Long-time fan, recent first-time owner!

Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Hello all!

Been wanting a G&L ever since my guitar teacher got one back in 1991. His was an ASAT Special with the big-old MFD single coils.

I recently traded with a good friend and now I am the proud owner of a sweet ASAT Classic. I will be posting shortly in the "1992 and Later" forum asking for some help identifying the finish color, etc. Pretty sure this is a 1996 based on serial. But there's a pic posted below.

Glad to be aboard. Seems like a really nice forum. :D

Re: Long-time fan, recent first-time owner!

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Hey effdub,

Welcome and that is a superb looking ASAT ya got there! :happy0065: Be sure to get her registered and come round often and tell us about yourself and how yer ASAT sounds.

Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks, Sam!

I just posted a thread on this guitar:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12662

Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:25 pm

Welcome to the forum. Great ASAT man. Having a ASAT is one of the best things you can do for yourself. It will make you popular with the ladies and improve your over all health. The intonation looks a little funny on it. Have you strapped it to a strobe tuner yet?

Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Looks like "honeyburst" finish to me. But as many folks here will attest, I am a moron. - ed

Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:53 am

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

JimmyJames wrote:The intonation looks a little funny on it. Have you strapped it to a strobe tuner yet?

Haven't checked it with test equipment yet, but it *sounds* good. If it sounds good, I don't mess with it.

Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:09 pm

effdub wrote:Thanks for the welcome, guys!

JimmyJames wrote:The intonation looks a little funny on it. Have you strapped it to a strobe tuner yet?

Haven't checked it with test equipment yet, but it *sounds* good. If it sounds good, I don't mess with it.

fair enough brother

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:03 pm

That's a beauty! Color looks similar to the one I just got. No wonder I like it, ha!

Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:14 pm

effdub wrote:Thanks for the welcome, guys!

just install your clip-on tuner and make sure each string has " the same tune " open and on the 12th fret for intonation , you adjust it with the saddle by moving closer to the bridge or closer neck until each string is the in same tune open and 12th fret , only takes a few minutes to tune it in yourself ....... the same with saddle height , I just measure from the bottom of string to the top of fret and make them equal and not too low ,...... for string height slightly loosen the two top screws and the bottom screw of the three bolt neck , insert the correct size allen wrench in the access hole and adjust neck angle to achieve the string height you like then snug up the neck screws ...... those three bolt G&L necks are sweet and easy to adjust

Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:18 pm

zapcosongs wrote:Looks like "honeyburst" finish to me. But as many folks here will attest, I am a moron. - ed

+1. Or is that +2? :happy0007:

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:57 am

Gorgeous in the simplicity of its subtly complementary variations on an overall shade, congrats and enjoy!

Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:15 pm

KenC wrote:
zapcosongs wrote:Looks like "honeyburst" finish to me. But as many folks here will attest, I am a moron. - ed

+1. Or is that +2? :happy0007:

I think G&L calls it a "Honeyburst". Much differnt than Gibson. On Gibson, the Honeyburst goes from yellow to dark yellow. On G&L it goes from yellow to light orange. I might be totally wrong though as well. I call my Bluesboy Honeyburst. But if this is not right I would like to know. My finish is the same as the original poster.

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:09 pm

Welcome ! Glad to have you aboard !

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Welcome! And you're right about the forum, lots of good people here.

Classics are great instruments. If you could have only one guitar, that would a brilliant choice.
Yours is very nice-looking too. :thumbup:

P.S. you may start to find your tone control is more useful than on other guitars that you remember... great electronics.

Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Beautiful ASAT Classic! Welcome to the forum!