Hi from 4 corners

Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi guys, currently I don't own any guitar, but that will change hopefully soon. I tried a few G&L's and I'm very impressed, (except one US made Legacy that sounds really dull and doesn't feel well either). I haven't played any of the two contenders but I think I'll either get a ASAT Special Tribute or Fallout tribute. What are your thoughts?

Re: Hi from 4 corners

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Tomas83. I presume you are a guitarist.
Both guitars you mention are excellent choices, but they are a bit different, so depends what you're looking for. You can see the cosmetic differences. The pickups on the asat special are both single coil "mfd" pickups. They have a broad tonal range and retain individual string definition, not muddy. They are higher output than fender single coils, they will overdrive a tube amp better, but they still perform like single coils. Personally, i love their tone.
The pup's on the fallout are different: a humbucker at the bridge, double coil, thicker sound, a little higher output, more midrangy, and the P-90 at the neck, single coil, not as bright as a fender pup, not as broad tonal range as an mfd single coil. There may be some mis-match in the output levels when playing both pups together. I do not have a fallout, so can't comment further on that.
Would check out demo videos on each guitar on youtube, and of course, look at the G&L site for specs.
I'm sure others will chime in. good luck!

Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:17 pm

Thanks, I should have mentioned that in my first post. I'm playing guitar for almost 18 years just the last two I didn't had a guitar. I came a long way since my first guitar and I owned very different guitars, mostly humbucker equipped. Only about a year or so have I even thought about a Strat type guitar and that brought me to G&L. I had my hands on Superhawk, S500, Bluesboy, ASAT Classic and Fiorano GTS from Leo's last creations. I'm a big mahogany fan and I lean more towards single coils and generally low output pickups. I play mostly my own music and I'm after a guitar with excellent clean tones and likewise great distorted tones capable of heavy music. I wish I could afford a custom G&L that would for sure be all mahogany including the neck with ebony fretboard. (I like Gibsons too but I need at least 25.5 scale)

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:06 am

the trib asat special with tobacco sunburst finish has a mahogany body!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:19 am

drjho7 wrote:the trib asat special with tobacco sunburst finish has a mahogany body!

Oh yes that's way I'm thinking about it. Unfortunately I haven't tried those jumbo MFD's yet. And I wish they would make a mahogany neck on those, or any G&L's

Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:45 pm

Check out this review by Nick. Covers a lot of territory on the ASAT Trib in mahogany, like the one in my avatar. ;) Great guitar. If you end up with one, do the 4-way switch mod. It is easy to do and expands your tonal palette 25%! :clap:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 118&t=8993

Welcome!

Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:45 pm

fianoman wrote:Check out this review by Nick. Covers a lot of territory on the ASAT Trib in mahogany, like the one in my avatar. ;) Great guitar. If you end up with one, do the 4-way switch mod. It is easy to do and expands your tonal palette 25%! :clap:

http://guitarsbyleo.com/FORUM/viewtopic ... 118&t=8993

Welcome!

Hello and thanks :D it actually was Nick's video that led me to Asat Special in the first place. Tell me more about that 4 way switch please. Fallout seems like a very versatile guitar and I'm planning on keeping one electric guitar to cover all the ground and styles and maybe one acoustic.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:07 am

I can't take the credit on this one, my buds here on the forum showed me the light. :BadIdea:

It basically gives you the regular 3 positions and adds a fourth with the pickups in serial, giving you a fat humbucker sound. All are very usable and versatile and I honestly couldn't tell you my favorite. :thumbup:

Here is one schematic from the forum here that Gabe did.

http://www.guitarsbyleo.com/GALLERY2/ma ... temId=8213

And here is one switch that comes with instructions.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Elec ... witch.html

IMHO, this should be standard issue on all 2 single coil guitars. :BangBang:

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:20 am

fianoman wrote:I can't take the credit on this one, my buds here on the forum showed me the light. :BadIdea:

It basically gives you the regular 3 positions and adds a fourth with the pickups in serial, giving you a fat humbucker sound. All are very usable and versatile and I honestly couldn't tell you my favorite. :thumbup:

Wow thanks a lot! You are right that should be a standard issue on all guitars. Flanoman do you have any YouTube videos or something where I could hear your Special? :?

Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:49 pm

Sorry, don't get much time to play these days. Nick's video is pretty close to what I hear. It's not as twangy as a regular T-type, a bit mellower. This guy has the switch installed on a regular T. Check out the end where he is soloing a bit with overdrive. The ASAT Special will have that in spades. The jumbo MFDs have some girth and don't be afraid to use the volume and tone. Lots of options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI4xTjfShSk

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:20 pm

I have the fallout tribute and really like it. I seriously considered an ASAT as well but I got a good deal on the Fallout so it was a purchase of opportunity even though I wanted one. ASAT is still on the list.

Good luck and you should like either one.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:30 pm

fianoman wrote:Sorry, don't get much time to play these days. Nick's video is pretty close to what I hear. It's not as twangy as a regular T-type, a bit mellower. This guy has the switch installed on a regular T. Check out the end where he is soloing a bit with overdrive. The ASAT Special will have that in spades. The jumbo MFDs have some girth and don't be afraid to use the volume and tone. Lots of options.

