Hello from Devon, UK. My second bite at the ASAT cake !

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:31 am

Hi all, just reintroducing to the forum.

I hung out here a bit a while ago when I had my first ASAT, a late 80’s natural ash, maple necked one with black hardware, serial number G024712. Well, that got sold onwards a few years back and headed London way, but I have now acquired another ASAT.

My new one is an ASAT S3, in Belair Green with maple neck, three MFD pickups, sperzel tuners, serial number CLF19110. Body date is June 22nd 2000, and neck date is 10th July 2000. I will put up some pictures when I can.

It needed a good strip down, clean, service and setup which was all within my abilities and all was fundamentally well apart from the seemingly inevitable loose jack socket of that peculiar switchcraft barrel variety which I will get changed out by my local luthier. G&L's really seem to be solidly well made and it seems a very robust, characterful guitar, with a related but different tonal palette to my familiar Fenders.

Very much enjoying the ‘breadth and clarity of these MFDs again and with the added out of phase tones from having three pickups, there’s a kind of Strat character available but firmer, fuller, bigger. I have the pickups set quite low for now as they seem quite hot, but I may experiment further. Sounding very nice through my Victory V40 amp. Interesting neck profile, quite ‘fat’ but sits very comfortable in the hand, I’m getting used to the quite chunky frets.

Anyhow, I will take some pictures, and also submit to the registry, though I am having some access problems there regarding password conflict with my previous account on my same email address which I cannot seem to access any more .. hope to resolve that :)

Best wishes

Dave

Re: Hello from Devon, UK. My second bite at the ASAT cake !

Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Welcome back Dave! Have fun with the S3 and I look forward to pics.

- Jos

Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Thanks Jos .. by the way your webpages were ‘extremely’ informative during the buying process, regarding what was an S3, what was a Trinity etc …. information on the S3 seems very scarce !

I can’t keep my hands off this guitar, the neck is highly addictive … :)

Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:11 pm

Welcome! :greet:
Photos are a must --- tt does not exist without photos. ;)

:ugeek:

Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:51 am

It exists :)

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/main.php?g2_itemId=15175

I think I placed it in the gallery OK, though Bel Air Green is hard to photograph, it came out more duck egg blue in the images, it's greener than that !

cheers

Dave