settle on something with a substantially lower DC resistance reading (appx 8.0 K >). All in all, I still think it's a keeper and that I can resolve my concerns.

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:18 am

I didn't care for the SD JB until I heard it in the mix with the Band , playing by myself is just blah .... once I heard it in the mix I liked it ..... I get the not my cup of tea though , never had any trouble out of my DF guitars

Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:34 am

azul deluxe wrote:Thank you both for your replies. I just got this guitar yesterday and my impressions, for what it's worth are that it is quite beautiful, plays very nicely (even though it needs set up work) and the two single coil pickups sound really good. Conversely, while I love the feel of the trem I am alarmed at how badly the strings (D and G in particular) get caught up in the graphite nut, even with very subtle use, and go out of tune. Has this been an issue for any of you? I also am disappointed in the Duncan JB bridge humbucker. I was expecting to have to replace it anyway so it's not that big a deal. I will tinker with it but I am not hopeful as I prefer something a bit more touch sensitive and less brash, for lack of a better word. I know it's regarded as a classic but it's not my cup of tea. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I expect I will settle on something with a substantially lower DC resistance reading (appx 8.0 K >). All in all, I still think it's a keeper and that I can resolve my concerns.

Welcome! :greet:

It sounds like you got a Legacy Deluxe, is it NOS or a recent build?
Photos are a must, please see this post for details on posting photos: Welcome! Read This First.

It does sound like your guitar needs a good setup, here are a couple of posts from our G&L Knowledgebase,
G&L Technical Questions & Tips sub-forum, which might help:
String alignment issues and a simple cure
Current Factory setup for G&L guitars with vibrato bridges

Also, don't forget to add your guitar to our G&L Registry, too.

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:29 am

azul deluxe wrote:Thank you both for your replies. I just got this guitar yesterday and my impressions, for what it's worth are that it is quite beautiful, plays very nicely (even though it needs set up work) and the two single coil pickups sound really good. Conversely, while I love the feel of the trem I am alarmed at how badly the strings (D and G in particular) get caught up in the graphite nut, even with very subtle use, and go out of tune. Has this been an issue for any of you? I also am disappointed in the Duncan JB bridge humbucker. I was expecting to have to replace it anyway so it's not that big a deal. I will tinker with it but I am not hopeful as I prefer something a bit more touch sensitive and less brash, for lack of a better word. I know it's regarded as a classic but it's not my cup of tea. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I expect I will settle on something with a substantially lower DC resistance reading (appx 8.0 K >). All in all, I still think it's a keeper and that I can resolve my concerns.

no tuning problems with my '14 legacy special. i don't use the vibrato very much and blocked the bridge for down movement only. i swapped the jb in my fallout for a wolftone marshallhead and am very pleased with the results. the jb was harsh and too crunchy for my needs.