I like that feature. Thanks for sharing.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:39 pm

fianoman wrote:Sorry, don't get much time to play these days. Nick's video is pretty close to what I hear. It's not as twangy as a regular T-type, a bit mellower. This guy has the switch installed on a regular T. Check out the end where he is soloing a bit with overdrive. The ASAT Special will have that in spades. The jumbo MFDs have some girth and don't be afraid to use the volume and tone. Lots of options.

Oh thanks man. That was very educational. I'm really liking the series possibility. I think I'll get it regardless of the guitar.

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:43 pm

i8chillywilly wrote:I have the fallout tribute and really like it. I seriously considered an ASAT as well but I got a good deal on the Fallout so it was a purchase of opportunity even though I wanted one. ASAT is still on the list.

Good luck and you should like either one.

Thanks and I'm glad you dropped those words in because I'm trying to decide between ASAT Special tribute and Fallout tribute. Mahogany bodies and same scale, the necks should be very close and just the different pickup options. I like P90's and just found out that I certainly can appreciate a good humbucker in the bridge when I play one. (I played a U.S. Strat with SD pearly gates in the bridge).

Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:13 am

Update: I haven't tried it either but Comanche tribute seems like a extremely versatile guitar and thank God for Mr. Leo and his Z-coils invention. Having a humbucker that behaves like a single coil. Amazing!

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:06 am

I do believe I have seen an ASAT with the z pickups. Sounds like you have a tough decision. All nice options. So you can't loose.

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:07 pm

i8chillywilly wrote:I do believe I have seen an ASAT with the z pickups. Sounds like you have a tough decision. All nice options. So you can't loose.

I'm aware of the ASAT Z3 I'm not sure if it comes with a mahogany body though. I'm just realizing that I'm pretty flexible and the vibrato bridge wouldn't bother me too much if I go with Comanche. Like you said it doesn't seem like I can loose all guitars considered must be great instruments, now the question is which one will I be most comfortable with. :problem:

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:09 pm

Tomas83 wrote:
i8chillywilly wrote:I do believe I have seen an ASAT with the z pickups. Sounds like you have a tough decision. All nice options. So you can't loose.

I'm aware of the ASAT Z3 I'm not sure if it comes with a mahogany body though. I'm just realizing that I'm pretty flexible and the vibrato bridge wouldn't bother me too much if I go with Comanche. Like you said it doesn't seem like I can loose all guitars considered must be great instruments, now the question is which one will I be most comfortable with. :problem:

see these posts in the G&L Knowledgebase:

July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options
Current G&L Tribute Series Standard Production Models

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:

Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:22 pm

Craig , it still says the SC 2 and F100 have no neck options

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:26 am

Craig wrote:
see these posts in the G&L Knowledgebase:

July 1, 2015-present G&L U.S. Specifications and Options
Current G&L Tribute Series Standard Production Models

Hope this helps.

Thanks Craig I've seen that page already few times checking out the differences. It's very helpful, and I'm glad you guys have it in here. Btw that Fallout on the home page is a very interesting one :thumbup:

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:10 am

Tomas83 wrote:Update: I haven't tried it either but Comanche tribute seems like a extremely versatile guitar and thank God for Mr. Leo and his Z-coils invention. Having a humbucker that behaves like a single coil. Amazing!

And so it begins.... G&L GAS. :lol:

That home page is an LE II limited, not a Fallout. Has a jumbo MFD in the neck amongst other assorted drooling accouterments. :luv: Plenty of info on the forum here if you search. Still a couple left I believe.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:51 am

Fumble fingers wrote:Craig , it still says the SC 2 and F100 have no neck options

Yes it does. When I got the new Price List I noticed that and asked Dave about it.
Here's his reply:

We haven’t done the CAD/CAM for different neck profiles for Fallout, SC-2 and F-100 yet. They have to be different because the blend into the headstock is different.
Changing the radius is no problem as that doesn’t care about the shape of the headstock. Same situation is true with the JB: on that the blend into the heel with the shorter,
20 fret neck has to be redone. We will probably do Fallout first, as we sell quite a few of them. SC-2 is very little, F-100 is almost non-existent, so you can imagine they’re
not a priority. Plus we have other projects that are taking up the CAD/CAM time.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:58 am

fianoman wrote:
Tomas83 wrote:Update: I haven't tried it either but Comanche tribute seems like a extremely versatile guitar and thank God for Mr. Leo and his Z-coils invention. Having a humbucker that behaves like a single coil. Amazing!

That home page is an LE II limited, not a Fallout. Has a jumbo MFD in the neck amongst other assorted drooling accouterments. :luv: Plenty of info on the forum here if you search. Still a couple left I believe.

That's my GbL LE-2. For the history and details on the LE-2, see: GbL Limited Edition II Discussion.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:37 am

Craig wrote:
fianoman wrote:

That's my GbL LE-2. For the history and details on the LE-2, see: GbL Limited Edition II Discussion.

First of all you are right. I happen to like few other companies before I knew about G&L and they haven't have all these amazing guitars. There was one or maybe two that I would consider. So that's the first problem :happy0065: the others are just banal problems like no cash or space to store them or time to play them :geek: hmm not a Fallout, I'm going to check it out, thanks.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:40 pm

fianoman wrote:I can't take the credit on this one, my buds here on the forum showed me the light. :BadIdea:

fianoman, thanks for leaking this. i am interested in the mod.