I am new to this board, but not to G&L

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:59 am

Hi all,
I am new to this board, but not to G&L as I have been a happy owner of Asat Classic for about 15 years.
It has a Twang King in the bridge and the stock G&L in the neck. This thread hit home as I am in the market for a strat style guitar and have been looking at the Reverb.com offers over the last few days. Initially I was looking for a Jeff Beck model strat but decided to branch out my search and as I love my Asat I naturally looked to G&L first. But I don't know too much about other G&L models. Could anyone suggest which G&L models and years would have comparable capabilities to the JB Strat? It is obviously between the Legacy and S-500. I want to be able to use the trem similar to the way Beck does, and have some stability. I have read the G&L trem is a better unit than Fenders 2 point trem. Also want to be able to get the typical strat-type quack, etc. Not too concerned with electronics as that can be changed if need be ( or I could really dig the G&L electronics). Thanks for any suggestions. Will have a pic up for my Asat soon!

Re: I am new to this board, but not to G&L

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:05 am

Dave J wrote:Hi all,
I am new to this board, but not to G&L as I have been a happy owner of Asat Classic for about 15 years.
It has a Twang King in the bridge and the stock G&L in the neck. This thread hit home as I am in the market for a strat style guitar and have been looking at the Reverb.com offers over the last few days. Initially I was looking for a Jeff Beck model strat but decided to branch out my search and as I love my Asat I naturally looked to G&L first. But I don't know too much about other G&L models. Could anyone suggest which G&L models and years would have comparable capabilities to the JB Strat? It is obviously between the Legacy and S-500. I want to be able to use the trem similar to the way Beck does, and have some stability. I have read the G&L trem is a better unit than Fenders 2 point trem. Also want to be able to get the typical strat-type quack, etc. Not too concerned with electronics as that can be changed if need be ( or I could really dig the G&L electronics). Thanks for any suggestions. Will have a pic up for my Asat soon!

I have Legacy, S500 and also Legacy Special models. If your primary goal is quack the Legacy stock with the CLF100 pickups will do that just fine. The S500 and Legacy Special have more powerful pickups with corresponding less quack.

For what it's worth I also have a Legacy that has been modded with hum free DiMarzio Area pickups, and that guitar out quacks the stock Legacy.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:18 am

First off, I love your pic of your little pup!
Thanks for your response. I do want to keep the quack as this will replace a hard tail strat I am planning
to sell to bank roll this purchase. My next - and last I hope - two questions are these. Does the Dual Fulcrum trem have the ability to pull up like the 2 point Fender trem ? ( based on a good setup to do so of course) And if I run across an S-500 that I really like are the MFD pups a standard fit that can be swapped with other strat pups? Thanks !

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:48 am

Dave J wrote: Does the Dual Fulcrum trem have the ability to pull up like the 2 point Fender trem ? ( based on a good setup to do so of course) And if I run across an S-500 that I really like are the MFD pups a standard fit that can be swapped with other strat pups?

Yes, and yes :thumbup:

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:28 am

Elwood wrote:
Dave J wrote: Does the Dual Fulcrum trem have the ability to pull up like the 2 point Fender trem ? ( based on a good setup to do so of course)

Yes :thumbup:

yep ,even right out of the box with out a set up :evilgrin:

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:58 am

Dave J wrote:First off, I love your pic of your little pup!
Thanks for your response. I do want to keep the quack as this will replace a hard tail strat I am planning
to sell to bank roll this purchase. My next - and last I hope - two questions are these. Does the Dual Fulcrum trem have the ability to pull up like the 2 point Fender trem ? ( based on a good setup to do so of course) And if I run across an S-500 that I really like are the MFD pups a standard fit that can be swapped with other strat pups? Thanks !

Thanks, dogs are great :thumbup:

I have two Legacys modded with DiMarzios, one with Areas and the other with Injectors. Both were drop in replacements, although someone who actually can solder did the job, not myself. The PTB controls were retained with both.

As far as I'm aware there is an extra capacitor in the S500 circuit that might need to be removed if pickups other than MFDs were installed.

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks for the responses! Dogs are great. I think I am closing in on a couple of Legacy's. I am thinking
about swapping tuners for staggered locking - even if the one I get has locking - and adding a Tusq XL nut but am wondering if either would make a difference. I think most Legacy's come with bone nut? I've read the Tusq is more consistent and impregnated with Teflon. If I don't get one with locking tuners I'd want to at least upgrade to locking, but would staggered and locking be an improvement? Thanks as always for any opinion!