New guy from with my first G&L

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:08 pm

Hello all. I am very new to G&L guitars played my first one just a few months ago and since have been pretty much drooling over them. My boss at work got one the other day and I fell in love instantly with it and yesterday he told me to go play because he had tweaked the set up a bit and wanted to see how I liked it. Well I didn't like the tweak but he told me to deal with because it was MINE now. He gave me this guitar.

I don't know a ton about it. It's an Invader from around 2005 going off the serial number guide on here. From what he was told from the previous owner it was a supposedly a NAMM special with a redwood top mahogany body and ebony board. Right know the hardware is a little mismatching. The previous owner was going to switch everything over to chrome but only ever got the floyd changed out. I'm going to get a black one and put it back to all black.

It does have an issue. The locking nut moves a bit with heavy floyd use. It doesn't effect playability and as far as tuning goes its extremely stable but I do want to get that fixed if possible I will look into sending it to G&L for that if possible. The original owner said it has done that ever since he bought it. Not sure why he never got it fixed. Anyway here is what most of you look at these posts for anyway. PICTURES!! Now hopefully I do it right.

Re: New guy from with my first G&L

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:48 pm

Nice Invader !

Have you tried turning the lock nut clamps 180 degrees ? They may be inserted the wrong way round, just a thought.

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:27 pm

sweet Invader !!

Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:42 pm

+1 - it is a sweet Invader XL. :thumbup:

BTW, I don't think the top is Redwood. It looks to me like a Quilted Maple top.

I also agree with SouthpawGuy's suggestion. It has worked for others.

Please do add this Invader XL to our G&L Registry.

Welcome! :wave:

:ugeek:

Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:35 pm

We went back and forth on the top I agree with you that it is probably a quilted maple top. We have tried the nut and locking pads all kinds of different ways. The enire nut moves when the floyd is pressed down. I did see 1 trick that I haven't tried yet. Some people have said the screws through the pads could be too long and making the nut pivot on it. So I will try that as soon as I get the chance.